excelHR Employee Reviews

Contractor placed by ExcelHR
HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 August 2018
I have been working on a job placement through ExcelHR for over 7 months.
I have been very happy working with and dealing with them.
My placement agent has always been very good to me and very quick to respond to any communication by either myself or the company that I have been working with.
Stay away
Resource & Account Manager -Liaise (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 March 2018
I was surprised to see that their most tenued employee had been with the company for only 2 years. I see why; there is no work life balance, you work for ExcelHR to succeed while you are expected to give up your life completely uncompensated. They expect all your time and their commission structure is impossible to achieve unless you work 23 hr days (they will leave 1 hr for you to go get a coffee). Management are incompetent and have an attitude of greatness, very condescending and unappreciative. They have a shopping day which is a slap to the face, they can give you that money (which trust me you have worked like a dog for) to shop and they decide how you spend it, instead of compensating you accordingly for your work and letting you keep that for your own pleasure. Not for someone who has a life, planning a life or wants to live.
Pros
Cons
Long horus
Official response from excelHR
6 April 2018

As a former employee, we are surprised to see that your knowledge of our company is not that accurate. Our most tenured employee has actually been with us for 27 years. In fact, we have 6 employees who have been with us for over 20 years and another 14 who have been with us for 10+ years. We value our team and are invest in their professional development.

We agree that this industry is not a great fit for everyone. This is a sales role – your efforts impact your rewards. But that’s the nature of the business. Our standard work hours are 8am to 5pm and there is no expectation for team members to work additional hours. There are some employees who are dedicated to making placements and stay late to work on a search, but it is certainly not a requirement.

We have an open door policy and encourage two-way communication. If there is ever a concern about hours worked, or commission structure, team members are welcome to consult any member of the leadership team. As you look ahead to your next opportunity, we would strongly recommend that you chose in-person communication to voice your concerns so that you can reach a solution. Posting negative comments online doesn’t get you any further ahead personally or professionally.

Very Good Contracting Company
Contract Worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 October 2017
Much Like any other contracting company depending on contract salary is nice still uncertain whether or not i get benefits. Only been with excel for less than a year.
Very pleasant and friendly team! Great agency to work for!
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 September 2017
My first interview with an intake officer at the agency was very straight and to the point. She encouraged me and gave me the confidence I needed! Wonderful people with a lot of class and encouragement! The assignment I have is very challenging and have lots to learn! The staff are great and so helpful! I learned a new program that is so interesting and great to work with. It stores data, does billing, access clients to start programs of their own etc.
Anytime I need help from a manager, they are available and so patient with me. I am demanding sometimes to much on myself, I want to accomplish things without to much errors. The hardest part is that I tend to take my job personally and want to do too much so I have a hard time knowing what is the most important thing to do first as I think everything is important. What I love about this job is the people I work with and enjoy what we are doing for our clients as to become better for their new careers.
Pros
Free coffee + Staff who smiles
Good Interpersonal Skills
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 September 2017
Good communication Skills and always ready to give you the right guidance and suggestion. I have been with ExcelHR for past one year and got the opportunity to have experience in OPS as well as in Federal Job market. I really recommend people to join the company for their job search. Wonderful and great collaboration and trustworthy people.The only issue is the rate scale is too low.Otherwise appreciate their dedication and hard work and prompt response.
Pros
provide good guidance and suggestion
Cons
Salary wise need to increase as working 11.25 dollars per hour is too less
Nice company to start building up career in Public Service
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 September 2017
Almost right away they find you stable contract.
Good ambiance in placements.
Attentive agents.
No place for salary advancement, but not always their fault.
Pros
quick access to government jobs
Cons
low salary
Exemplary experience~
Receptionist/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa20 July 2017
As a long standing member of excelHR's administrative temporary staff, I feel fortunate for the wide variety of interesting assignments with Ottawa's top employers that I have been given.

The staff are helpful, kind, and respond quickly to my questions and payroll is a breeze. The staff have offered a variety of types of roles.

Working on a temporary basis is a great way to meet new people, explore new skills and new tasks. It is challenging when you are between jobs, and a good firm will keep you busy.
Pros
continuous, meaningful work
Cons
downtime between temporary assignments
Great Positions and Great Consultants
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 July 2017
ExcelHR has very diverse and interesting job opportunities in the private and public sector. They are always very friendly and helpful when calling and presenting me for positions. They maintain the upmost professionalism and always keep my best interests at heart.
I would recommend them to everyone!
Top Notch Staffing Firm!
Administartive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 July 2017
I've worked with excel on a few contracts over the past 2 years. I have found their services to be fantastic. They have always been nothing but professional, honest, and trust worthy. I have never had a bad experience with them. When I met them for an interview, it was very thorough, they asked good questions, I completed testing, and they did references. They explained the whole process so I knew what to expect. I was hired on contract shortly thereafter. I've had great salaries and was placed in really amazing work environments. They followed up with me throughout my contract and I found them to be really professional.

I'm really surprised at the other comments, my experience was nothing but amazing!

I highly recommend excelHR!
Pros
great opportunities, competitive and high paying salaries, professionalism.
Cons
can't think of anything
Love my career!
Business Development and Talent Aquisition (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 May 2017
I have had the ultimate pleasure of being part of this wonderful firm for over 26 years. We are a family of hard working, fun and collaborative professionals who genuinely care about our clients who are seeking employments and our employers. Thank you for your open door, innovative and supportive management and mentorship! Barb Streiftau
Pros
Motivating and helpful team, fun, great management and continuous learning
Great agency with amazing staff!
Senoir Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 May 2017
I have been dealing with ExcelHR for just over two years now and can honestly say that every interaction I’ve had has been so great! They are very professional and friendly, and I am impressed with how well their company is managed. I have received check in emails once in a while, and messages just to make sure everything is going well, and any time I have had any questions they are more than willing to help answer them. During the staffing process of a particular contract, they went above and beyond! They aided in the update of my resume as well as guided me through the process making me feel at ease! Being out of work wasn’t on their list of priorities (nor mine), and it wasn’t too long before I was working again! They are such an amazing Agency, and I have received nothing but great experiences from them!
Pros
Gaining excellent admin experience
Cons
Occasional long hours, and breaks in contracts
To avoid
Former client (Former Employee) –  Ottawa4 May 2017
Such an unprofessional agency, greedy for money, carelless about people credentials, lack of honesty when dealing with people.
Great Team and Company Culture
Recruitment and Placement Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 April 2017
ExcelHR has a company culture like no other. If you want to be part of an amazing team, create amazing friendships, and get rewarded for your hard work, then this is the place for you. Yes, you are busy, work long hours and are often stressed out because of it. The reality is that you are working on the client's clock. If you want to be successful, you put in the extra hours in order to fill your orders and meet the clients needs. Management is always there for you, guiding you through your desk and clients. If you want to succeed and grow your desk, you can. You just need to put in the work. This job is not for everyone. You need the right personality and need to want it. This isn't for people who want to work a regular 9-5. This company invests in you and in return, you will invest your time and energy into your work and team. I have learned such valuable skills from working at ExcelHR and since leaving, I have been successful in my career thank to everything I learned at this job.
Pros
Company culture, fun work events, great salary and incentives, fantastic training, support from management, opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Long hours, unpaid overtime, stressful deadline-driven environment.
Supportive, loyal and fun environment
Recruitment and Placement Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 March 2017
I am excited to come to work every day. People always tell me that they can see I'm very passionate about what I do and that I must love my job - I really do! I am blessed to love the people I work with, have opportunities to learn new things every day and challenge myself. It is rewarding to help people find work and help out clients find the perfect candidate.

The best things about my career in staffing are the people. The clients and candidates we work with are loyal and make it fun to come to work. I love a new challenge and helping make the right match. We represent wonderful people in the Ottawa area and do our best at finding work for those we can based on our clients' needs. We get to meet people every day during interviews and get to know new industries with supporting our clients.

If you are goal driven, self-motivated and love meeting new people, this is a great career path for you. We work in a team oriented environment and love reaching personal goals. I have the opportunity to manage my own desk while getting the support from our very approachable leaders. We are positive and enthusiastic and love to have fun!

I couldn't be happier to call work my second home. At times we will work long hours, but simply because we believe in serving our customers needs and delivering the best possible overall experience.

I feel spoiled to be surrounded by people I love in a beautiful office where I continue to learn and grow. I've had the opportunity to learn so much over the years and continue to learn new things every day. I've had the opportunity to participate
  more... in various courses and programs in support of my professional development.  less
Pros
Dynamic team, approachable leaders, opportunity for growth
Good for just starting Out
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 January 2017
I started working for EXCEL HR in April 2016 and It was a great experience as the staff was friendly and knowledgable and gave me the list of tasks I was to preform which made my transition into the company a lot easier.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Short term contracts
Constant Learning Environment
Recruiter and Placement Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 November 2016
Interesting and fast paced environment with the ability to launch you into a professional career. I always learned something new, and was able to apply many aspects of my schooling to my every day life.
Pros
Team Building
Cons
Long Hours
assistant for government award show
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 October 2016
I helped with registration, I would give directions, paper work such as helping with applications. I would start at 9:00am till 5:00pm
My long time friends since day one.
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 March 2016
I came onboard with Excel Personnel when full time jobs were scarce in the 80's. They have stuck by me through thick and thin, and I will NEVER leave them even through retirement. If called upon and can perform the task requested, I shall answer their call. Excel will be there with full support. Go team Go!.
Money hungry comission based
Former recruiter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 January 2016
Don't EVER try excel. They work on comission and have a quota to reach so just because you get a call doesn't mean you are guaranteed a job. And when you get a job, it's demeaning, low paying, virtually no training, no benefits, horrible horrible place! Don't even get me started on their snotty, dishonest, recruiters. I dealt with one who constantly lied to me about job opportunities, gets me to come in for multiple interviews, praises my experience and resume and at the end of the day no job! They work on registering you in their system to show they reached their comission quota. Try Adecco, hays and many others. Excel has a bad reputation despite of what they think.
Consistency and reliable communication
Sub-Contractor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa26 August 2015
ExcelHR is a wonderful company to help recent graduates and unemployed professionals find fast and reliable work in a variety of industries and organizations. They have provided me with opportunities in entry level work relevant to my field of educational framework. I've had the opportunity to greatly expand my network of professional connections as well as develop existing and new skills into valuable competencies towards my career development.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at excelHR. Our community is ready to answer.

excelHR Reviews by Location