Equitable Life of Canada Employee Reviews

Not a longterm employer
Group Benefits (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 March 2019
Large turnover. If you aren't friends with the managers then those tend to get let go of quicker. Definitely a clique within management and they have a hard time taking suggestions from staff. Would not recommend this employer.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Cliques
Productive and Fast-paced Work Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 January 2019
A typical day included answering phone/email inquiries and issues from MGAs, Advisors and clients.
Problem solving, technical trouble shooting, providing accurate and helpful information was a daily task of this role.
The workplace culture was one of the best parts of the job. As an employee you were kept in the loop on all aspects. From company wide developments, to internal team meetings and community events.
The hardest part of the job was the truly the complexity of the role. There is a lot of information and details that were hard to grasp/relay to MGAs, advisors and clients. For me, this was difficult without a background in Life Insurance.
Besides workplace culture, the most enjoyable part of the role was the people i worked with. Truthfully, I have never felt more apart of a team in my life. We all supported, encouraged and guided each other through the role and with life outside of this role.
6 May 2019

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Our Customer Service centres are indeed very busy places, and the work our CSRs do to help our customers is crucial.

Our HR Recruitment team was happy to read your comments - they are exactly the kinds of things we tell people who are considering roles with us. As you pointed out, the work is both challenging and fulfilling, but there are also opportunities to participate in a great workplace culture.

Thanks for being a part of our team!

culture
Manager, New Business, Underwriting Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 September 2018
small company with a wonderful family environment
working towards automation of each distribution channel
rewards and recognizes employees
good work life balance
6 May 2019

Thanks for taking the time to give us a review. We pride ourselves on being that medium sized company with a close-knit culture and great work life balance, and we're glad you could be a part of it.

Excellent company with a can-do attitude.
Group Benefits Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 September 2018
This company enjoys a good reputation in its market niche. It is large enough to compete and get things done, and small enough to care about what they do.
Pros
Worl-Life Balance
Cons
Focus on sales rather than relationships.
Great entry level positions
Health and Dental Claims Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 September 2018
- Provides great office experience to students and recent graduates.
- Great culture and peers.
- High volume seasons have a lot of hour potential, however low volume seasons decrease hours for some non-permanent positions.
Pros
Great management.
Cons
Decrease in hours during less busy seasons.
6 May 2019

Thanks for taking the time to give us a 5-star review. We really appreciate the feedback.

We think it is a pretty great place to work, too, that provides a diversity of opportunities for people at all levels of experience in their careers.

good work place
Intermediate Full Stack Developer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 May 2018
its a good work place for the most part. very genuine people. might get too stuck up in bureaucracy. parking is a problem if you own a car. can get slightly monotonous and boring at times.
4 June 2018

Thanks for the review. We appreciate your comments. We hear you on the parking. It is a frustration for all of us. That's part of the reason we are currently installing barriers on our parking lot -- to keep unauthorized cars out of spots that are needed for our staff.

Great place to work!
Underwriting Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 March 2017
The flex time is a great bonus. Management is very understanding. Able to move within the company. Likely to hire you permanently. Decent benefits. Friendly staff.
4 June 2018

Thanks for taking the time to give us a review! We appreciate your four stars.

Having engaged and satisfied employees is important to us, and are the key to our continued success! Flex time, and our remote working arrangements, are all part of our ongoing efforts.

Very good area to work
IT Security Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 February 2017
Really enjoyed it, good place for new folks to the corporation world. Learned A lot from my job everyone that I worked with was nice and willing to teach me.
4 June 2018

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your time working at Equitable Life. We always like to hear from former staff, and we are so happy to hear you learned a lot while here, and that our staff were nice. We pride ourselves on being the kind of workplace where niceness is appreciated, and we encourage staff mentoring to help in the transfer of skills. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Smaller insurance carrier
Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 January 2017
It is a very quiet workplace.
The organization is growing rapidly and trying to scale up to meet increased production demands.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not enough parking spots
Well Run Company Provides excellent help but allows for personal growth
Reinsurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 January 2017
Equitable Life Insurance Company was perhaps my favourite place to work. As a student employee I was assisted with anything I needed but also challenged and expected to perform up to industry standards. This support system and also the expectation of good work at a professional level helped me grow as an employee.
Productive & fun workplace
Taxation Specialist & Divisional Controller (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 April 2016
Productive and fun workplace with a table tennis
Great Environment
Can learn a lot
Good Benefits and pension plan
Good management
Great place to work - high collaboration and team work
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 April 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Equitable. Great people, good product line. They have very dedicated employees, good client loyalty.

