Eskimo Point Lumber Supply

Eskimo Point Lumber Supply Employee Reviews

Canada18 reviews
After completing school, this is a good place to start your career and apply what you learned. I had the chance to learn from others and allow myself to grow into my career of choice
Pros
flexible accomodating work environment
Cons
at times a lack of clear direction and inconsistant guidance
EPLS is a terrible place to work. They offer no work place balance. Store level management are over worked and grossly under paid. No clear direction from the office. Constant battle between store staff and Winnipeg. Was told I wasn’t allowed days off because the store was more important. They use and abuse anyone hired from the south and don’t treat people with respect. They speak ill of the local hires behind their back all the time as if Inuit are lazy and stupid. Would not recommend this company to anyone. The staff working in the Winnipeg office clearly think they are smarter than everyone else. If you have any other options choose other options always. Extremely disappointed in this company.
Good Place to work but the turn around was to much, I needed to be home! 6 weeks was to long! They do pay you for food and supply housing,I found sitting around instead of working was not easy for me
A good place to grow and experience opportunities in the North that most people may never have the chance to ever do or see, from entry level laborer to supervisor , leadership roles
EPLS is a growing company with multiple business portfolios that will help any employee gain valuable professional experience. Its family-like culture nurtures a working environment that is fun, collaborative, and supportive. Managers and executives are easy to communicate with especially when you need confirmation/decision in order to continue doing your tasks.
Beware,be very aware.lots of promises made,lots of broken promises.Unethical on so many fronts,too many amateurs running the show. It's a family business which is the only positive,
This company is not a place anyone should work for.
They have no clue as to what they are doing in management.

The people who work there, are rude, lazy, and are outright sickening to work with, The bad language work is as frequent as saying Hi.

My advice to anyone who considers working for this company, better be prepare to be treated terrible, by management and the long time employees working there. If anyone truly looking for work, don't work for this company. You will be sorry if you do.
Pros
Cons
Management and long time employees
I’m from the east coast and I quit my job on the promises they made to me. Once I started working I realized they weren’t planning on keeping any promises and went back on some of the terms of employment. Blew my mind that companies like this still exist and that they don’t need to answer to the employment standards set by the government. Which are bare minimum to start with.
Pros
Cons
Lots
They make promises and dont keep them. They promise this and that and nothing comes of it. They expect everything but give nothing in return except stress and demands.
They dont value their employees and it's a rotating door of people.

The only high ratings were written by them....
Cons
no support to first time workers arriving there. you're on your own..
They get you to quit your previous job by making false promises just to get you there and deny they promised you anything!

Used car salesman tactics.

Very little overtime offered. Usually 40-50 hours per week.

Zero workers safety involvement. I got the feeling that safety was frowned upon.

Its an amateur operation, Did a few rotations and left.
Pros
different place to see
Cons
all of it
I am a loader operator and wish to work for nassittuq in alert and willing to travel and be in a camp I am also a haul truck driver plus can operate other equipment such as grader and back hoe
Pros
Driving a loader
Cons
Not enough hours
Great staff and working environment, everyone there really seems to enjoy their jobs, lots of smiles and laughter. A great opportunity for anyone wanting to experience a unique way of life and immerse themselves in a different culture.
Pros
Family business, culture, friendly
Cons
cold winters
Awesome company to work for. Great team and very good social benefits. Very good perspective for the future. Great management goals. Good salary. Love to work for EPLS.
Pros
team, management, social benefits
Cons
EPLS is a great company to work with! What started as a family company clearly blossemed into a respectable business throughout the north - which kept their family oriented values!! The EPLS team are all wonderful people - management are great to deal with and working and helping the community in itself is very rewarding! EPLS makes the transition to the North as easy as they possibly can. I would highly recommend EPLS to anyone who is looking for a fulfilling career with great benefits and the ability to advance through the company. The choices and possibilities are endless!
Pros
Family oriented, Great team, Benefits, Experience and long lasting memories of the north!
They flew me up, first time in Nunavut, I was stranded in Winnipeg with no place to stay. I got up there and was alone at the airport. Had to wait 3 hours for someone to answer an email and pick me up. Once I started working everything that they promised was a lie. Took the first opportunity I could to get back home!! What a horrible company and a terrible experience.
Pros
Good wadges, low tax in Nunavut
Cons
Everything about the company
Promised the world, once I quit my job and flew up they totally went against everything they promised. Not a good place to work away from home. Very stressful. Management do not provide the tools to perform the job and expect you to perform to an above standard with out them.
Pros
Unfortunately none
Cons
No sick days/ expensive medical package
EPLS has a great work environment. The people are friendly and welcoming - and the compensation/benefits are competitive.
I would highly recommend EPLS to anyone who would like a fulfilling career and future development opportunities.
Pros
Family Oriented, Great Co-Workers, Good Benefit Plan
The manager told us that having a red seal means nothing, they have no respect for the work it takes to attain a red seal in a trade. Our proffesional opinion and attention to safety is laughed at where is would be admired at any other company. They make big promises and once you are hired take them all back. Unless you are completely desperate I stongly recomend not applying.
Pros
Money if you get paid
Cons
Can't depend on getting paid for hours worked