EPCOR

EPCOR Employee Reviews

Nice place to work. Good pay.

Great benefits, good people to work with. However the union structure protects lazy coworkers in many departments. Management couldn't manage their way out of a cardboard box constantly changing crew structures in an attempt to streamline what, I do not know. The best equipment and tools and great home work life balance. I'd go back and work there if I could.

Pros

Equipment, fair pay, union, worklife balance.

Cons

Poor performance by many, union, seniority system, they do not fight to keep good people.

Productive and fun workplace

Excellent Company to work for. Interesting Projects. Professional Environment Good Management Received support from coworkers Good Salary Nice offices

Pros

Good Management

Cons

It was an extremely stressful work environment that I am grateful to be out of.

Company has the opportunity to be a great employer, however they do not follow what they claim they are about. The company lies to their customers, and continually looks for more ways to reduce the ability to provide good customer care.

Pros

Good pay depending on position

Cons

No loyalty to employees

Weak Bully environment in Drainage PMO

Management lacks any form of leadership, insecure, and hypocritical. Constantly changing work guidelines along with increased criticism and belittling. Always withholding required information to do ones job. There has been increased turnover within the PMO for a reason and this is a direct result of poor management. You will never succeed when management doesn't want you to.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Long hours, hypercritical, fault-finding, belittling, underwork, setting up for failure, lack of knowledge sharing

Brutally awful company

I would suggest anyone thinking of working at Epcor run as fast as you can in another direction. This is a sleazy company. Worst place I ever worked.

Pros

No night shift

Cons

Terrible management

Work, work some more, repeat

Averaged about 9-10 hours a day, finished all my deliverables and was rewarded with more work and less time to do it. Issues were communicated, contract was ended. Saw a revolving door of resources leaving with contractors and employees moving on. Not a great balance. Great place if work is your life.

Fun place to work with great co workers and a awesome job/life balance.

Working at epcor was a good experience for me. I would recommend people apply working here because the job life balance is perfect. They have you work four ten hour days, they also have the option for overtime.

great management but less full time opportunity

i'm only working part-time (20-29hours/week) and they currently don't have many opportunity for full time. I really love the job and management and my colleagues..i just wish they'd offer more full time opportunity.

Bad

Management is pure evil . The environment that they brought in is so disgusting. Moral has never been lower.Epcor bought is from the city and is running it into the ground

Safety First

Majority of communication downstream in the company revolved around safety. Incidents always led to reactionary measures and increased messaging. Despite safety first messaging, field staff were required to get things done fast, properly. Realistically, something always has to give, and that something should be time.

Jobs at EPCOR

See more jobs

Easy going and welcoming work place

I enjoyed working at Epcor the job was challenging yet enjoyable. I was a fire hydrant painter so I would drive around the city and paint the hydrants. It was cool to get to know the city and work at my own pace but also finish the quota we had set for us each day.

Prductive and fun work place with games like corn hole and lottery

We get tickets from various departments for hardware and software issues We troubleshoot and configure the required applications , hardware SCCM update issues are another challenge Good knowledge of SQL and hand on experience is all it need to resolve. Unfortunately my contract was ended.

Poorly managed

Certain managers were over their head in their given roles. These people love the title "Mgr." but don't fully understand the role & duties. During my time that was the case even with certain foreman from the St.albert trail location during 2000-2004. Foreman didn't wAnt to be accountable & their Mgr. did not hold them to it either. Extremely Frustrating in my role at the time.

I worked on a project for 6 months and I was so satisfied

In fact, I worked on a project for 6 months, the project titled as "Assessment of the maximum hosting capacity of photovoltaic (PV), Electric vehicle (EV), and Battery Energy Storage (BESS) in 35 small distribution networks in Edmonton" and for me it was really a great time to work with those people.

Mgrs & foreman -just not right fit!

I was there 2000 & the foreman were useless! I was in sales would send emails & they wouldn't reply. Even some mgrs. were over there head in their job position-didn't deserve the title was just given it. Apparently some foreman & mgrs today In 2019 are still useless! The union culture for some is a poison & some love that type of culture. Really good benefits, once your in your in even if not a good worker.

Worked with a good bunch of guys

Pretty hard to get on with EPCOR Utilities. Depending on where you are placed, you could be pigeonholed with no opportunity to advance. Nepotism is evident everywhere. People with multiple DO NOT REHIRE recommendations are hired over other competent employees.

Challenging and rewarding

Opportunity to utilize customer service skills and upgrade . Support for learning and growing with a large company. Chance to work in different areas of operation

Pros

training

Cons

Sitting for long periods of time

Public servant

Very strong safety first culture. Must be good at documentation, must follow workplace hierarchy. Great pay, great benefits, good food at Christmas party, pay for your cab ride home.

Should have been a nice place

In the beginning all was great. However, supervisor and manager kept changing expectations and goals. They seemed supportive but in the end were really not. You might be luckier in a different department.

Good for Certain Personalities

If you have a thick skin, like being robotic, and don't care about people, the call centre could just be for you. It is a lovely place to work, but constant surveillance, and pushing to be faster and faster at handling calls with no errors can take a toll on one. After six months, I started dreading coming to work, so I left for something in the public sector, where profits for an essential service do not conflict with my Marxist leanings. It was not for me, to be sure, but some of my fellow new-hires have done really well in this callous environment. Maybe it speaks to their lack of humanity. I don't know.

Watch your back ...

Terrible managers ... highly incompetent and will not hesitate to throw you under the bus for failures that are their responsibility. Stressful work environment. Lack of transparency. People get fired all the time. I would not work here again -- despite there being good people/co-workers and good work-life balance opportunities. Not worth the mental stress of dealing with bad managers, a complicit HR department and a culture that revolves around backstabbing others to get ahead. Just sad that good people who work hard get treated so badly ... avoid!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EPCOR. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement