Expocrete

Expocrete Employee Reviews

The company was continually losing business

I was the one to open the shop, and the last one to leave. They make and sell cinder blocks, but had a steady decline in business, to where we ended up on a workshare program with EI.

I really enjoy working for expocrete.

One of the best jobs I ever had. People are great. Gaining alot of valuable experience. Early shift hours for R and M department. Easy 8 hr shift. Good benefits. Profit sharing, boot allowance, precription safety glasses, molded earplugs.

Pros

Valuable trade experience.

Cons

Plant closing

Horrible

Worst place to work. Easily the most uncomfortable work environment I've ever worked in. I was let go after filing a complaint with HR, literally the next day.

Stay far away

Very bad menagement Just lie To them employees, lot of favoritism no progress stat far away.

Pros

Cons

Menagement

good place to be

I love it here. It's great to come to work everyday to a place that treats you well. the work is easy and the hours are straight forward. I enjoy the stress free work place.

Pros

good people

Fast paced environment in a seasonal role

The spring season starts with a bang with spring bookings to the large dealers and start up orders for smaller dealers preparing for the summer landscape season. Orders are either dropped into an EDI system or via phone, fax and email. Many days fly by with steady calls and orders to process. A lot of data entry, sending orders to the yard that require picking, and ensuring specialty items are on track to arrive on time. Cross training insured all CSR's (Customer Service Reps) also could cover the shipping desk when required which I found a nice change from constant order entry. We all took turns on various shifts, accommodating anyone that needed a specific time for personal needs. The comaraderie and helping each other was automatic and made for a relaxed work environment. As a temp in a seasonal position, the fast paced environment and other staff made for a busy, enjoyable time.

Pros

Frequent birthday celebrations, pizza days, bbq's and other employee functions for morale boosting and socializing.

Cons

Very intense at times with overload

great job

is a great place to work, very challenging work and hard but i liked it. if given the chance i would work there again its a very good company and very great pay

I enjoyed my time at expocrete it was a very informative time there I learned many things and got experience on a few different types of forklifts overall a good place to work, not much room for advancement within the company though.

When I left my previous very secure job of 8 years to work at Expocrete, I was extremely nervous of the situation. Expocrete is a very large company, yet they do not make you feel like you are just a number to them. The president, Vice Presidents and management are always very supportive. I have never worked in a place where upper management is not afraid to get dirty and do whatever job needs to be done to support the company, including the president working in the plant! After 4 years working with the company, it was the best choice I could of made and am very grateful to work with Expocrete.

Pros

Great benefits, supportive staff, competitive wages

Great Place to Advance in Your Career!

Expocrete is a growing and thriving company under the Oldcastle family. There are many opportunities here to advance your career. If you are hard-working, dedicated, and have a positive attitude you will be noticed for your efforts and rewarded. The summer months are very busy for most departments but can be more low-key in the winter months. To be successful at Expocrete you have to adjust to the different paces of work. Safety is a top priority at Expocrete! People really matter here.

Pros

Most of the People are Great, Excellent Benefits, Many Career Opportunties

Cons

Some negative employees that need to move on

A fair and growing company

The benefits are good, you get paid and rewarded for what you earn. Nothing is just handed to you, you have to work for it. Now owned by Oldcastle, a lot more attention is given to equipment upgrades and career advancement opportunities. Since the the company was sold I have seen a lot of people in the office, plant and yard change jobs and move up. The corporate office was moved to Acheson and every manager has an open door policy which is nice if you need to talk to HR or even the president. the company is still hanging on to some employees that resist change but because they are experienced with the production machines and Oldcastle values tenure, they are still here. They're good at what they do but are sometimes too controling and grumpy. Days are long and hot just like any other old plant. You must be physically fit. If you're expecting hand-outs, look elsewhere but if you're looking for honest hard work and opportunities to move up or change careers anywhere in the world, that's what it is.

