Equitable Life of Canada

Equitable Life of Canada Employee Reviews

Canada30 reviews
Productive and peaceful work environment
Day at work was quite normal. Was given enough support by colleagues and managers to cop up with work. Learned a lot of new things while working in the company
Group Administration Specialist
Excellent team of people. But nil training, basically a call centre, not a lot of support when thrown on the phones. One of the 2 managers does not listen to their employees and not approachable. Need to be more efficient, have dedicated training and support. Not for everyone.
There is something special about this place
I have not been able to pinpoint it, but the culture here is very different. I enjoy coming into work every single day and I have since I started back in 2017. I definitely have made the commitment to be apart of Equitable Life and all that it grows to be over the next few years!
Thank you for allowing there to be a balance between my personal and work life as well!
Conservative and slow paced
There are projects that come along, but overall it is a pretty conservative and slow-paced environment on the technology side. Hopefully they have continued investment into the technology side.
Decisions made by management are not set in stone, and can change fairly unexpectedly.

Staff across the company is more than willing to collaborate and accomplish goals / projects.

The PM team can be hit or miss.
Not changing fast enough
Most folks either leave or stay because of Equitable’s job culture. If you don’t make nice with the in crowd, you are out. Salary is ok for the KW area. Doesn’t compare to other GTA wages.
Pros
Freedom through your day
Cons
Command and control management structure
Good place to work with the table tennis table in free time
Good place to work with the table tennis table in free time. It was good team environment i was working there. I came to know the that manager is not any more there.
6 May 2019
Our table tennis players take their game very seriously, and the tournaments provide some thrilling competition!

Thanks for being a part of action.
Not a longterm employer
Large turnover. If you aren't friends with the managers then those tend to get let go of quicker. Definitely a clique within management and they have a hard time taking suggestions from staff. Would not recommend this employer.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Cliques
Productive and Fast-paced Work Environment
A typical day included answering phone/email inquiries and issues from MGAs, Advisors and clients.
Problem solving, technical trouble shooting, providing accurate and helpful information was a daily task of this role.

The workplace culture was one of the best parts of the job. As an employee you were kept in the loop on all aspects. From company wide developments, to internal team meetings and community events.

The hardest part of the job was the truly the complexity of the role. There is a lot of information and details that were hard to grasp/relay to MGAs, advisors and clients. For me, this was difficult without a background in Life Insurance.

Besides workplace culture, the most enjoyable part of the role was the people i worked with. Truthfully, I have never felt more apart of a team in my life. We all supported, encouraged and guided each other through the role and with life outside of this role.
6 May 2019
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Our Customer Service centres are indeed very busy places, and the work our CSRs do to help our customers is crucial.

Our HR Recruitment team was happy to read your comments - they are exactly the kinds of things we tell people who are considering roles with us. As you pointed out, the work is both challenging and fulfilling, but there are also opportunities to participate in a great workplace culture.

Thanks for being a part of our team!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Equitable Life of Canada?
culture
small company with a wonderful family environment
working towards automation of each distribution channel

rewards and recognizes employees

good work life balance
6 May 2019
Thanks for taking the time to give us a review. We pride ourselves on being that medium sized company with a close-knit culture and great work life balance, and we're glad you could be a part of it.
Excellent company with a can-do attitude.
This company enjoys a good reputation in its market niche. It is large enough to compete and get things done, and small enough to care about what they do.
Pros
Worl-Life Balance
Cons
Focus on sales rather than relationships.
Great entry level positions
- Provides great office experience to students and recent graduates.
- Great culture and peers.

- High volume seasons have a lot of hour potential, however low volume seasons decrease hours for some non-permanent positions.
Pros
Great management.
Cons
Decrease in hours during less busy seasons.
6 May 2019
Thanks for taking the time to give us a 5-star review. We really appreciate the feedback.

We think it is a pretty great place to work, too, that provides a diversity of opportunities for people at all levels of experience in their careers.
good work place
its a good work place for the most part. very genuine people. might get too stuck up in bureaucracy. parking is a problem if you own a car. can get slightly monotonous and boring at times.
4 June 2018
Thanks for the review. We appreciate your comments. We hear you on the parking. It is a frustration for all of us. That's part of the reason we are currently installing barriers on our parking lot -- to keep unauthorized cars out of spots that are needed for our staff.
Great place to work!
The flex time is a great bonus. Management is very understanding. Able to move within the company. Likely to hire you permanently. Decent benefits. Friendly staff.
4 June 2018
Thanks for taking the time to give us a review! We appreciate your four stars.

Having engaged and satisfied employees is important to us, and are the key to our continued success! Flex time, and our remote working arrangements, are all part of our ongoing efforts.
Very good area to work
Really enjoyed it, good place for new folks to the corporation world. Learned A lot from my job everyone that I worked with was nice and willing to teach me.
4 June 2018
Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your time working at Equitable Life. We always like to hear from former staff, and we are so happy to hear you learned a lot while here, and that our staff were nice. We pride ourselves on being the kind of workplace where niceness is appreciated, and we encourage staff mentoring to help in the transfer of skills. Good luck in your future endeavors.
Smaller insurance carrier
It is a very quiet workplace.
The organization is growing rapidly and trying to scale up to meet increased production demands.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not enough parking spots
Well Run Company Provides excellent help but allows for personal growth
Equitable Life Insurance Company was perhaps my favourite place to work. As a student employee I was assisted with anything I needed but also challenged and expected to perform up to industry standards. This support system and also the expectation of good work at a professional level helped me grow as an employee.
Productive & fun workplace
Productive and fun workplace with a table tennis
Great Environment

Can learn a lot

Good Benefits and pension plan

Good management
Great place to work - high collaboration and team work
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Equitable. Great people, good product line. They have very dedicated employees, good client loyalty.

Good working relationship between field management and corporate management.
Pros
Creative ideas
Cons
Smaller insurer
4 June 2018
Thanks for the review! We are so proud of the dedication of our employees, and we know there's a direct correlation between that and our client loyalty. We like to think that dedication is one of the things that make us stand out, along with the great relationships between field and corporate management.
helpful staff
busy, helpful staff that are always willing to help
co workers are great, good communication, good work life balance, good vacation and benefits
4 June 2018
Thanks so much for your review, and we apologize for taking so long to acknowledge it. We've been so busy getting the work done, and taking care of our customers, that it has taken us a while to catch up to the world of online reviews!
Great place to work at!
I enjoyed my time at Equitable Life. It has a very down to earth culture, and it is easy to get to know the company. It is a very inclusive culture. However, I felt that advancement opportunities were limited, but otherwise it is a very great place to start your career!
Pros
Great people, culture, and many learning opportunities
Cons
May lack manpower for some jobs
4 June 2018

I notice you gave your review way back in 2015 after doing a co-op with us. We've grown since then, so be sure and check back for future opportunities!
Great Place to Work
Great employer, provide customer service daily, discuss employee benefits, problem solve daily, respond to 50+ emails daily and between 65-100+ phone calls regarding benefits inquiries
4 June 2018
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Equitable Life of Canada. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2