Environment and Climate Change Canada

Environment and Climate Change Canada Employee Reviews

Overall great co-op experience. Met a lot of great people who were willing to help with my personal development. Made a lot of connections. Would recommend.
Great place to work, learned a lot and would return at any time. My co-workers were great and the bosses were demanding yet helpful, all in all a great work experience.
Would work for them again. Had me doing all kinds of cool science stuff and sent me on trips out of province. I dont every want to leave and look forward to seeing them again after school
Working here is a relaxed experience and the people are very nice. Can be a laid back in terms of workload, but can also pick up very fast. Everyone working here is passionate.
After arriving at the workplace I would log into the computer, read business emails and begin reviewing my tasks for the day. Then i would execute all tasks assigned to me. The environment is fast paced and you have to be able to adapt to the demands that were required of you. This I think helped with being patient. Managers that I worked under were courteous and helpful.Because of the trust I was given I liked the fact that I was given the opportunity to take the ball and run with it. In other words I was left to do the work with little to no supervision. The hardest part of the job was the travel aspect. There is virtually no parking accommodation at the job site. I enjoyed the relaxing environment at the job site
Pros
Work environment
Cons
No parking
Great people, a lot to learn and a lot of chances to apply your skills and learn new. Balanced life, not too stressful, but requires a lot of discipline and independent work.
Very disciplined and organized workplace Great management with lots of opportunities to learn new skills Accommodating and helpful staff members Respectful work environment
Rewarding projects to work on. Fulfilling work. A shame they couldn't make me permanent. I had the opportunity to work on some incredible projects in my field of study.
En tant que fonctionnaire, nous sommes souvent associés à des bureaucrates. Cependant, travailler pour ECCC dans la section opérationnelle du Service Météorologique du Canada représente un défis de taille qui plaira aux employés motivés et à la recherche de défis. L'objectif est de maintenir des réseaux (radars, station, etc) à travers le vaste territoire du Canada.
Great place to work with excellent people and management. Take your time when working on projects as the expectation isn't to get lots done; quality over quantity.
There is little if no chance to advance in the government unless you are management and in Ottawa. IF you can obtain permanent (indeterminate) status, then you have good benefits and a stable, but slightly lower average salary. If you are permanent and they eliminate your position, they have to give you three comparable alternate job offers. Pretty secure. However, the ability to obtain indeterminate status is hard, they will string you along with contracts or term employment. Similar to university tenureship. For the most part, and enthusiasm for innovation and change will be stomped out of the employees. Management is too irrational.
Pros
(if permanent) Lots of benefits. Quite Stable. Great for families.
Cons
No advancement, hard to get permanent, rejects innovation
I worked for ECCC a coop work term through the University of Saskatchewan. I took more from this internship than I did from many of my University courses, and feel as if it has really prepared me for graduation.
starting early morning, at 7 pm, flexible lunch time. Extremely nice management. A lot of new things to learn about meteorology in Canada. Beautifully organized archives. A lot of 150 yrs old document, touching of the past.
Typical government job; a middling salary in exchange for great government benefits. In my department, there were no new software initiatives to be apart of, and so the majority of work was maintenance of existing software projects. The subject matter was interesting enough to create periods of interesting and challenging work, however this was punctuated by periods of extreme boredom. With a culture that has little motivation to innovate or improve internal processes, there was little room for initiative in a junior role to assuage the boredom or to help in skill development.
Pros
Flex hours, pension, health, dental
Cons
Little room for initiative, often not enough to do.
I had a good experience working at ECCC. Everyone was very friendly and I got experience working on a wide range of projects. Great place to work, even better people!
Pros
Cons
Bureaucracy
Working at Environment and Climate Change Canada was definitely a good place to start my career. I got lots of great experience and had the opportunity to work with some truly amazing people.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No career advancement
Each floor has their own launch room with a fridge, espresso machine and microwave. There is a cafe on the first floor but with lacking food options.
Great experience working in a federal public service environment (Environment and Climate Change Canada). Management and co-workers were fantastic and attributed to a positive workplace where growth was continuously encouraged.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Job security (federal openings are scarce)