Pros

Career Advancement, benefits, hands-on

Cons

A few unpleasant employees but most are good

did not enjoy working here

company supplied no willingness to train for job advancement. Company management for employees was unfair and did not seem to care for the empowerment of workers.

Pros

learning about cement blocks

Cons

fighting to get forklift training

Management only cares about themselves

It all about numbers. That Management does not care about the safety of the employee or the well being of them. They only care of the number and they don't care how they get those numbers.

Pros

free food

Would not recommend

I would not recommend or refer anyone to work here. Company first mentality they do not care about their employee's at all. horrible working conditions inside the plant.

Cons

Long longs, terrible shifts.

Loved everyday

The part of my job i had to work front loader and it was fun have not had a job i had the most fun at. The people where good to work with and i had so much fun doing it as well

Pros

I loved my job

Cons

Nothing Bad to say

Productive and family oriantated companies

A typical day at work was good. Working on a team. Management only cared about themselves. safety was their number one fundamental. cleaning. working with friends.

Pros

free coffee and dounts

Cons

long ahours

Nice place to work

Expocrete is a part of a much larger organization called Oldcastle. This wasn't always the case. Since Oldcastle bought Expocrete - there seems to be lots of opportunities for advancement. One guy even got sent to the US for a promotion or something like that. The benefits at Expocrete are really good and there are no lay offs. If you work hard - you get noticed and get more. The most enjoyable part of the job is all the people. The worst part is sometimes days are long but not bad if you like overtime. Oh and a girl from the yard got promoted to an office job. That's cool.

Pros

Benefits, no lay offs, advancement opportunities

Cons

Long hours, dusty

Not a good place to start a career.

A typical day at work involves, lackluster safety sense and enforcement, a general sense of dread from plant to plant, and most of us counting the hours till we can go home. I learned that a production style career is that of a depressing choice of work. Especially here at Expocrete. Most of the machines here are in varying states of being broken, and require almost constant worker intervention to keep it doing its job. The most infuriating part of the job is seemingly non-existent preventative maintenance, if every piece of machinery did what it was supposed to without the constant stream of faults and alarms,production numbers would skyrocket, but it seems like shutting down for a few days is just too much to trade. Employees are almost untouchable depending on how much you are liked by your boss or supervisor. Workplace culture is basically passing the job onto someone else who is already dealing with others BS. Most of us feel like we were "A"and "B" players who have been mistreated and had our concerns shoved back into our faces so we became "C"and "D" players and all the while management claims to have no idea why. I wouldn't recommend anyone with any self-worth or dignity to work here, because you will be driven mad about how such a large company can ignore it's employees concerns. Until then put on your happy faces and don't raise your voice.

Pros

Average wages

Cons

Terrible peer to peer interactions. Awful equipment. Favoritism.

They dont care about there employee's

if you want to bust your butt and have no job security this is the place to go. If 'you don't mind getting abused and have no life after work. here you go, have fun. it sucks

Pros

Cons

management doesnt care about the employee's

Great Team, Productive Friendly and Fast Paced

I really enjoy working here. The days fly by. There is never a dull moment and the customers are excellent to deal with. Everyone is treated as equals the Executive team really go the extra mile to show the appreciation they have for the sales team. the company focused on safety. This company has been one of the best so far in my career to work for

This was a temporary job through a temp agency. No advancement. Just labour.

A typical day at Expocrete is a very early morning, arriving at work and stacking bricks off a machine for 10-11 hours a day, 5 days a week. management was concerned more with productivity then well being of employees and were not very polite about issues they had to talk about. Co-workers were alright but also lacking in manners. The hardest part of this job was showing up everyday putting your best foot forward for a very labour intensive shift and not advancing in the company, and having sore elbows and hands after week 1 of work from poor rotation of workers and machines.

Pros

No traffic on way to or from work. Early start early finish. Decent starting wage.

Cons

Dusty environment, poor management, poor rotation on heay labour machines, causing sore and stiff joints frequently. This job is who you know, not how you work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Expocrete. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5Job security/advancement