Ensign Energy Services Inc.

Ensign Energy Services Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada79 reviews
Away a lot.
Provided security for my family for many years.

They did provide a safe work environment.

Fair pay comparable to other companies. Would still be there if not for COVID and price of oil.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long shifts
workplace culture is toxic, management is poor, and lack of communication. For a good company, its unfortunate that the team i work in is toxic and unsupported.
Ensign Testing Grande Prairie was one of the worst places I worked at..
They treat their workers very badly and only care about the profit you can make them.

I do not recommend it as a place to work.
With drops in oil, contractors expect more than ever, while paying less, no set out schedule, always random hours day to day. in the event of maintenance, pay is reduced to minimum wage, which is Frequent. typically 3-4 hours of travel a day, only paid for 2, of which they pay as a "bonus" so as to pay beneath minimum wage.
Manager and supervisor change their mind on a daily basis for upcoming work.
Had a roommate that stayed in the washrooms 2 hours a night.

Co worker drinking and driving the company truck late at night.

Outdated equipment and low budget cie.
Pros
Easy to get hired
Cons
They say going to work for 3 weeks home 8 days later or 4 days later.
Ensign is a good company. They are absolutely the best service rig company that I have ever worked with. I would recommend them to anyone looking for service rig work
Need longer lasting benefits , need to pay more / need to keep better hands instead of hiring new cheap hands . Better office people the hr is terrible
This place is the worst company I have ever worked for. You get treated like garbage. Management is an absolute joke. Garbage pay , garbage company , and garbage rigs. Would not recommend this company to anyone. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. You have been warned lol
My experience with ensign is awesome gave me lots of experience in very positions I was just looking for a change I been in the oil gas industry for 25 years
Started from the ground level and recognized for skills I could transfer from other industries and move up to senior positions in a short space of time. Learned a great deal about equipment, capability and rig operations within a few years, even being new to the industry, as the management team that were in place were great to work with, supportive and very knowledgeable.
Hardest part of the job was leaving after 10 years service due to an industry downturn. I loved every aspect the job, even the long hours as the reward of seeing rigs commissioned and going out into the field was personally gratifying.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Ensign Energy Services Inc.?
Since the acqisition of Trinidad the place has been a Scheer mess.
Trinidad employees are bitter and a pain to work with, always comparing what they had before to what Ensign offers. Ensign salaries are way less and benifits way worse. At least they have a job.

Managment is a mess with obvious conflicts at the top and implementation of new systems are a constant failure causing a lot of greef and good people walking out the door. It used to be a great place to work, with people friendly and collaborative. Now its all competitive in a bad way.

Given Alberta's economy, the only people working there now are Ensign people who have no other options or Trinidaders who were grandafthered with big paycheques that they won't get anywhere else. The guys and gals in Calgary HQ are making loads of monies, but people are being laid off, which shows the selfish culture trickelling down and leaving scraps for front end workers. Its a shayme to see where Ensign has landed.
Great company to work great benefits awesome people to work with and learn tons in the field kind of unreliable but overall great company to work for.
Company was great for new immigrants, Canadians who ever liked to work could have prosperity. The only problem is it is energy service company, it means business is going up and down.
It is a well-managed company and many employees work here for many years. People are friendly and treats each other with respect.
The time is flexible, so employees could enjoy a balance life between work and family.
Pros
Getting to go home full day paid on a 1/2 day work before the long week-end.
You're going to be working 12 hour shifts for 14 days with one 24 hour turnover from days to nights.
If you're considering this as employment, the younger you start the better.

Know the difference between wants and needs before you get carried away and end up a slave to paying for your wants.
Pros
Little time to spend the money you're making while away.
Cons
Few manage to "live with-in their means" and become slaves.
I've spent more than enough time with this company to be justified in saying that the are dishonest and ill managed, and very politically aligned to avoid real change. My personal biggest mistake is not making the choices to correct issues or get the heck out sooner, but I have found the Australia side more realistic in change.
Pros
not many
Cons
to many to list.
Ensign was always a interesting and fun place to work. There was always something new to learn and do . A 12 hour shift felt like 8.Every new well was drilled and finished with perfection.
Good people. Good workers. Productive and safe working staff. Knowledgable staff. Safety orientated. Highly skilled workers. Great pay and benefits. Fun place to work.
what can I say I was riggin.. took me on green and raw and in a short time I got set up motors then derrick hand ... started on an old jackknife triple and finished on a state of the art ADR super single. had some very knowledgeable leaders and manager and truly felt like these guys cared for my well being.... to a point... I left the company cause my life took a different direction and it didn't fit.. as it stands right now I would go back to work for them in a heart beat

don't get me wrong working rigs isn't for the thin skinned type... its hard work in the freezing cold or blasting heat.. but that paycheck is worth it..
Pros
money and physical fittness
Cons
away from home an cold in the north
There is a chance of learning on every assignment
People is open and friendly

Conservative environment

Salary is competitive

People is very professional

Improvement is cultural
Pros
friendly
Cons
no career advance
Would not recommend this working environment. Unless you enjoy working with outdated equipment, disorganized management personnel who have failed to keep up with the changing oil and gas industry. And if you don't mind getting shorted on pay this is an excellent place to be.