Good working relationship between field management and corporate management.
Pros
Creative ideas
Cons
Smaller insurer
4 June 2018

Thanks for the review! We are so proud of the dedication of our employees, and we know there's a direct correlation between that and our client loyalty. We like to think that dedication is one of the things that make us stand out, along with the great relationships between field and corporate management.

helpful staff
Client Relationship Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 December 2015
busy, helpful staff that are always willing to help
co workers are great, good communication, good work life balance, good vacation and benefits
4 June 2018

Thanks so much for your review, and we apologize for taking so long to acknowledge it. We've been so busy getting the work done, and taking care of our customers, that it has taken us a while to catch up to the world of online reviews!

Great place to work at!
Actuarial Co-op (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON29 November 2015
I enjoyed my time at Equitable Life. It has a very down to earth culture, and it is easy to get to know the company. It is a very inclusive culture. However, I felt that advancement opportunities were limited, but otherwise it is a very great place to start your career!
Pros
Great people, culture, and many learning opportunities
Cons
May lack manpower for some jobs
4 June 2018

I notice you gave your review way back in 2015 after doing a co-op with us. We've grown since then, so be sure and check back for future opportunities!

Great Place to Work
Health & Dental Claims Adjudicator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON2 February 2015
Great employer, provide customer service daily, discuss employee benefits, problem solve daily, respond to 50+ emails daily and between 65-100+ phone calls regarding benefits inquiries

My Review
Eastern Regional Group Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON4 December 2014
My review of my current work place is amazing - i have been with this company for over 20 years. I love coming to work everyday. I especially love working with all my co-workers as well. My job is quite interesting as we deal with customers on a daily basis.
Pros
Skill Drills are exciting, family orientated environment
Cons
n/a
4 June 2018

I hope you're still at Equitable, and still enjoying your time here!

Great and supportive place to work
Regional Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 September 2014
This is a great company to work for. Like any company they have their positives and negatvies, however, I would say that they are probably one of the best companies I've worked for. I work in a supportive environment with great staff and a wonderful manager.
4 June 2018

I hope you're still working at Equitable, and that you still love it here. I agree with your assessment - it is one of the best places I've ever worked, too.

Software QA
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 July 2014
Equitable Life provides Group and individual Insurance in Canada and US. This project involves the
development of adding new functions in their existing BMS Legacy system. The New function is the
Addition of Flex process so that people who have insurance with the company has more flexibility to
choose benefits individually rather then there employer select the benefits for them.
• Responsible for deliverables, developing the Test Plans, Test Scenarios, and detailed Test Cases, based on the Use Case Documents, Business Requirements and Functional Specifications.
• Reviewed the architecture of the application and understood the requirements of the project
• Created Test scenarios based on Functional requirements and provided them to the Business Analyst for Sign-off.
• Created Test cases in Quality Center test plan tab and mapped to requirements
• Mapped the Test cases to the requirements using Requirement coverage tab in Quality Center
• Performed Sanity testing by executing Sanity test cases on newly received application builds in QA environment
• Provided build acceptance confirmation to the project members of successful Sanity testing
• Performed Cross Browser testing on different browser to check the compatibility of the application with the browsers
• Performed Regression testing on the new build after defect fixes and code enhancements
• Created defect reports and provided to the management
• Handling coordination of offshore, onsite team activities, regular interaction with Client, providing them project status, daily and weekly reports, discussions
  more... on issues and dependencies.
• Provided daily execution and defect reports to QA lead using customized reports from Quality center.
• Environment: Agile methodology, BMS, HP-QTP & QC, VB Script, HTML, XML, DHTML, Oracle, SQL, MS
4 June 2018

I'm happy to read that you had a busy and enjoyable time working for us. We are currently hiring in IT, so please don't hesitate to recommend us to all your friends in the field!

Excellent Employer
Group Administration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON9 July 2014
During my 5 years at this place of employement I truly felt a sense of teamwork in such a large company. A typical day at work consisted of assisting clients in a number of ways. Applying the knowledge obtained to answer questions and enter data appropriately into the computer. We relied on working together as a team to maintain a healthy working relationship. As a team we worked together to create the ultimate client experience from helping one another with a problem to engaging in team building exercises. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team building company events. For example, company bbqs to company wide adopt-a family programs. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience. One in which although was stressful at times, taught me a lot and left me with a sense of accomplishment at the end of everyday.
Pros
Company Benefits, Company team building, flexible hours
4 June 2018

I'm so happy you enjoyed working here! We work really hard on our team building and are really proud of the fundraising work we do. Thanks for being a part of it.

Great Work Environment, Very knowledge business people
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 December 2013
Great work culture. Very friendly co -workers and an awesome boss. Most of them have been with this company for years which made them highly professional in their work style.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Equitable Life of Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

Equitable Life of Canada Reviews by Location