Eskimo Point Lumber Supply

Eskimo Point Lumber Supply Employee Reviews

good palce to start your career

After completing school, this is a good place to start your career and apply what you learned. I had the chance to learn from others and allow myself to grow into my career of choice

Pros

flexible accomodating work environment

Cons

at times a lack of clear direction and inconsistant guidance

No chances of advancements, horrible management staff

You can/will work there for years and never get the chance for advancement while others work there for 3-6 months and poof they're your boss. A terrible set of management staff who are relics of previous positions from different work environments.

Cons

Employees are alway wrong and management is always right

All corporate, not a family company at all

say the wrong word and get written up by HR in Winnipeg, who have never even been to Nunavut! No respect for the Inuit way. Everything is Winnipeg based, with no reality for the Nunavut way.

Pros

Cons

they lie, promise the moon, housing in Nunavut is sub par.

Horrible work place

EPLS is a terrible place to work. They offer no work place balance. Store level management are over worked and grossly under paid. No clear direction from the office. Constant battle between store staff and Winnipeg. Was told I wasn’t allowed days off because the store was more important. They use and abuse anyone hired from the south and don’t treat people with respect. They speak ill of the local hires behind their back all the time as if Inuit are lazy and stupid. Would not recommend this company to anyone. The staff working in the Winnipeg office clearly think they are smarter than everyone else. If you have any other options choose other options always. Extremely disappointed in this company.

Interesting

Good Place to work but the turn around was to much, I needed to be home! 6 weeks was to long! They do pay you for food and supply housing,I found sitting around instead of working was not easy for me

Family owned , values based company, continually growing

A good place to grow and experience opportunities in the North that most people may never have the chance to ever do or see, from entry level laborer to supervisor , leadership roles

Diverse, collaborative, warm, and friendly work environment

EPLS is a growing company with multiple business portfolios that will help any employee gain valuable professional experience. Its family-like culture nurtures a working environment that is fun, collaborative, and supportive. Managers and executives are easy to communicate with especially when you need confirmation/decision in order to continue doing your tasks.

Dont waste your time

Beware,be very aware.lots of promises made,lots of broken promises.Unethical on so many fronts,too many amateurs running the show. It's a family business which is the only positive,

Bad company to work for.

This company is not a place anyone should work for. They have no clue as to what they are doing in management. The people who work there, are rude, lazy, and are outright sickening to work with, The bad language work is as frequent as saying Hi. My advice to anyone who considers working for this company, better be prepare to be treated terrible, by management and the long time employees working there. If anyone truly looking for work, don't work for this company. You will be sorry if you do.

Pros

Cons

Management and long time employees

Worst Company I have ever worked for

I’m from the east coast and I quit my job on the promises they made to me. Once I started working I realized they weren’t planning on keeping any promises and went back on some of the terms of employment. Blew my mind that companies like this still exist and that they don’t need to answer to the employment standards set by the government. Which are bare minimum to start with.

Pros

Cons

Lots

One of the worst northern employers

They make promises and dont keep them. They promise this and that and nothing comes of it. They expect everything but give nothing in return except stress and demands. They dont value their employees and it's a rotating door of people. The only high ratings were written by them....

terrible place to work

no support to first time workers arriving there. you're on your own.. They get you to quit your previous job by making false promises just to get you there and deny they promised you anything! Used car salesman tactics. Very little overtime offered. Usually 40-50 hours per week. Zero workers safety involvement. I got the feeling that safety was frowned upon. Its an amateur operation, Did a few rotations and left.

Pros

different place to see

Cons

all of it

Heavy equipment

I am a loader operator and wish to work for nassittuq in alert and willing to travel and be in a camp I am also a haul truck driver plus can operate other equipment such as grader and back hoe

Pros

Driving a loader

Cons

Not enough hours

Great Family Business

Great staff and working environment, everyone there really seems to enjoy their jobs, lots of smiles and laughter. A great opportunity for anyone wanting to experience a unique way of life and immerse themselves in a different culture.

Pros

Family business, culture, friendly

Cons

cold winters

Awesome company to work for. Great team and very good social benefits. Very good perspective for the future. Great management goals. Good salary. Love to work for EPLS.

Pros

team, management, social benefits

Cons

Rewarding and uplifting work environment

EPLS is a great company to work with! What started as a family company clearly blossemed into a respectable business throughout the north - which kept their family oriented values!! The EPLS team are all wonderful people - management are great to deal with and working and helping the community in itself is very rewarding! EPLS makes the transition to the North as easy as they possibly can. I would highly recommend EPLS to anyone who is looking for a fulfilling career with great benefits and the ability to advance through the company. The choices and possibilities are endless!

Pros

Family oriented, Great team, Benefits, Experience and long lasting memories of the north!

Horrible place to work

They flew me up, first time in Nunavut, I was stranded in Winnipeg with no place to stay. I got up there and was alone at the airport. Had to wait 3 hours for someone to answer an email and pick me up. Once I started working everything that they promised was a lie. Took the first opportunity I could to get back home!! What a horrible company and a terrible experience.

Pros

Good wadges, low tax in Nunavut

Cons

Everything about the company

Poor Management and low wages

Promised the world, once I quit my job and flew up they totally went against everything they promised. Not a good place to work away from home. Very stressful. Management do not provide the tools to perform the job and expect you to perform to an above standard with out them.

Pros

Unfortunately none

Cons

No sick days/ expensive medical package

Great Team Environment!

EPLS has a great work environment. The people are friendly and welcoming - and the compensation/benefits are competitive. I would highly recommend EPLS to anyone who would like a fulfilling career and future development opportunities.

Pros

Family Oriented, Great Co-Workers, Good Benefit Plan

Not the place for a tradesperson that wants respect in there trade

The manager told us that having a red seal means nothing, they have no respect for the work it takes to attain a red seal in a trade. Our proffesional opinion and attention to safety is laughed at where is would be admired at any other company. They make big promises and once you are hired take them all back. Unless you are completely desperate I stongly recomend not applying.

Pros

Money if you get paid

Cons

Can't depend on getting paid for hours worked

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Eskimo Point Lumber Supply. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4