Extendicare

Extendicare Employee Reviews

Good workplace, cares for patients and colleagues

Featured review

Extendicare selected this as a representative review
Good workplace to work as a personal support worker, nice managers and nurses for supervising. Patient care is the focus and personal support workers get to provide support to sick patients.

Pros

good values

28 January 2021
Thank you for the positive feedback and review! We are very appreciative of the fact that we have such a caring workforce who care for the residents they serve.

Nice to with

Extendicare is a place of work and at the place you tend to meet different residents and attitudes. You have opportunity to learn the act of personal support worker

Management are unappreciative, lack leadership skills

Get on the good side of your manager socially, otherwise you are doomed. Agree to ideas even though you feel they are wrong. That’s the only way toStay employed here. Question nothing. Your boss doesn’t care about improvements to resident life. They’ll remind you that they run a business.

Pros

Residents are appreciative, great co-workers

Cons

Leadership team are not nurses and don’t understand nursing process.

Great Co-Workers, Terrible Management

Pay is barely above the poverty level, working weekends and holidays. The co-workers who work here are amazing and so was working with the residents, but that is it. Management is terrible and actively bullies their staff members publically in the halls, and in front of other staff members and sometimes even the residents. Administrators more worried about impressing corporate with flashy token gestures than the care of the residents.Health benefits are very expensive and what you get in return barely makes it worth it. Very little vacation time unless you have worked for the company for a long time. I would not recommend working for this company to anyone.

Pros

The residents, good co-workers.

Cons

Working weekends, bad pay, little vacation time, terrible management.

One of the most stressful jobs I’ve ever worked

Management is non existent/ unsupportive., staff are disrespectful towards each other , absolutely miserable bunch of people . Short staffed constantly. There is no chain of command. I feel bad for new hires / students with what they need to deal with . This place has a history of staff that just walk out and quit .

Pros

Very few

Cons

Too long to list

satisfaction in self accomplishment, great learning experience. unhealthy management support

Felling of self well being knowing others lives have been improved & an increase of medical knowledge through practical experience.Management cannot be trusted, have 2 faces...be careful!However it is comforting to know how you touch the lives of others in a positive way.

Not best management but great if you need an experience

I started to work here as HCA with no experience in nursing home/ LTC at all but staff were helpful accommodating when I need tips and query. After more than a year I passed CPNRE and got my license as LPN. The management was kind enough to hire as same and been a great experience since then. But one thing for sure which is common to most places is the shortage of staff. If need hours to work, you'll never run out on this place.

26 May 2021
Thank you for the review! We have supportive team members who lift each other up and cheer on the success. Congratulations on getting your nursing license, and thank you for your continued service to our residents.

10/10 do not recommend

If you enjoy being stressed out, and made to feel like everything wrong in the world is your fault then this might be a good job for you. Expect staff to work overtime as they don't properly schedule. It feels like a prison for the elderly. I call it Pretend-to-care instead of Extendicare.

Pros

Co-workers

Cons

Everything else

26 May 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We set a high standard for ourselves, and we're sorry to hear this was not your experience. Please reach out to us at communications@extendicare.com - we'd like to learn more so we can do better!

Horrible atmosphere

Horrid company. Even if you work there 5+ years, they don't give you full time hours, so they can pay you less. No benefits what-so-ever. 1/10 rating. Management is horrible as well. Employees speak in other languages and many treat residents poorly. Higher up tells you not to report incidents and takes zero blame. Employees and the company needs to step up. Managers and CEOs need to treat employees like they matter, and give benefits and appreciation.

Pros

Amazing residents

Cons

Everything else

26 May 2021
Thank you for your review. We're sorry you had a bad experience, and please be assured that your feedback will allow us to make continuous improvements. If you have any additional insights for us, please reach out to communications@extendicare.com.

Terrible Management

This is an older home, but it wouldn’t be so bad if they would get rid of the current Management Team. The culture is very bad on the inside.They’re unfit to manage the place.Firstly they have no respect for any of their staff, they pretend that they care but truly not the case.They’re unfair, unprofessional, unfriendly and shows favouritism. They don’t recognize hard work. Even if staff work themselves to the grave, they will turn on you at the slightest issue followed by harsh discipline.I wouldn’t encourage anyone to work there.

Pros

Benefits not bad

Cons

Territorial staff

26 May 2021
Thank you for your review. We're sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please message us at communications@extendicare.com so we can resolve any issues. Our mission is to ensure all our team members have a great experience at Extendicare.

