EY Employee Reviews

Fun Company, Unreasonable Compensation
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 October 2018
PROS:
- GREAT company values, lots of fun work perks (a pretty good and flexible fitness benefit, for eg), and many great firm socials.
- The environment is pretty pleasant, and you will probably develop a great professional network of ambitious co-workers and wise mentors!
- It seems like there is a huge rate of participation in the firm teams, groups, etc., and a generally high level of pride in the company.
- A sketched out path of progression (promotions) within all factions.
- At the very least, you will learn A GREAT AMOUNT, and make a lot of amazing friends.

CONS:
- This may be typical of the industry, but the length of your workday/workweek varies significantly between the seasons (specific to business cycles of your main clients) - for eg, I worked ~70 hour weeks for 3 months on end (probably 2-3 holidays in total over this period).
- The concept of overtime compensation doesn't exist (at least for co-ops), and this leads to undercompensated work. It's very easy to lose motivation.
- A (sometimes unreasonable) expectation from you to "work-from-home".
- The teams you're deployed as a part of can vary significantly in terms of how welcoming/accommodating/fun they can be. This can lead to a very stressful environment given the long hours.
- For beginners, there is also a concern re: the large variance in the level of support (in terms of coaching) provided by teams (employees are almost always promoted to "Senior Accountant"-level, even though there is a large discrepancy in their coaching skills - the promotion is largely determined by their passing of
  more... the CFE).  less
Ey
Customer Service Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2018
EY has given me so much experience. Dealing with people and learning programs. I enjoyed my time there. I will miss EY! The people and job was great! Nothing bad to say here.
Pros
Great benefits & pension
Cons
can be a bit intense at times
Great company
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2018
EY is a great accounting company that focus on the development of its employees in making sure that both personal and organizational goes are achieved
Traditional accounting firm
Staff Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2018
Busy environment, terminate and hire people every and after tax season. Closed management environment. Policy not to provide work reference. Manager lack experienced.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Seasonal
High performing individuals thrive with excellent opportunity to travel
Experienced Accountant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2018
Excellent place to work for people starting their careers. High performance culture with lots of travel opportunities. Work life balance is very poor, and organization of work can be scattered.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Not enough personal time
unrealistic expectation
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2018
Work life balance is non-existent. Long hours and stressful team dynamics can result in burn-out. Depending on the individual team you may end up either liking or disliking it, teams work in silos. Manager is very important. a good manager will help you be successful and a bad manager will make life very difficult
Pros
mileage
Cons
Environnement riche et très fluctuant
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tunis2 September 2018
Belle expérience de travail.
Entourage agréable.
Opportunités d'apprentissage.
Mettre les pieds dans une telle boite offre de nouvelle perspectives pour la personne. Plusieurs défis doivent être surmontés pour réussir dans une telle carrière
Professional Office Environment
Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 August 2018
The people I met were very welcoming. It's a very professional place to work at. You can easily become friends with the people who work there, and staff will help one another out.
In-depth job exposure and professional advancement
Audit Manager (Current Employee) –  National Capital Region14 August 2018
As an audit manager, I manage more or less 20 engagements each fiscal year. These are composed of companies in various industries ranging from financial institutions, manufacturing, construction, sugar trading, professional services, retail companies and others.

This load is over and above the average number of engagements handled by other audit managers. As such, I have to render extended hours in the office almost every day.

In terms of experience and learning, I must say the Firm has made available every opportunity for me to embrace.
Pros
In-depth job exposure
Cons
Long hours at work
One of the Big 4 Audit firms
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pakistan31 July 2018
Ernst & Young Ford Rhodes Sidat Hyder is one of the world’s oldest and highest ranking firms of Chartered Accountants and Management Consultants and which is ranked among the top 10 global accounting networks in the world.

I worked as an internee in ITRA (Information Technology Risk Assurance) Department over various array of assurance and other assignments.
Free coffee and tea, good benefits, flexible working hours, promotes diversity, advanced technology
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2018
I had a good memorable experience with EY and proud that I was given an opportunity to work in one of the big 4 firm. It promotes diversity and equal opportunity to everyone.
Pros
Free coffee, tea and soup, flexible hours, good benefits
Challenging and productive with new opportunities
Engagement Auditor (Senior) (Former Employee) –  Pakistan14 July 2018
1) Day at my first work

I am always excited when it comes to undertake new tasks and assignments and when i am at work every day has its own challenges with lots of learning.

2)What i learned

There won't be no doubt if i say my first employer helped me a lot in making me a good professional.The organization taught me how to handle work pressures.

3)Hardest part of the Job

Currently i am working in a reputable organization where i deal with day to day tax matters.Its always become challenging and hard if a vendor challenges the practice that you follow relating to tax compliance.But nonetheless it teaches me a lot.

4)Most Enjoyable part of the Job

When you get notification that your salary has been credited.Apart from this for me if something challenging is assigned to me and i get this done right nothing can be more satisfying.
Pros
Outstations, free allowances, training courses.
Cons
Late sittings, hassle of driving for hours.
Good for learning
Staff (Current Employee) –  Canada2 July 2018
Good for learning as your first job. Will get to work on a variety of different projects. Good for self-growth. May require long working hours. Overall a good place.
Hated it
Client Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 June 2018
I felt like a number here, and was terribly underpaid for the amount of work I was doing. The administrative staff are treated like replaceable pieces of furniture. Mundane and cold atmosphere.
Discipline
Traductrice (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 June 2018
Sévérité, discipline, peu souple et très exigeant, mais très formateur.
Pros
bon apprentissage du domaine de la finance et de la comptabilité
Cons
gestion punitive
good benefits but low salary and not accommodating job to maintain a life work balance
financial management assocate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 May 2018
throughout the day i used to meet with partners and senior managers
I also spent time with other colleagues working on same project as mine.

the hardest part is that we are evaluated on other people's work.
Empresa fucionada
Pasante area de Contabilidad (Former Employee) –  St Johns23 May 2018
Excelente paquete anual de empresa petrolera, buen ambiente de trabajo
Unfriendly team, not open to change
Senior Consultant - Global Immigration (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2018
Typical day in the office, was to work solo with no interaction from other members of the team. Each team member would work in silo and converse over email rather than face to face (even though we mostly sat on the same floor).

Management did not understand the team struggles, nor listen to ways to improve the team and processes.
Pros
Easy walk to work
Cons
No team
It is a hellhole.
Senior Tax Executive (Current Employee) –  Sindh6 May 2018
The culture at the firm is discouraging and authoritarian. The management does not harness you best abilities and try to demotivate you at every possible corner.

They are milking the name of a BIG 4, where they demand a lot from you and provide nothing in return. Its heart wrenching.
Pros
The name of EY
Cons
To many to mention
Good learning environment
Audit Associate Intern (Former Employee) –  Depends on clients14 April 2018
Managers are patient, seniors are generally friendly. All you need is just initiative. Show that you want to learn. Don't wait for work to come. But, ask for work. There are certainly many rooms of opportunity in EY environment.
Pros
Peak period refreshment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EY. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K