Environment and Climate Change Canada Employee Reviews

Secure but dead
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 February 2019
There is little if no chance to advance in the government unless you are management and in Ottawa. IF you can obtain permanent (indeterminate) status, then you have good benefits and a stable, but slightly lower average salary. If you are permanent and they eliminate your position, they have to give you three comparable alternate job offers. Pretty secure. However, the ability to obtain indeterminate status is hard, they will string you along with contracts or term employment. Similar to university tenureship. For the most part, and enthusiasm for innovation and change will be stomped out of the employees. Management is too irrational.
Pros
(if permanent) Lots of benefits. Quite Stable. Great for families.
Cons
No advancement, hard to get permanent, rejects innovation
Awesome experience
Protected Areas Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK16 January 2019
I worked for ECCC a coop work term through the University of Saskatchewan. I took more from this internship than I did from many of my University courses, and feel as if it has really prepared me for graduation.
Steady as she goes
Software Developer (Co-op) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2018
Typical government job; a middling salary in exchange for great government benefits.

In my department, there were no new software initiatives to be apart of, and so the majority of work was maintenance of existing software projects. The subject matter was interesting enough to create periods of interesting and challenging work, however this was punctuated by periods of extreme boredom. With a culture that has little motivation to innovate or improve internal processes, there was little room for initiative in a junior role to assuage the boredom or to help in skill development.
Pros
Flex hours, pension, health, dental
Cons
Little room for initiative, often not enough to do.
Excellent workplace
Economic Research and Analysis Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC10 May 2018
I had a good experience working at ECCC. Everyone was very friendly and I got experience working on a wide range of projects. Great place to work, even better people!
Pros
Cons
Bureaucracy
A good place to work
Scientific Support Technologist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON2 May 2017
Working at Environment and Climate Change Canada was definitely a good place to start my career. I got lots of great experience and had the opportunity to work with some truly amazing people.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No career advancement
Flexible hours add a great work/life balance
CO-OP Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 February 2017
Each floor has their own launch room with a fridge, espresso machine and microwave.

There is a cafe on the first floor but with lacking food options.
Productive workplace that stimulates growth and learning
Finance Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2016
Great experience working in a federal public service environment (Environment and Climate Change Canada). Management and co-workers were fantastic and attributed to a positive workplace where growth was continuously encouraged.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Job security (federal openings are scarce)