Excel Homes

Excel Homes Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
It's a competitive builder like any other builder. Good salary and benefits. Good people to work with. There's a recession happening at the moment therefore there's no job security.
Pros
Fair salary
Cons
No job security
This job entitled me to utilize all my skill sets and helped me develope into a necessary resource with Excel Homes. I learned and taught a lot there
Pros
a great team to work with
Cons
Lots of off time calls got IT assistance
Productive fast pace and good employer employee relationship.Very fun to work with.They are very best company to work with and I would love to work with them again if opportunity given.
Excel is a excellent company that is always looking for new ways to make their employees happy. I have worked for other builders, I can honestly say whether you're just a labour or the CEO, everyone is treated equal which I have not seen in any other company. There is always room for advancement.
Nothing bad to say. There was great people at this company and they gave you the training you needed to succeed. They were fast paced at the time and don’t regret the experience I received.
Unable to give informed opinion as I have not worked for Excel homes for 8 years .
New management and better environment was and needed ingredient .
Pros
Annual company get aways
Cons
Poor Managment at the time
If you enjoy a specific area of construction and Excel hires you to do that, you will eventually loose your passion and not enjoy contributing your talent to these type of business people. You will be highly skilled after having to do more to salvage more situations than most companies. Saw 4 rounds of layoffs during my overworked time. Many good people brushed off like nothing. Just got paid out to the end of the week, no specific reason given. But it was more of a relief to not have to work for an untruthful top heavy management .4
Only cares about sales. Management always on your butt. Overworked and long hours expect to work for a minimum of 40 hours a week even as a sales associate.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, only care about sales, not your well being
Great company to work for and great place for advancement and stability for a long time career. Family oriented culture and you are well taking care of.
Culture is poison. Management is inept. Poor workers are rewarded while team players are thrown under the bus. Very High Turnover of good staff. Those that aren't fired - quit.

If you want to be under paid, under appreciated and pressured and harassed by upper management every day of your life then this place is perfect for you.

Horrible finger pointing, never good enough, fire anyone at anytime for stupid reasons. Gives them the excuse and budget to stock up on the already bloated executive team.

Do something good for yourself, avoid this builder like the plague.
Pros
non
Cons
read the reviews
Family oriented. Great place to work. Hard work is recognised and rewarded. Would love to work there as a permanent staff someday. Great experience. Friendly staff.
Pros
Free food. free breakfast. free coffee. free snacks. free juice/pop
Cons
Management rarely communicates expectations with staff. Top down mushroom management style where staff are lied to, and treated like dirt. Funniest thing to watch is the surprised look you get when you submit your resignation.

What needs to improve;

1. Overhaul of senior management

2. Hiring process - keep in mind this is the best you will be treated and this is mediocre at best.

3. Stop blaming staff for your mistakes. You never asked their input or opinion yet blame them for the failure of your plan.

4. Small minded execs who love talking smack about their staff and will tell everyone except the staff member concerned.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
See below
I really enjoyed my time at Excel Homes. The opportunity to engage and develop relationships with customers was plentiful. The potential to earn a very good income was there for those who worked hard.

The only issue I had was with the sales managements inexperience.
Pros
Great earning potential
Cons
nothing bad to say
Sales is goal # 1. Management wants only sales and if the staff have to get beaten up to achieve this results, they will even train people to beat you up. If you're a brown noser, you'll love this place. Excellent benefits and perks. Management cherry-pick their favorites to run the show who are mostly bullies. They fool you to believe that the company has a great culture. The closer you work with management, the more you'll have to endure.
Pros
Excellent perks
Cons
Leaders don't know how to treat their people
Company is very sales-oriented meaning the other departments bear the burden. Office environment is negative and stressed due to poor leadership and conflicting priorities. Expectations are very high giving two results: 1) competent co-workers, 2) poor work-life balance. Managers don't understand the concept of time management. Lower level employees are basically expected to manage themselves and the company's priorities with little direction and often incomplete or inaccurate information. Perfect place to work if you love doing things two or three times over.

Good benefits and training are provided for those who want to move up - you just won't want to.
Pros
Training provided, benefits are good.
Cons
Misdirection, misinformation, and miscommunication; poor work-life balance.
I learned many new skills in construction. I've learnt the process of building houses and all the necessary skills for Framing, spray foaming, drywalling, painting, etc. Everyday changed depending on the situation and progress of each and every House that we were building. some off the harder days were spent digging a trench or moving heavy material between the houses.
Pros
good hours and a fun/ hardworking people
Cons
site clean
fast paced production builder with daily challenges great co-workers and staff