Export Development Canada Employee Reviews

Fast pace and lots to learn
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 March 2019
This is a company that offers opportunity to grow by tackling challenges in a fast pace environment. Motivation is high to reach the targets, sometimes those targets are a little too ambitious to reach by the whole team.
Pros
Positive management
A vibrant workplace
Translation Memory and Database Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2019
A truly modern and vibrant workplace. The building, the equipments, that environment that truly reflects the diversity of the capital. You will never regret working here.
Pros
Up to date with technology
Amazing Place to Work
Marketing Analyst (Bilingual) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario15 January 2019
Export Development Canada was a wonderful place to work. I received amazing mentoring while I was in this role and still maintain those friendships I made
Great Culture
Business Analyst (BA) | Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 December 2018
Culture is amazing, when you are lucky. Management is a hit or miss, if you get the bad ones (that don't believe in culture and come from private) try to change teams..ASAP
great
Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2018
Great place to work, management is wonderful, staff is welcoming and helpful. Culture of the organization is exceptional, with strong opportunity for upward mobility.
Great company, with good work-life balance
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 September 2018
EDC provides a good balance between professional experience and fulfillment, along with opportunites to pursue passions outside of work (i.e., personal interests and relationships)
Pros
Culture of personal balance, with opportunities to tackle professional challenges
Cons
Limited opportunities for upward mobility
Productive, happy workplace where co-workers became your friends over time
Administrator, Loans Services (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 August 2018
I was privileged to work for this Crown Corporation during the years that I did. Management was always there for you to lend a hand, to listen and to help. Team members would always help each other out to get the job done and over the course of time, it didn't even feel like going to work anymore - more like spending time with friends working on projects.
Pros
Great environment top to bottom
Cons
Bus routes made for long commute, pretty much need a car
Great overall experience
Business Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 July 2018
EDC was an amazing place to work with supportive co-workers and a great support system. Really enjoyed my time there as a student. The pros completely out-weighed any cons I experienced and I would go back in a heart beat.
Pros
Great techincal support and equipment
Cons
Busy location downtown
great place to work if you are good with constant change
Customer Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 April 2018
There is a lot of change going on at EDC and as such there is a feeling of uncertainty among staff and the vibe is not as good as it used to be. The management team is fantastic.
Good place, don't expect job security
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 November 2017
Nice place, nice building, skilled, friendly and approachable staff. A great collaborative environment where you have direct access to all levels of management.

All in all, this is actually a great place to work, good benefits, great salaries, excellent training and development opportunities. It's environment where management really understands that investing in staff is valuable.

The only concern is, it is run like a business, and if money can be saved, it will be. This does mean that contracts are often cancelled or no renewed and even full-time staff are at risk of being laid-off at anytime should there be a case to save money.

It's a tight ship, sometimes a bit too tight.
But I wouldn't shy away from working there.
EDC has a great mandate
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 November 2017
The organization has a lot to offer, like any employer, it's important to ensure you are aligned with your leader. Work is challenging and the majority of employees are great!
Pros
Great people, gym
Cons
Can be long hours...
Productive and fun place
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 February 2017
1. Very friendly environment.
2. Learned new technology and able to to share my knowledge with team members.
3. All the team member are very helpful
Fantastic Employer
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2016
This employer treated it's employees better than anywhere I've subsequently worked.The office environment was friendly,the clients grateful, and the benefits were more than compensatory.
Pros
Low stress, great coworkers, travel, training, great compensation
Cons
Large events are hetic
No coaching or training provided to students
Company Data Analyst (Student) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 May 2016
My experience at EDC, as well as other students I know has been less than optimal.

My team was composed of 4 people including myself, who worked from home 2-3 days a week, and the rest they were unavailable due to meetings.

Most of my tasks were given to me in an informal manner, often by them stopping by my desk on their way to a meeting they were late for, firing requests at me for 30 seconds, and not providing any training but expecting impeccable results.

There was no feedback despite multiple verbal and written requests, but when it was provided, it was often too late, was done in a accusatory tone, and did not seek to solve the problem, but mainly to point out failures.

My manager and supervisors were incapable of giving a straight answer to any questions, and acted annoyed when asked. Additionally, there was no recognition for my work when it was presented to other teams, which made me feel anonymous and unappreciated.

Overall, a horrible company to work for. The culture is hostile, there is no opportunities for development offered to students, and the managers were spiteful, and went as far as ruining other job opportunities for me by giving horrible references.

AVOID THIS COMPANY.
Pros
Gym
Cons
Horrible Culture and managers
Good Management Ideas
Director, Corporate Accounting (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 May 2016
Good culture, though a bit slow. Opportunities to acquire varied experiences and work in different departments either back office, middle office or customer facing roles.
Fun and easy going
auditor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 December 2015
A decent place to work for individuals who are looking to have a balance work/life style. Depending on which department you work in, the culture can vary significantly.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 March 2015
Moved from Ottawa to Mississauga and contract was extended to allow for Project transition. If I stayed in Ottawa I would not be looking for other work.
Great learning experience
INTERNSHIP (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 July 2014
I am working on a consulting project at EDC. It has a great work environment, conducive to learning and growth.
opportunity to learn various facets of finance
Regional Director, Asia Pacific (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 June 2013
A very progressive and innovative company to work for in a dynamic and challenging environment