Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Overworked and severely underpaid
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Calary, AB23 August 2018
The facility I work for is not a good place to search for a job. Staff turnaround is ridiculous. Wages are the bare minimum and job roles are overloaded. Each department has the bare minimum for staff with too many duties. No moral. Staff argue constantly with each other and too many micro managers. Management does not deal with any major issues so the environment in there is chaos. No raises. No recognition. Upper management does not acknowledge staff when they visit. Definitely not invested in their employees one bit.
Pros
Working with the seniors
Cons
Massively overworked and underpaid
Extendicare no care
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 November 2018
Management do not support family work life balance and would rather lose you as a valuable employee than work something out, which is probably the reason for high turnover and constant job reposting.
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
Will replace you without blinking
Horrible place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oakview Place, Winnipeg3 September 2018
Management and long term employees are ignorant, lazy, vindictive and BULLIES. Nothing is done about it. You will never be praised. Expect to be denigrated on a daily basis. Upper mgmt. and head office are aware and do nothing. They are concerned with the profits!
Pros
Residents, education team
Cons
Lack of support, bullying culture, short-staffed, disrespectful culture
Stay Away!
Management (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan1 December 2018
The work life balance is not there at all especially if your in management. Esprit is a new retirement community that needs a lot of work, not sure the upper management really knows how to handle it. They risk patient safety, poor culture, dont have a common vision and a real lack of communication. The residents are amazing as well as the front line workers just unfortunate that they have a weak corporate!
Pros
Residents!
Cons
Long hours, weak corporate, poor culture
Management have very poor skills and no respect for staff
PSW (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON25 September 2018
Management team in Timmins need excessive training in how to properly treat and communicate with their staff. They hugely lack respect for them. They view their staff as "lesser than" instead of as part of the working team. Confidentiality is a huge problem. Nothing can be said to management that will not soon be known to everyone.
This Extendicare is VERY POORLY MANAGED on many fronts. ALWAYS short staff. High turnover. Very clicky. Good performance/hard workers are rarely acknowledged. Very low morale. Always been. Somewhat of a toxic work enviroment.
The staff are a great bunch to work with on the most part. They have each others back and try to help each other as best they can under the work conditions given. Many solid friendships have been made. But its a high price to pay. I would never recommend Timmins Extendicare as a place to work.
Pros
Staff are very caring; work hard; dedicated; beautiful new building
Cons
Management; always working short staff; low morale;
No one should have to call this their home
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON13 February 2019
OMG where would I even start, this company cares more about money in there pockets then the residents that live there. Always working short staffed. Impossible to give the care that you really want to give to the residents. Management refers to their PSW staff as “lazy and illiterate”. I would never put my loved one in the home I worked in unless I had a bed right beside them so that I could make sure my loved one was looked after. There is no time to engage with any of the residents. In the summer if they can’t get out for some fresh air on their own, they are stuck inside. Not enough staff.
Management just decides to transfer staff to different areas, no continuity for the residents. I could go on and on but I think you have the picture by now.
Pros
Weekends when management are not there
Cons
Working short staffed
A very nice place to work with the senior Community
Continuing Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK26 June 2018
Nice place to work, Good benefits except too much workload, Too much physical work and the management doesn't realise how much the staff is going through with shortage of staff everyday.
You are mud if you are sick
Health Care Aide - HCA - CSW-RCA (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 December 2018
I worked their than I had serious health issues and then my manager says to me ,you have been so good up until this point. I didn't plan my illness and it was from working so many hours and double shifts. The management needs to be better trained. Also if you keep treating your employees like they don't matter when someone gets sick. Something is wrong with this because I help people and get so much satisfaction out of making people happy. Then when a PSW gets sick and phones in because they don't want to make other people sick that are vulnerable and fragile ,they tell you that it's hard to replace you for that shift. If we weren't sick we would be there. So the Oshawa extended care on park Rd needs a over haul.
Pros
The clients can be nice .
Cons
Not enough compassion for people.
Place where everyone cares
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 March 2018
I am fortunate I was hired in this place as my first LPN job because everyone cares for everybody. There are 6 units and all my orientation in each unit were very helpful and informative. Nurses worked together. There is collaboration in each department for the ultimate resident's care.
Pros
Salary is above other facility
Cons
lots of residents to handle
Good Experience but low pay
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON30 September 2018
Low paying position which expects you to put in long hours. High turnover leads to extra work for the remaining analysts. Good place to gain experience.
Cons
Long Hours

Want to know more about Extendicare Health Services, Inc.?

Ask a question
Extendicare
Care Aide (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, AB25 September 2018
Working for Extendicare was an experience like none other. I learned the value of true teamwork as we would tend to the elderly. The relationships and personal growth were greatly valued, as I still carry these values in my day to day activities as a mother. The hardest part of the job was leaving. I missed the people I worked with and the seniors. I still miss them and keep in touch with them even today. A typical day at work involved daily care ( such as feeding, bathing, etc.) of the elderly. Our job was to maintain their sense of dignity throughout their time at Extendicare. I treated the seniors as I would have wanted to be treated. I enjoyed going the extra mile to make them smile, to give them that sense of peace and belonging in a place that may have seemed less like their usual home. The most enjoyable part of the job was the bonds that grew between myself and the patients. I enjoyed every minute, even the more difficult ones. This is because it gave me a sense of purpose as a caregiver and as a human.
Pros
Relationship building
Cons
Physically wearing
Overworked and Underpaid
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Port Stanley, ON13 November 2018
Great co-workers and residents but all staff are overworked and underpaid. Little recognition given to staff that go above & beyond. Certain staff are unable to take their breaks as they would not get their work done in an eight hour shift if they took a break. Older building that needs updating and newer equipment to make work environment more enjoyable for staff as well as residents.
Average place
Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON16 February 2018
- good salary
- great benefits
- nice and respectful working environment
- politics is involved
- many people not working as hard
- lots of changes in management
Worst and I only put a star cause u have to 1 to 10 they would get a 0
PSW (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON15 August 2018
Used to be the best company ,Change of management and it all went down hill the they no longer care about residents or there staff you just do what your told wether it right or wrong or you no longer have a job they will just cut your hours till you have no choice but to leave THIS IS REALLY A TERRIBLE COMPANY NOW....
Pros
non the pay not worth having to leave your humanity behind
Very good company
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK27 July 2018
I would definitely like to work there again if ever given a chance.It really helped me to shape my career and help in my professional growth.Great management .
high stress job/field
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ON10 August 2018
no comment- too stressful of work place. Long hours, forced to stay and work double shifts, forced in on night shift. Poorly organized, and managed.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours, call ins, forced to stay on job past 8 hours
It's a job
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON13 December 2018
I enjoyed working at Extendicare for the most part. The facility I worked at had great staff but was very understaffed . Which made your day a lot harder since you're picking up the extra work. But i did enjoy working for there home.
All adls
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB14 January 2019
I enjoy were I work, I love my manager and the staff I work with. They are very flexible, and we are all well trained on all the equipment. We have regular meeting and are very up to date.
Pros
Awesome staff
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive Work Environment
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ON1 February 2019
Fun, Interactive place of employment. Staff is courteous and time manageable. Love the clients and their stories every day is a new beginning never a dull moment
Cons
No Security for hours
Management position in LTC
Registered nurse is managerial Capacity (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON1 September 2018
Would not recommend this company. Have worked for over 4 LTC providers in 15 years, this is by far the worst. Poor leadership within the org , limited if any supports. No concern for the residents or their well being. Not the sort of company I will work for!
Pros
Limited oversight
Cons
Everything else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extendicare Health Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.