Equinox Engineering Employee Reviews in Calgary, AB

Good overall Company
Senior Piping Design Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary8 December 2018
I worked for Equinox for 4 years.

In that time I worked many challenging projects. There was however a lack of good estimating done for project hours. Not a complaint but an observation. They do job share with both India and Australia. At times this dictates what happens on a project and can impact design quality. I was given the ability to travel their India office which enabled me to learn more about job sharing. This knowledge has been a big factor in my acquiring a new position with one of their competitors. :-)

There are a few too many managers but they all are good people. My teams were motivated and produced good work.

There is a bit too much adherence to "we have always done it like that" approaches. Some really talented new blood would enhance what Equinox does.
Pros
Challenging projects. Good co-workers.
Cons
Lower pay then most companies. No job security.
Great workplace
Senior Mechanical Engineer - Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 September 2018
The leadership is great, and employees support to grow their careers within the company. Company culture is great and everyone who works here is passionate about what they do.
Leadership have no business ethics whatsoever
Project Controls Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 July 2018
Probably the worst company I have ever worked for. The VP has no issue lying to the clients about how Equinox deals with overtime. The company puts most of their ownership in the highest positions and unfortunately some of them have never worked anywhere else and they don't necessarily know how to properly estimate and run a project. There were a lot of good people that worked there when I was there so that is a positive thing.
Pros
There were some good social events
Cons
They have no idea what project controls is
My time there
Senior Piping Designer / Drafter / Checker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 May 2018
Short contract, good people.
Learned a lot.
Would have been nice to stay and continue to learn.
Manager I worked with was a good and fair man.
Would go back if the opportunity was there
Engineering (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 May 2018
Many opportunities for career growth, as well as the chance to work on challenging projects, both domestically and internationally. A unique opportunity to work with global work share offices in Australia and India. Excellent systems and procedures. An amazing team of people who are fun to work with and highly passionate in the work they do.
Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 May 2018
I learnt several new things in Equinox. I had full freedom in doing my work independantly. The supervisors and colleagues were quite open in sharing their knowledge and experience in various fields. Last but not the least, the weekend socialising events were quite helpful in building the team.
Pros
Helpful supervisors
Cons
Medium sized company
Employees are a Commodity
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 April 2018
Pros:
Good Pay and Benefits when times were good

Cons:
No work-life balance
Expected to always have billable hours otherwise you were let go
Treats staff like a commodity that can be easily replaced
No employee loyality (I saw many people treated very poorly during the crash of 2015/2016)

Don't work here unless you are desperate.
Great co workers
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 August 2017
at first their was growth in my self, after a while I felt squeezed in my role. personal growth ma mentorship is very important, a experienced conflict in my management skills,
Pros
lunch and learns, saddle dome box
Cons
definaite favaourites
Productive workplace
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2017
Company's working environment is very dynamic. It is a highly productive workplace. However, company benefits are minimal and salary reviews are rarely performed.
Horrible project execution teem including Management
Lead Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary24 February 2017
This is no star company. The company is poorly managed and project managers given tasks to cut corners in engineering work,Project Managers are not even Professional Engineers of Apegga and wants to cut corners in engineering.(Dilemma for engineers who are P.Eng.to work as per Apegga Professionlism)

Everyone tries to save their skin by passing the mistakes to others.

Any one leaving good companies and joining this mismanaged company will not survive more.

There are many people not even qulaified to call them engineers.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Many cons
Fun and learning environment
Lead Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 November 2016
Ethicaly and technicaly was very good environmetn. The management and leadership were excellent. Love to work in such a good environment. team gathering and ease of access to technical document is the advenage.
Pros
fun, ease of access to restaurant
Cons
job not secure
Respectful and Professional
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 November 2016
I found Equinox Engineering to be professional and respectful in every way. I was totally impressed with all aspects of the company's values. Not only do they have good strong values but they stand behind them.
Not many companies like this.
Pros
Supportive in all aspects of the hiring and training process
No advance in this company
Lead piping designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary8 November 2016
This company will use you and not pay you very well. They talk about moving you to bigger jobs but they keep you always in the same position, never really willing or wanting to help you advance your career.
Pros
Free coffee, life work balance
Cons
Poor managers, no help from senior personnel, not willing to look at promoting within company
Worst company to work
Instrumentation Technologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2016
Equinox is the worst company I ever worked for during the last 13 years. Many of my relatives as well as friends already told me the same about this company but I didn't agree until I had my worst personal worst experience with this company.
design out of sequence, Poor management.
Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 June 2016
This is not a place for engineers, all they need is your stamp, you as a engineer will be the last one to receive information or sometimes you see the scope just few days before IFC. Some PEs work closely with designers, but keep engineers out of the loop. So engineers only get timely information when they luckily work with a real professional designer. The department head simply has no soft skills for the position, treated the department members with no respect, not sharing project information with the team, no overview of workload and manpower. The former department manager was much better. The management know all of these but they are hesitant to take actions. This company is cheap, but both the company and the stamping engineers are taking huge risk, I believe the same for the client. Think twice before you apply.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Design things out of sequence, poor management.
Great people and atmosphere in Core group
Instrumentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2016
Equinox is divided into 2 complete separate entities, the Major projects and the core group. I was part of core and we dealt with smaller projects. All my experience and ratings are based on this small group and the dynamics of how it works. Its a fast pace environment with a lot of friendly coworkers and close relationship with your and other teams and supervisors. A good place to learn and gain experience while having a fun and productive work environment.
Average place to work
Civil/Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 March 2016
Small to medium size company average place to work, not so good benefits. and limited chances to advancement. Not so great team work get limited help from seniors,
Good people - good environment
Lead Process Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2016
Work satisfaction will depend on the team you are on and the people on your team. I do not need to write more. I believe I have made myself clear.
Unprofessional engineers
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  calgary12 May 2015
Mechanical dept is in horrible hands,Unprofessional engineers only know how to copy from previous project,
Quote the man-hours with less man-hours and skip all steps of Engineering,No Dept. Procuedures and nobody is willing to make one for the betterment of the company.

Feels clients will come back somehow and the problems can be solved automatically at site
Pros
No pros
Cons
Earlier project Copy Masters, Unprofessional Managers and Engineers, no procedures
Good people, good management, poor job security
Senior Project Engineer- Project Management (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 April 2015
If you are looking for a place to work and produce for a couple of years it is OK.

If you are looking for stability, forget it, this company is quite unstable.
Pros
Good teamwork
Cons
No stability of job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Equinox Engineering. Our community is ready to answer.