Fabutan Sun Tan Studios Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work for
Customer Service Rep - part time (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC15 March 2019
Owner and management for various lower mainland location's is HORRIBLE. Really gone down hill.
Owner rarely came to check on things, and would be "surprised" when things weren't on the up and up. She would take forever to replenish our cleaning supplies, and we would be "reminded" that the place isn't to standards.
Getting a hold of her or the assistant was a challenge.
Book keeping, accounting an absolute MESS.
The young girls hired to work there were very life inexperienced.
Overall good vibe gone.
Pros
Discount on lotions, commission
Cons
Depressing environment
overall great place to work
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 March 2019
Friendly laid back environment. My regular clients are definitely a top reason I’m still working at fabutan, it’s so rewarding. You always get the upset customer here and there but it’s easy to keep them happy and there’s always stressful shifts but the pros outweigh the cons. You can also make monthly commission. Also I think i definitely lucked out with having a great understanding and relatable manager.
Pros
Flexible hours (works around your schedule), commission, laid-back
Cons
no advancement, minimum wage
fabutan
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2019
overall great environment, loved meeting new clients. encouraging sales and educating customers was something ive learned to do. I learned how to tolerate overwhelming days as well as satisfying upset customers
Pros
laid back
Cons
long hours/ working alone
Productive and fun work place, very busy and fast pace
Salon Technician (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON30 September 2018
Days at Fabutan are busy, full of energy, lots of smiles and great services. You must multi-task being the main operator of the salon, the cleaner, the sales person, the problem solver and the technician. it is a one man show so the entire work load is on you for your shift, which keeps you on your toes! As a salon tech you get the benefit of free tanning and redlight for yourself, which is great!
Pros
Free tanning and redlight
Cons
very competitive
Great job during university!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 September 2018
was pretty fun! Great place to work during school, easy enough work but never a dull moment, Expectations are clear, and the work culture was very understanding of personal life.
Great Place To Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 July 2018
Love working here because I'm a people-person so i get to talk to lots of different people every day. The owner is great and very understanding. Love the full time hours and my co-workers.
Awesome environment
Tanning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, SK4 July 2018
It was a great place to work, fun, challenging, I met great people every day! I felt fulfilled being able to spread my knowledge of tanning and products to help people achieve their tan goals!
Worst company to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 February 2018
I worked at Fabutan for almost a year in that time i became pregnant, staff & management treated me SO different, & didn’t allow me to sit at all, I brought several doctors notes & still had to stand for 8 hour shifts with no breaks, no hours & super unprofessional staff as well as management was an utter joke, all young disrespectful dramatic girls that worked there. Managers train you to lie & upsell things to clients so they buy new products. Hours were based on how much you sold & how high your commission rate is. I worked at a location downtown for most of my time working at Fabutan, I had many scary encounters with people coming into the store, no security, not a care in the world for their staffs safety way much gossip & drama, every single girl there is trained to not be their self but to be rude stuck up liars. I highly don’t recommended working here. Avoid at all costs !!!
Pros
free services
Cons
long hours, drama, no lunch break, no safety for staff.
Good Franchise: No job security
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK22 October 2017
Awesome place to work. Very positive, upbeat atmosphere. Management sucks. Could have a job one day and lose it the next due to ownership changes. Owners wont tell you when studio is up for sale, they just sell it and new ownership wants to clean house so you lose your job after 5+ years working there.
Pros
Positive/Upbeat atmosphere and good incentives
Cons
Management can be secretive and cold
positive work enviornment with fun co workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 September 2017
Learned about products and services available. Got to meet plenty of people/customers. got to enjoy services at a discounted rate. Learned how to clean machines.
awesome workplace enviroment
Tanning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 September 2017
would open up the store in the morning, greeted customers and assisted them with tanning techniques. sold memberships and variety of lotions and products.
Pros
met new people
Cons
minimum wage pay
Great at the first, but..
Manager, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 July 2017
Working at Fabutan is fun in the beginning. Worked with lots of great girls, but a lot of them left on their own accord, or were let go due to not being "good enough". Very high turn over rate. It is extremely sales/performance based. If you expect to move up, you had better be good at sales. Typical days involve upselling product and services, hitting (sometimes intangible) goals, cleaning and maintaining the studio, and doing cash outs. Was also a manager, so that involved hiring, training, and dismissal of staff, as well as general day-today business ops, and cash management, as well as over seeing inventory. Managers were expected to bend over backwards for their locations. It gets ridiculous.

Fabutan can be very catty, and upper management is a joke. Hypocritical, judgmental, immature girls who talk down to you. After being with Fabutan for many years, I felt it has changed and gone deeply downhill. The pay was not worth the stress at all. Product discounts, and free services was nice to have; but it doesn't accommodate for the wage gap, and high performance expectations. It would be different if it the business and ownership was modeled differently, I think. It has become too much about the money, and not enough about the customers. Sometimes, I miss it, and other days I don't.
Pros
Free tanning, product discount, get to work on people and selling skills
Cons
Low pay, hard to advance within, no job security, not a lot of hours unless you are management or a top seller, catty attitude among staff
Productive work environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
Good company to work for but some Franchisee's don't run there stores properly and treat there staff poorly. Overall its a good company to be apart of
Pros
relationships with clients
Good starter job.....
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 May 2017
good job if you are in high school or first job, when i worked there it was very unorganized and nobody would ever cover your shift if you needed, but when they needed theirs covered they basically made you or you felt like your job was on the line.
Pros
Free tanning
Cons
not so friendly employees
Really a pleasure
Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON4 May 2017
Tasks keep you busy all day. Management and owner are very kind people. Good balance between guidance and management with having the freedom to be responsible. Teaches skills in sales and customer service. Shifts are not too long or too short (5-8 hours). Being an employee means free tanning, and discounted products. A great company to work for!
Pros
Good experience
Overall friendly environment with great management.
Bed Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 April 2017
The job overall was very simple due to my position making it great for a first job. The hours were flexible and easy to maintain while still in school. The owners of the location I worked in were great, very fair and friendly.
Busy, interesting, met many people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON27 March 2017
Great 98% of Customers only the 2% were a little bit off. Great Variety of work, Fast paced environment made the days go quicker, but was enjoyable. I learned about , purchasing, running your own franchise business, inventory control, remaking of business decisions.
Good some days
Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta17 March 2017
Strict with sales, never allow employees to feel job security because if you don't hit quotas you fear being fired.

Clients are fantastic, even the grumpy ones usually have positive things about them.
Pros
Fun environment free tanning
Cons
Pay strict with sales
chill job
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 February 2017
A low- stress job, is not physically demanding, training of knowledge, multitasking needed, you must have a bubbly and poistive attitude. staff and management are supportive and friendly.
Fun , productive enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2016
Fabutan was a fun easy job. Came in for shift, would check the float and ensured the proper amount of cash was there, ensured all tanning beds were in proper working order, checked the schedule book to see what time guests had appointments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fabutan Sun Tan Studios. Our community is ready to answer.

Fabutan Sun Tan Studios Reviews by Location