EY Employee Reviews

Found 168 reviews matching the search See all 5,865 reviews
High performing individuals thrive with excellent opportunity to travel
Experienced Accountant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2018
Excellent place to work for people starting their careers. High performance culture with lots of travel opportunities. Work life balance is very poor, and organization of work can be scattered.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Not enough personal time
Fun Company, Unreasonable Compensation
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2018
PROS:
- GREAT company values, lots of fun work perks (a pretty good and flexible fitness benefit, for eg), and many great firm socials.
- The environment is pretty pleasant, and you will probably develop a great professional network of ambitious co-workers and wise mentors!
- It seems like there is a huge rate of participation in the firm teams, groups, etc., and a generally high level of pride in the company.
- A sketched out path of progression (promotions) within all factions.
- At the very least, you will learn A GREAT AMOUNT, and make a lot of amazing friends.

CONS:
- This may be typical of the industry, but the length of your workday/workweek varies significantly between the seasons (specific to business cycles of your main clients) - for eg, I worked ~70 hour weeks for 3 months on end (probably 2-3 holidays in total over this period).
- The concept of overtime compensation doesn't exist (at least for co-ops), and this leads to undercompensated work. It's very easy to lose motivation.
- A (sometimes unreasonable) expectation from you to "work-from-home".
- The teams you're deployed as a part of can vary significantly in terms of how welcoming/accommodating/fun they can be. This can lead to a very stressful environment given the long hours.
- For beginners, there is also a concern re: the large variance in the level of support (in terms of coaching) provided by teams (employees are almost always promoted to "Senior Accountant"-level, even though there is a large discrepancy in their coaching skills - the promotion is largely determined by their passing of
  more... the CFE).  less
In-depth job exposure and professional advancement
Audit Manager (Current Employee) –  National Capital Region14 August 2018
As an audit manager, I manage more or less 20 engagements each fiscal year. These are composed of companies in various industries ranging from financial institutions, manufacturing, construction, sugar trading, professional services, retail companies and others.

This load is over and above the average number of engagements handled by other audit managers. As such, I have to render extended hours in the office almost every day.

In terms of experience and learning, I must say the Firm has made available every opportunity for me to embrace.
Pros
In-depth job exposure
Cons
Long hours at work
Challenging and productive with new opportunities
Engagement Auditor (Senior) (Former Employee) –  Pakistan14 July 2018
1) Day at my first work

I am always excited when it comes to undertake new tasks and assignments and when i am at work every day has its own challenges with lots of learning.

2)What i learned

There won't be no doubt if i say my first employer helped me a lot in making me a good professional.The organization taught me how to handle work pressures.

3)Hardest part of the Job

Currently i am working in a reputable organization where i deal with day to day tax matters.Its always become challenging and hard if a vendor challenges the practice that you follow relating to tax compliance.But nonetheless it teaches me a lot.

4)Most Enjoyable part of the Job

When you get notification that your salary has been credited.Apart from this for me if something challenging is assigned to me and i get this done right nothing can be more satisfying.
Pros
Outstations, free allowances, training courses.
Cons
Late sittings, hassle of driving for hours.
Great company to work for
Financial Services Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 December 2018
EY is one of the best companies to work for. The Financials Services Office Advisory - Data Analytics practice is by far the best practice that I have been a part of. It has a great culture and provides for a great working environment and experience.
N/a
Consulting (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2018
Good company, but lack of work life balance. Plus depending on the practice it might be highly advance or very primitive. That defines your experience at the firm
Great learning atmosphere
Senior, IT Risk Assurance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2018
Joining EY as a staff early in your career provides incredible learning opportunities and sets the foundation for future job opportunities. The volume of work is immense, but as long as you have the right expectations it is manageable.
Free coffee and tea, good benefits, flexible working hours, promotes diversity, advanced technology
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2018
I had a good memorable experience with EY and proud that I was given an opportunity to work in one of the big 4 firm. It promotes diversity and equal opportunity to everyone.
Pros
Free coffee, tea and soup, flexible hours, good benefits
unrealistic expectation
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2018
Work life balance is non-existent. Long hours and stressful team dynamics can result in burn-out. Depending on the individual team you may end up either liking or disliking it, teams work in silos. Manager is very important. a good manager will help you be successful and a bad manager will make life very difficult
Pros
mileage
It is a hellhole.
Senior Tax Executive (Current Employee) –  Sindh6 May 2018
The culture at the firm is discouraging and authoritarian. The management does not harness you best abilities and try to demotivate you at every possible corner.

They are milking the name of a BIG 4, where they demand a lot from you and provide nothing in return. Its heart wrenching.
Pros
The name of EY
Cons
To many to mention
Senior Analyst
Senior Tax Staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2019
Long hours during tax season including weekends estimating at least 14 hours a day. No concern for the employees well being. However, provided excellent US tax training.
Great place
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 December 2018
I enjoyed working here and met some great people. Long hours and no OT :( I was in the Assurance Practice and would work 12 hour days regularly. Overall great experience!
Great Job work / Life Balance
Senior Consultant - Internal Audit (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 March 2018
A great place to start your career. Offers excellent support for writing CPA exam and great training opportunities.Offers opportunities to travel and experience corporate and work cultures for companies in different sectors.
Pros
Great Job work / Life Balance
Cons
Relatively slow career advancement
One of the Big 4 Audit firms
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pakistan31 July 2018
Ernst & Young Ford Rhodes Sidat Hyder is one of the world’s oldest and highest ranking firms of Chartered Accountants and Management Consultants and which is ranked among the top 10 global accounting networks in the world.

I worked as an internee in ITRA (Information Technology Risk Assurance) Department over various array of assurance and other assignments.
Ey
Customer Service Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2018
EY has given me so much experience. Dealing with people and learning programs. I enjoyed my time there. I will miss EY! The people and job was great! Nothing bad to say here.
Pros
Great benefits & pension
Cons
can be a bit intense at times
Traditional accounting firm
Staff Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2018
Busy environment, terminate and hire people every and after tax season. Closed management environment. Policy not to provide work reference. Manager lack experienced.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Seasonal
Best Office
Senior Associate, Assurance Practice (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 April 2018
This is the best place to work. Hard work and long hours but it is fun and social and has a great work culture. I had to leave to move back home but I would have worked here forever.
Hard Work Good People
Assurance Practice (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 April 2018
EY is a great company but the Vancouver office has a mediocre culture. There are plenty of events. Generally the managers are good. Staff work hard. Long hours.
Unfriendly team, not open to change
Senior Consultant - Global Immigration (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2018
Typical day in the office, was to work solo with no interaction from other members of the team. Each team member would work in silo and converse over email rather than face to face (even though we mostly sat on the same floor).

Management did not understand the team struggles, nor listen to ways to improve the team and processes.
Pros
Easy walk to work
Cons
No team
Overall - good.
Manager IT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 December 2017
Good salary. Good management. Competitive bonus. Good working environment. Long hours every now and then. But not too bad overall. Would recommend.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EY. Our community is ready to answer.

52K