Equinox Employee Reviews

Very difficult company to work for with too many inconsistent standards/procedures
E I&C Engineering Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta29 October 2018
As Discipline Department Manager reporting to the Engineering Director, inherited a very difficult, confusing environment. Position turnover was constant, one every six months. Far too much lack of consistent company structure changing continuously without collective rationale. This confusion was left to the department managers to unhinge, without support from the upper management and the shareholders who often are the perpetrators of the confusion themselves. I brought stability to the role, surviving as the longest serving department manager.
Pros
Small engineering company, cordial work environment
Cons
No organizational structure, inconsistent roles/responsibilities
high end members
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Yorkville, ON3 December 2018
Managers are not prepared or organized.
There are multiple job expectations from the management that was not discussed or mentioned at the job interview or contract.
Pros
education is provided by the company
Cons
long hours, under pay, racist management
Envirronnement stable et positif
Agente au service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 July 2018
Environnement respectable et chaleureux. Travail d équipe.
Great working environment, but very little pay
Maintenance Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2018
Clean, clean and clean! I learned how to deal with members on a day to day basis. This is a great motivational place to work. The hardest part of the job in cleaning the cardio machines, also preparing to get a facility review. The most enjoyable part of the job is folding the towels in the laundry area filled with laughs and music entertainment.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Longs hours, little pay
Amazing gym, questionable company beliefs and changing managment
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 December 2016
Beautiful new facility. Job title includes scanning in members, answering emails and phones, scheduling spa appointments, dealing with member concerns or directing them to higher power. Changing management due to new facility makes it difficult to communicate concerns and needs. Questionable break policy, low wage. sometimes high stress job. tons of multi tasking. Short shifts but hard to get shift times you want, and hard if not impossible to be employed full time.
Pros
short shifts, free membership, discount on shop, spa and Body Energy club
Cons
low wage, changing managment is difficult to communicate with, not enough employees on at same time
Mediocre job at best
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2016
Typical day includes training clients and helping them reach their fitness goals. This includes planning programs for individual needs, and fitness assessments for each of your clients. "Floor shifts" are also included in the schedule which are times when you walk around the gym to clean up after other people and make small chit-chat with members to try and encourage them to participate in a fitness assessment, with the ultimate goal of selling personal training to them.

Pros:
Free membership at a "luxury" gym
Some co-workers are great
Solid foundation of science-based exercise

Cons:
No work life balance
Awful compensation
Members and other co-workers can be rude
Great Atmosphere, Stay active.
Membership/Marketing Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto Yorkville2 July 2013
Equinox was a great place to stay active and social.
I just didn't believe in some of there managing skills. Being an American company they had outrageous goals and hours.

My co-workers were amazing , energetic and team oriented.
The hardest part of my job was honestly the hours, some weeks working up to 60 + hours with no compensation added.

The thing I enjoyed most about my job was the interactions and relationships built within the fitness facility.
Pros
Working in a field that fitness is supported.
Cons
Long days and hours
not a fun environment to work
call center (Former Employee) –  cote de liese24 June 2013
employees were controlled like slaves,
always lied about benefits
never gave our rights in commissions
lied employees by telling we'd get 150$ in we recruted more employees. never got the $$$ promised
worked over 40 hours always seems to get less then what we were suppose to get as paychecks
Pros
coworkers were amazing
Cons
no benefits, employees work like slaves, no respect towards employees
Fido Sales Representative
sales representative (Former Employee) –  Cote-De-Liesse QC8 July 2014
I start off by turning on the computer at my desk. I prepare my script and get ready to answer calls. Everyday, the goal was to reach at least 15 sales a day.

I learned how to sympathize with customers and help them with their issues. I also learned how to come up with instant rebuttals to ensure that the customer does not get any negative feelings towards the products.
Not a nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 August 2017
Don't work

You will be treated as dogs and animals

No management no clarity
Even the membership doesn't make up for that atitude.last minute calls for shifts or long shifts .
Pros
Cons
A lot

Want to know more about Equinox?

Ask a question
Better opportunities of advancement
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 June 2017
They are running various type of job roles which allowing each of us to switch on the right department to work with full of satisfaction.

Each of the month proving individual best performer a gift card to use for shopping, watching movie etc.
Terrible place to work!
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 March 2017
Employees are given a small closet of a room downstairs to eat or do work when they are on break or not on the gym floor. The amount of rats in this room is disgusting. Management changes on a monthly basis and they keep becoming less qualified with little to no experience. For having more than two managers in the gym at a time it is impossible to get in touch with them when members request to speak to management regarding a complaint or their memberships etc. The GM is very unpleasant, takes her months to introduce herself to her new employees. So much mold in the showers it was constantly complained about by members and nothing was done about it. For such a wealthy company employees are paid pennies.
Pros
gym is free for employees (only during certain hours)
Cons
minimum wage, management always changing and are poorly experienced/ trained, the GM is not a people person doesn't get to know her staff, no team support, high expectations from bad management
it's a job
Machine Operator/Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 September 2016
i start by punching in , review production log, talk with person running machine whats on {mold} what is coming off. i then proceed to unload and reload mold scraping flanges then closing mold and send into oven.
Pros
free bbq once per year
Cons
molds aren't scraped from shift change
i liked the people
Customer service agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 May 2016
i do not have anything bad to say about my time working there. i loved my co-workers,i did enjoy the time spent getting to know the people that i worked with . i liked the management style i appreciated my supervise he was very knowledgeable about all the products and services.
bon environnement
Représentant au niveau de la vente (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 October 2017
acquis de l’expérience et belle environnement de travaille
Pros
acquis de l’expérience
Cons
possibilité d’avancement
fun place to work
Assistant to the Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto.CA8 March 2016
do the walk around ensuring cleanliness proper maintenance and functionality of all excercise equipment,swimming pool,steam room,music and room temperatures.
very fast paced but yet fun place to work.
Pros
free membership
Cons
shortage of staff
nice place
Telemarketer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 October 2014
this job improve my knowledge about customer service.
and make you become more friendly with people around arround and this job gives you a lot of skills and gives you a better futur i mean it teaches how buissnis work and i gain a lot benefits from equinox
very poor management system
Fido -VP agent (Former Employee) –  Qc, Montreal1 December 2014
scheduled hours would be cut due to "list being done" very unprofessional when it came to giving "coaching" overall worst job i ever had. did not try to work with me for scheduling hours.
Pros
i could take a break whenever i wanted.
Cons
not enough hours!
fun workplace
Coat Check (Former Employee) –  Yorkville, ON20 June 2017
I learned a lot of things in this job that i could use in my future job or career. People are amazing and I enjoyed doing my job eventhough its a busy work place
Pros
free use of the gym
Cons
minimum wage
I a lot of work for little appreciation from employers
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2017
To be honest it is a lot more work (at home) than any other job I have ever had and for a lot less money. I do appreciate the continued education.
Pros
education
Cons
long take home work hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Equinox. Our community is ready to answer.