Fabricland

Fabricland Employee Reviews

Your perticular expearence good or bad relies entirely on your coworkers and management team. Head office will never, ever back you up. I am however very thankful for and appreciative of the covid response. Yes we were forced back to work too soon in May but the entire company requires masks. When it comes to heath and safety the owner has been very understanding and fine with management at every level being as strict as need be, and I see that is a rarity so I suppose I should be thankful. Inventory is a nightmare every summer. There is very very little computerization.
Pros
New Years dinner, staff discount, paid staff projects
Cons
Minimum wage, even management, head office will never support you, coworkers ethic make or break your experience, general customer service bs
Terrible place to work at, my friends and I endured a lot of racism and disrespect from colleges and supervisors at this place and I wouldn’t recommend my worst enemy to work Here, they do not care about employees and they blatantly will violate your workers rights but, there are a few good colleges that made working there not to bad
Cons
Toxic work environment
Great to be around like minded crafty people. You should know about sewing but if you are just a beginner the staff can be helpful in teaching you more. You learn about fabric types quickly.
The whole company is backward, upper management doesn't care about staff and blames them for sales being low (in a global recession), HR is operating in the 1970s, the only raises you'll get is if the government ups the minimum wage, and if you have problems with your manager, you have to go through them first before you can talk to the regional supervisor. ONLY apply here as a last resort.
Its a great customer serving and interacting place to work in. Joyful and respectful atmosphere. Reasonable pay. Perfect place for fabric lovers who are fond of sewing and quilting.
decent place to work. Good starter job for students or after you leave the work force. Get paid for what your job requires. Managment was great and always supportive
Terrible company for work for. Current management is good (at my local store). Their pay schedule is random and unjust - just what they feel like giving you and is usually minimum. Increases are not based on job performance or managements considerations. They are not supportive of their managers to help them with their stores. They are on their own. Company does not even try to pretend they care about their employees. Benefits are minimum of minimum. Staff get treated like a dime a dozen.
Pros
Flexible as long as the manager is on board
Cons
as above
Most important was waiting on customers and very enjoyable to help them with answering questions etc. Sale days were very busy and exhausting. Good comradery amongst most employees. No opportunity for advancement
I love working at Fabricland, I enjoy the daily socialization with customers and coworkers and it's extremely easy going. The store does become "dead" sometimes in the late closing hours but aside form that, it's okay. The wages are a little too low in my opinion and the hours are never guaranteed as they can cut your hours down suddenly and not change them back even though you express urgency for your hours. They expect maximum work for minimum wage and here where I live, everywhere is expensive to live. The health benefits could be a bit better as it is mostly just life insurance. It's a good starter job but nobody can live on this kind of a wage forever.
Pros
friendly, safe, sewing experience
Cons
boring at closing, wages too low, no guaranteed hours, outdated system
If you’re interested in sewing and crafting and being involved with different people Fabricland is the place it also requires heavy lifting ; some big roll of fabrics. There are crazy busy days as well as some quiet times that staff can use to clean up the mess and tidy up the stores
I love working at Fabricland. The Walkley, Ottawa store is very large and has thousands of different items for sale. One learns something new every day at first and every week as time goes on. Customers are seeking good information and advice about our products and their projects. We are providing value to individuals, enabling them to create their own style and have clothes that suit them and fit well. The team is highly skilled and attentive to customers' needs. The management has decades of experience and shows leadership in product knowledge, sewing and crafting skills and retail management. This has been the best work experience of my long career!
worked at the Scarborough store, cutting fabrics and trims, enjoyed looking at various fabrics but did not enjoy rudeness of customers in that area, friendly colleagues.
Fabricland is a store that will always keep you going, as there is always a crazy amount to do. The days often go by fast, but the store is nearly always understaffed and you will find yourself constantly running from one job to the next, especially on busy days when you are expected to juggle multiple customers, tasks and positions at once. Breaks are paid, and after working a certain amount of hours, you do get healthcare benefits, which is amazing for a part-time retail job. There are also semi-annual staff appreciation dinner and shopping nights, and occasional contests where you can win prizes. Unfortunately, you will often feel underappreaciated and overworked because of the amount of responsibility placed on you. That being said, your job is very secure, and though your hours may be cut in the summer, most of the year, you will be begged to work more shifts, so you can actually get full-time work here.
Fabricland was an endearing job for me because the work load wasn't too stressful and I got along with my colleagues quite well despite being the youngest one working there. I got along with the managers pretty alright as well, and I enjoyed having light conversation with customers as I helped them search for the item they needed or cut the desired length of fabric for their sewing projects. I also appreciated the breaks, there was your standard 30 minutes for lunch, and then a 15 minute coffee break before your shift was done. The only thing I will discuss about putting away bolts of fabric is that some of them can be quite heavy, but it's just practice for bigger and stronger arms.
Typical day was busy and fast paced, got occupied with big jobs or with customers. Management was horrendous and did not know how to act, however my coworkers were quite lovely making work manageable.
The staff at fabricland are treated fairly and the bosses and staff are very nice and easy to get along with in general. The job can be fast-paced and hard-working at times but most of the time it’s pretty slow. This is a great place to work at if you enjoy sewing and communicating with people that also like to do the same
Pros
Easy job, good hours
Cons
Min wage and no set Schedule
Although the work in Fabricland is not difficult, the job is not permanent one. There is no room to grow. No benefits and the wage is hard to live on in Toronto. Great for students that need a little cash.
incredibly gossipy, sex and race biased (female asian or italian), and catty all female workplace where the employees talk behind each other's back, the manager's attitude is completely unfriendly towards customers and employees alike and absolutely no training and asking for help is most times pointless and discouraged. the most enjoyable part was leaving.
Pros
friendly customers
Cons
short lunches, no breaks, long hours, weekends mandatory, catty
Steady pace. Organization an asset. Learned receiving and pricing Challenges : employee interactions, verbal communication Enjoyable: store sewing/ displays
It was a learning experience the hardest part was dealing with difficult costumers but stsff and management work together to make the community happy
Pros
Every occasion is celebrated etc easter
Cons
Good environment to wk
Loved meeting other "sewist" who were just as crazy about fabric and sewing. Enjoyed seeing staff and customers projects, and sharing ideas.
Pros
Staff discount on fabrics, notions and patterns
Cons
Have to work weekends
  1. Employee reviews