Extendicare Health Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Overworked and severely underpaid
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Calary, AB23 August 2018
The facility I work for is not a good place to search for a job. Staff turnaround is ridiculous. Wages are the bare minimum and job roles are overloaded. Each department has the bare minimum for staff with too many duties. No moral. Staff argue constantly with each other and too many micro managers. Management does not deal with any major issues so the environment in there is chaos. No raises. No recognition. Upper management does not acknowledge staff when they visit. Definitely not invested in their employees one bit.
Pros
Working with the seniors
Cons
Massively overworked and underpaid
Stay Away!
Management (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan1 December 2018
The work life balance is not there at all especially if your in management. Esprit is a new retirement community that needs a lot of work, not sure the upper management really knows how to handle it. They risk patient safety, poor culture, dont have a common vision and a real lack of communication. The residents are amazing as well as the front line workers just unfortunate that they have a weak corporate!
Pros
Residents!
Cons
Long hours, weak corporate, poor culture
Horrible place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oakview Place, Winnipeg3 September 2018
Management and long term employees are ignorant, lazy, vindictive and BULLIES. Nothing is done about it. You will never be praised. Expect to be denigrated on a daily basis. Upper mgmt. and head office are aware and do nothing. They are concerned with the profits!
Pros
Residents, education team
Cons
Lack of support, bullying culture, short-staffed, disrespectful culture
Management have very poor skills and no respect for staff
PSW (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON25 September 2018
Management team in Timmins need excessive training in how to properly treat and communicate with their staff. They hugely lack respect for them. They view their staff as "lesser than" instead of as part of the working team. Confidentiality is a huge problem. Nothing can be said to management that will not soon be known to everyone.
This Extendicare is VERY POORLY MANAGED on many fronts. ALWAYS short staff. High turnover. Very clicky. Good performance/hard workers are rarely acknowledged. Very low morale. Always been. Somewhat of a toxic work enviroment.
The staff are a great bunch to work with on the most part. They have each others back and try to help each other as best they can under the work conditions given. Many solid friendships have been made. But its a high price to pay. I would never recommend Timmins Extendicare as a place to work.
Pros
Staff are very caring; work hard; dedicated; beautiful new building
Cons
Management; always working short staff; low morale;
Extendicare no care
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 November 2018
Management do not support family work life balance and would rather lose you as a valuable employee than work something out, which is probably the reason for high turnover and constant job reposting.
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
Will replace you without blinking
You are mud if you are sick
Health Care Aide - HCA - CSW-RCA (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 December 2018
I worked their than I had serious health issues and then my manager says to me ,you have been so good up until this point. I didn't plan my illness and it was from working so many hours and double shifts. The management needs to be better trained. Also if you keep treating your employees like they don't matter when someone gets sick. Something is wrong with this because I help people and get so much satisfaction out of making people happy. Then when a PSW gets sick and phones in because they don't want to make other people sick that are vulnerable and fragile ,they tell you that it's hard to replace you for that shift. If we weren't sick we would be there. So the Oshawa extended care on park Rd needs a over haul.
Pros
The clients can be nice .
Cons
Not enough compassion for people.
Very good company
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK27 July 2018
I would definitely like to work there again if ever given a chance.It really helped me to shape my career and help in my professional growth.Great management .
A very nice place to work with the senior Community
Continuing Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK26 June 2018
Nice place to work, Good benefits except too much workload, Too much physical work and the management doesn't realise how much the staff is going through with shortage of staff everyday.
Worst and I only put a star cause u have to 1 to 10 they would get a 0
PSW (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON15 August 2018
Used to be the best company ,Change of management and it all went down hill the they no longer care about residents or there staff you just do what your told wether it right or wrong or you no longer have a job they will just cut your hours till you have no choice but to leave THIS IS REALLY A TERRIBLE COMPANY NOW....
Pros
non the pay not worth having to leave your humanity behind
Good Experience but low pay
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON30 September 2018
Low paying position which expects you to put in long hours. High turnover leads to extra work for the remaining analysts. Good place to gain experience.
Cons
Long Hours
Extendicare
Care Aide (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, AB25 September 2018
Working for Extendicare was an experience like none other. I learned the value of true teamwork as we would tend to the elderly. The relationships and personal growth were greatly valued, as I still carry these values in my day to day activities as a mother. The hardest part of the job was leaving. I missed the people I worked with and the seniors. I still miss them and keep in touch with them even today. A typical day at work involved daily care ( such as feeding, bathing, etc.) of the elderly. Our job was to maintain their sense of dignity throughout their time at Extendicare. I treated the seniors as I would have wanted to be treated. I enjoyed going the extra mile to make them smile, to give them that sense of peace and belonging in a place that may have seemed less like their usual home. The most enjoyable part of the job was the bonds that grew between myself and the patients. I enjoyed every minute, even the more difficult ones. This is because it gave me a sense of purpose as a caregiver and as a human.
Pros
Relationship building
Cons
Physically wearing
high stress job/field
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ON10 August 2018
no comment- too stressful of work place. Long hours, forced to stay and work double shifts, forced in on night shift. Poorly organized, and managed.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours, call ins, forced to stay on job past 8 hours
Average place
Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON16 February 2018
- good salary
- great benefits
- nice and respectful working environment
- politics is involved
- many people not working as hard
- lots of changes in management
Overworked and Underpaid
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Port Stanley, ON13 November 2018
Great co-workers and residents but all staff are overworked and underpaid. Little recognition given to staff that go above & beyond. Certain staff are unable to take their breaks as they would not get their work done in an eight hour shift if they took a break. Older building that needs updating and newer equipment to make work environment more enjoyable for staff as well as residents.
Management position in LTC
Registered nurse is managerial Capacity (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON1 September 2018
Would not recommend this company. Have worked for over 4 LTC providers in 15 years, this is by far the worst. Poor leadership within the org , limited if any supports. No concern for the residents or their well being. Not the sort of company I will work for!
Pros
Limited oversight
Cons
Everything else.
repeat postings?
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 October 2018
I see this position over and over again and I'm wondering why?

I feel for the residents at Orchard Villa as they don't have a steady hand as DOC for the facility.

I would caution you not to put your family members in this facility.
Cons
repeat job postings
Place where everyone cares
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 March 2018
I am fortunate I was hired in this place as my first LPN job because everyone cares for everybody. There are 6 units and all my orientation in each unit were very helpful and informative. Nurses worked together. There is collaboration in each department for the ultimate resident's care.
Pros
Salary is above other facility
Cons
lots of residents to handle
Terrible place to work
PSW (Former Employee) –  Port Hope, ON23 March 2018
I worked there for over 10 years as a psw. It was great when i first started but it is now ran with new management who are the worst people in the world. They treat the psw's like they are nobodys and are the dirt on there shoes. Would not recommend for anyone to work at the port hope extendicare. They suck the life out of you!!!
Pros
Weekends when management isnt there
Cons
Good
HCA Student Practicum (Former Employee) –  Holyrood, AB27 September 2018
Okay place to work, staff was friendly enough. Small facility, good people. The type of work just wan't my thing. Day shift was busy, hardest part for me being casual was never being able to get used to one wing.
na
Cook (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON22 October 2018
Unfair work schedule and there is constantly shortage of worker. The manager has favoritism and can be stressful to work in this kind of invironment.
Pros
friendly co worker
Cons
hardly any brakes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extendicare Health Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.