Fabricland Employee Reviews

it was really fun, loved the challenge
Inventory (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC12 April 2018
it was really fun for a first time. i learned how to count properly into groupings and put pink slips up and then weight them and lifting. fabricland was very enjoyable i would love to work their again
Pros
good pay, good communication
Cons
n/a
my opinion
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB13 March 2018
Fabricland was a good place to work. I learned something new everyday. My favourite thing to do was building displays and organizing merchandise.I enjoyed helping customers in choosing colors for their projects
Worst place I've ever worked.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Ringwood, Hampshire20 February 2018
The management here are horrible people to work for.
They are ungrateful and do not treat the staff with any respect at all.
The whole atmosphere is Terrible.
The workplace is full of loads of threatening messages which if you ask me are completely unnecessary.
DO NOT WORK HERE!
I was desperate for a job but regret ever working for this dreadful company. MOST UNFRIENDLY PEOPLE I HAVE EVER MEET!!!
Before you work here they will send you pages and pages of paperwork which state that you are not allowed to say anything bad about the company so clearly they know the reputation they have got.
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Everything about this company
Positive Enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON14 February 2018
Enjoy working at Fabricland because of my co-workers and the majority of customers that I serve. Management encourages a very positive exchange with customers. Customer service is our #1 priority and I like that
Pros
learning & helping customers
Cons
lifting and standing
Very positive workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 January 2018
I loved working there, everyone was very helpful, and I would have loved to work there longer if I could have. Everyone was very nice to everyone, and looked out for each other.
The hardest part would have been finding that perfect fabric for the customer.
the most enjoyable part would be helping the new customers find exactly what they wanted, either finding that perfect pattern to make something extra special or helping a regular find that little extra to make that perfect present for their special someone.
Pros
Free patterns once and a while, discount on everything, very creative workplace, free garments.
Fast Paced, Numerical Retail Job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON2 January 2018
- Knowing math and measurement skills were a must in this position
- think about 3D diagrams and how things would be needed to put together to attain the final result
- learned to work together to maintain job-place standards, safety and look of the store
- team work is a must, one person may cut while others put away items, or even just to help you know where an item belongs
- basic knowledge of fabrics, materials, and supplies helps one to understand what a customer needs and wants are
- knowledge of patterns outlines, and how to read a pattern is a must
- always maintained positive attitude towards customers and staff
- workplace culture is diverse, everyone brings very different characteristics, and each background gives them good knowledge on how a customer could go about fixing/making the item of clothing, costume, backdrop, etc.
- management is good and well rounded, managers tend to be busier during beginning and end of the work day as they set up for the day ahead or for the following day especially when a new shipment of items comes in
Pros
diverse and well knowledgeable staff
Cons
short hours
Great place to work.
Human Resources Manager (National) (Current Employee) –  Toronto Head Office20 November 2017
Inclusive and diverse workplace environment which allows professionals the opportunity to innovate. Fabricland offers stability and a positive, supportive work environment.
good good times
Stockroom Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 October 2017
I worked here right out of high school. I made life long friends here. It was a fun laid back working experience. If the pay was better I wouldn't mind working there again.
Co-workers make working here enjoyble and tolerable
Night Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 September 2017
The management structure in this company is archaic, sexist and based on a 1950's business structure. The owners lack basic communication skills with their managers, assistant managers and sales associates. There is a huge disconnect between the owners and each individual store. There is little to no support for employment growth.