Jobs at Extendicare

See more jobs

Encouraging

Working here was fun and more experienced gained to match any facility in future .Training and retraining is always on course while protection and safety of resident and staff is their priority

Not worth it.

Schedule changes every day including when you’re not there, no forgiveness for appointments or sickness ever. Horrible communication. The general service staff however were all very friendly outside of management! On a few occasions though I did see verbal abuse/ignoring of elders from many health care aides at different times. Would avoid honestly.

12 February 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We take all comments seriously. Please reach out to us at communications@extendicare.com to discuss further.

It was ok I guess an yes

It was nice to work there if they did or not if they did or not who knows I guess they got new people to work with them and to help them out to at the place they are at.

5 February 2021

Loving and Caring

The staff at Extendicare Peterborough show a lot of love and respect to the residents. That was what kept me motivated.The menu has great value and there is always plenty of food for hungry individuals.

Pros

Good menu items for residents

Loved my job

This job by far qas my absolute favorite from my interview, to the amazing people I had the pleasure of meeting and working with! I absolutely loved my job, it was an absolute privilege working with my favorite demographic 🙂🌺

Pros

Fabulous events, sometimes with free food!

Cons

Line ups at the elevators, but i had more time to chat with my peeps 🙂

28 January 2021
Thank you for the feedback and positive review! We are very appreciative of the fact that we have such a caring workforce who care for the residents they serve.

good company to work

i worked for this company for 6 years, if not family moved i will not think to leave my working place. All co-worker are very nice. Management is all right.

Horrible management

The only good thing about working here is your coworkers. Management pick on staff, bully you and don't help you when you're short staff. You get forced to stay if youre short staffed and don't care if you can't. pay is very low. management expect you to do work of 2-3 people. 1 RPN to give medication, dressings, vitals and deal with emergencies for 60+ residents. unsafe but management don't care or help, will sit in their office and drink coffee and say no when asked to help. avoid this place.

Pros

nothing

Cons

everything

28 January 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you had a negative experience. Our organization continues to learn every day from feedback such as yours and the management team is committed to improving in areas that are brought to our attention or alternatively, explaining the decision-making process to our team members. if you have further questions, please contact communications@extendicare.com

Difficult place to work

Co-workers are mean & are not there for the residents. May cause unnecessary drama that affects how others feel about themselves. Management knows, but very little changes. Other places I worked at provided meals for their staff at no extra cost. This place doesn’t. One doesn’t feel valued as a front line worker.

Pros

Close to my home

Cons

Co-workers are mean

28 January 2021
Our team takes feedback seriously and we welcome any concerns raised by employees. Our frontline workers are very important to us and are the backbone of our organization. We are fortunate to have team members who care deeply for our clients. We encourage you to share comments, suggestion or feedback with your supervisors. We take your viewpoint seriously and have regularly implemented new procedures aimed at improving our service to patients/clients and their families. You can reach out to us at communications@extendicare.com so we can discuss further the steps we are taking. Thank you.

Over worked, underpaid, not respected.

Not enough training, no communication from management. Nonstop work means front line workers take dangerous short cuts. The training coordinator has no idea what actually happens in the houses. Orientation was entirely insufficient. While many of the HSWs are great, some are extremely hostile. Constantly understaffed, no schedule organization, regularly asked to work doubles. Shift change is a disaster.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, hard work, no respect

28 January 2021

Great staff and fun to work there

Extendicare has great staff. Great Residents. Management needs to improve. Starting at the very top. The facilities are lacking in proper hygiene products and ADL equipment, making it hard to provide proper and deserving care to the residents.

Pros

Staff really cares.

Cons

Management is horrible

Stay Away

Patient safety huge concern. No job security, as a manager I was constantly defending my staff. Upper management all about the money no concern for how staff were treated. Let go of management and trained staff because of the cost. Untrained staff doing unsafe care. As a nurse and a manager I was afraid of risking my professional license. Glad to no longer be working there! Loved my co-workers, staff and residents!

Pros

Residents and staff

Cons

Upper management and low staff to residents ratio

28 January 2021
Our team takes feedback seriously and we welcome any concerns raised by employees. Our frontline workers are very important to us and are the backbone of our organization. We are fortunate to have team members who care deeply for our clients. We encourage you to share comments, suggestion or feedback with your supervisors. We take your viewpoint seriously and have regularly implemented new procedures aimed at improving our service to residents and their families. You can reach out to us at communications@extendicare.com so we can discuss further the steps we are taking. Thank you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extendicare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement
  • Extendicare
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?