Extendicare Employee Reviews

No Job Security ....Proceed With Caution!!!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB13 November 2019
Very stressful environment
No job security
Your hard work is never appreciated
Management use employees for their benefit and then terminate them without cause.
Dirty politics in management
Pay you very low wage rate as compared to other companies.
Extendicare
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON10 November 2019
Had a great experience working there loved getting to know each and every resident and hearing about their stories. It's a very fast paste job and lots to remember.
Extendicare
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON10 November 2019
Working at extendicare was a bit overwhelming at first but it was always fun coming in and seeing all the residents and getting to know each and everyone of them.
Could be a great place if more hours available
Heavy Duty Cleaner/Laundry Aid (Current Employee) –  Tecumseth, ON9 November 2019
Unfortunately most available shifts are on weekends so hard to maintain another job as most require some Saturdays and the usual shifts are Saturday and Sunday therefore you can't financially survive off 16 hrs and no extra hours to be picked up
Wonderful caring company!
Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Viking, AB28 October 2019
I loved working in the Extendicare facility in Viking Alberta; they really care about the residents and their health is paramount to the Extendicare employees. Working there, I have learned how to task my days and to develop my empathy skills and to practice patience and understanding. I wish an Extendicare facility was closer to my home town, for I would love to work for them again.
Challenging and rewarding work
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, AB26 October 2019
Extendicare treats their employees well and provides great care for residents and their families. It is fast paced, physically and mentally demanding, and can be stressful. Employees work as a team regardless of their education and position.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Demanding workload
Beware-proceed with caution
Aide (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON21 October 2019
If you are part time you will NOT get any weekends off! You will be scheduled every weekend! Full time in any department are just nasty mean. Also Management is terrible, very snotty and think they are above the rest. Maintenance guys are lazy. Mostly everyone is cranky and doesn’t want to be there. The company overall sucks.
Unless you have no life and don’t care about working doubles all the time and can put up with all the bullsh!t this place is for you! Otherwise look elsewhere and this goes for all departments.

The facility is old and has a mouse problem. The front office is also rude.There’s just nothing good to say about this place. Glad to be gone.
Pros
Nothing!
Cons
Definitely not somewhere to work
Director of Care (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 October 2019
I worked there for a bit but from my experience. They do not treat the residents very well at all. They yell at the residents and are not very compassionate. All they care about it making sure the schedule is filled and do not properly train their staff. They send you away for a week of training and expect you to know what your soon as you return from the training. The facility is crawling with cockroaches and pretend like is nothings
Healthcare Aide (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Tuxedo, MB8 October 2019
I have done my 2 months practicum in Tuxedo Extendicare and got selected for a casual job immediately after my course. I feel very comfortable and great place to work ...!!
Autonomy and facility team work was enjoyable but challenging
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 September 2019
Corporately and Regionally operated with facility management doing the work. limited support and little input above facility level. enjoyed the experiences with staff, residents and their families.
Pros
some autonomy
Cons
little say in policy and programs
Great place to work!
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON25 September 2019
I spent five years there until I decided to become a stay at home mom. The staff are amazing and very helpful. It is a very fast paced environment which I very much appreciated.
Management should be replaced.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Timmins21 September 2019
This place is the most unorganized and chaotic workplace. Management does not do their job and are not helpful when it comes to fixing issues or anything at all. Always short staffed and never tried to replace sick calls leaving 1 Psw with 30 residents.
Cons
Working alone all the time, therefore no breaks
Great service industry
Health Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB14 September 2019
Great place to work. Helping people. Save environment. Learning and evolving as a health care worker. You learn how to develop team work under the supervision.
Great starting job
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 September 2019
My only issue was that there wasn't enough hours for me to earn enough to live on. Part time is great but not when you live on your own. I would 100% go back and stay if I had enough hours
Pros
Great people, great food, great service expectations
Cons
Not enough hours
Great Staff, great work ethics, fun environment
RPN (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 August 2019
Overall was a great experience. The staff was very friendly and helpful in every step of the way. Got to learn a lot from everyone. Great location and work ethics.
Don't work here
Rpn (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON28 August 2019
Orientation is s joke. They are too short staffed to teach you how to do your job and then discipline you for not doing your job. When I complained it fell.on deaf ears. They can force you to stay overtime if they are short staffed which is daily pretty much. They threaten with reporting to cno. Staff is mostly jaded and overworked. When I asked long time employees why they stay they said pension. Not a good enough reason in my opinion. They just want warm bodies in slots. I had no interview and no references were called. In 20 years of nursing I've never been treated with such disrespect.
Pros
Its a job with average pay
Cons
Staffing, forced overtime, management
Work as Health care Aide
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 August 2019
- Assisting with ambulation, positioning and transferring using mechanical lifts
- Assisted/provided total personal care by following the care plan like eating, dressing, and grooming
- Maintaining computer or paper documentation of Activities of Daily Living (ADL’s) and other findings/observations
- Self-actualization by helping patient/resident/client to reach their maximum potential
Friendly Environment
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 August 2019
The Team is very compassionate and professional, management team is very knowledgeable and approachable. Work life balance is good, work environment is clean.
Great PSWs
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 August 2019
PSWs are not treated with respect by management. The PSWs work very hard and take wonderful care of the residents. Sadly, there is no positive reinforcement.
Pay is on the lower end for long term care.
Worst company
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2019
Co workers doesnot cooperate with newcomers. No training at work and understated other's capabilitie, and obviously most coworkers seems to have a habit of complaining about others to management . No appreciation , no life work balance, never appreciate works.. Worst company i ever worked

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Extendicare. Our community is ready to answer.