Management at the store I work at do not have a background or training in management skills. This lack of preparedness is evident in the lack of productivity and future thinking that is clearly evident in the kind of customers we are attracting versus the type we could attract if there was fluid communication with higher management, on going training for store managers and on-going training and product knowledge for floor staff. With all of these disconnects so apparent at this store it sadness me to see its potential and not be able to show management and upper management its capacity for growth and advancement.
Pros
The other employees and customers are wonderful people
Cons
Constant fluctuating time schedules and inconsistent and unreliable hours
educational, tedious
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 September 2017
It's a good job to start out learning about fabric, but from someone's point of view who is coming from a fashion background it's an easy job to start with. An can be a little insulting to your skills, the way some customers question you, even though they ask for your option in the first place.
So I would recommend it to someone just starting in the industry or need each money from another job, their decently flexible.
Pros
paid lunches, bonuses
Cons
poor management, not willing to upgrade their methods
Boring
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manitoba6 September 2017
Nothing ever happened, we got lunch provided, the supervisowas chill but her boss wasnt, alot of disagreements between staff and no room for advancement.
Pros
Lunch provided
Good work environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 August 2017
Management was not very strong. There was conflict between management. For the amount of work required for the job the pay was not enough. There are no competitive wages making it pretty well impossible to go anywhere with the company. A highlight are company benefits and on big sales days lunch is provided. Co-workers were supportive of each other in conflicts and got along well.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Doesn't pay well, not enough constructive work to do
Incompetent management, grubby store
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 July 2017
I worked here many years ago so this review may no longer be relevant. I had a manager that mis-handled how we did inventory and I ended up with a back injury that has haunted me ever since. The same manager then refused to fill out my injury form. She didn't seem to know how.
Fun, friendly workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, Ontario.10 July 2017
I enjoyed coming to work because of the lovely people I worked with. It was very casual and relaxed. I typically worked on the shop floor serving customers, cutting fabric/trims, providing advice and assistance. I restocked supplies frequently and consistently checked my work space to ensure tidiness and safety.

Customer assistance and response was always my priority, and I frequently felt the reward of my efforts when told how helpful I was - either by the customer or by another co-worker.

The hardest (or least favourite) part of the job was working in drapery and upholstery. I primarily worked in the fashion department, so I found the task of working out chair and window measurements the most trying part of the job.

A major perk of the job was the free staff displays. The store budgeted the cost of fabric, supplies and a current pattern design, which staff were free to select and create a garment which would be displayed in store for a month. At the end of the month we were free to take the garment home.
Pros
Free staff displays, paid lunch hour
Cons
Constant standing, lifting heavy items
I enjoyed the position.. .Co-workers and management worked well as a team
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON11 June 2017
Overall Fabricland is a good place to work, positive and fun environment, helpful management and always a learning experience. There was always an opportunity to be creative with crafting and sewing projects to be displayed in the store. While a large part of this position was to assist the customer, often I learned something valuable from the customers.
Pros
Always a chance to be creative and continue to learn
Cons
Slightly unorganized
Productive and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON30 May 2017
This place is overall very good. I enjoyed my time working here and it allowed my experience of work to grow and become stronger. I learned a lot of new things.
Creative and friendly environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2017
The people who work here have a passion for the industry and those who work here full-time tend to stay here for a long time. Management is understanding and fair and has an open door policy and they welcome new ideas and feedback from staff.

Generally speaking, a great place to work. A warm and friendly environment. Results are expected, as anywhere, but there is a lot of support for employees to help them achieve their goals. Good emphasis on health and safety.
Pros
paid lunches, staff discounts, supportive head office management
inspiring, creative and productive environment
Sales Assistant/Fabric and Textiles Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 May 2017
a very customer oriented bussiness, with many innovative opportunities for creative types. alot of one on one and problem solving is required. the atmopsphere is very relaxed and organized. positions applicable to those with skilled backgrounds in sewing and upholstery.
It's a great place!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON20 March 2017
I love working at Fabricland, a typical day would involve organising, and straightening up fabrics, helping customers, cutting fabric, working cash, and cleaning. The most enjoyable part of my job is my job itself, I love working here, and I enjoy being able to work here.
Pros
The people
Cons
Low hours
great work environment
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 March 2017
The people at the store I worked at were great to work with. In fact all the stores I have had the opportunity to work in ( during Inventory) had a great work environment.
Pros
people you work with
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fabricland. Our community is ready to answer.