English Montreal School Board

Working at English Montreal School Board: Employee Reviews

Canada55 reviews

teacherstudentschoolstaffhourenjoyworkingtime

The EMSB is a great place to work. Westmount Park Elementary specifically is a well run establishment with a great culture to work in. The school understand the needs of both staff and students

Enjoyed my time

Was fortunate to receive a full time contract when I was first hired. Principle I worked for was caring and understood when life events happened. I would still be working for EMSB but I had to relocate for my husband's profession.

Insights into English Montreal School Board

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Productive and fun place to work, especially teaching French in the Academic program in an Adult Education Center.

Teaching French in the academic program of an Adult CenterTeaching 4 hours in a row with a fifteen-minute breakPresence of 4 hours per day to do personal work. For example, preparation of classes and corrections.The administration was generally excellent over the years but sometimes not so goodI learned class management skills because the clientele in the Academic program was not an easy oneTeaching this diversified clientele was interesting as it included dropouts, criminals on bail or on parole, special needs studentsBut as the years went by the clientele got easierHowever, I spent the last four years teaching ESL (Basic Core program to newcomers ) and did not find this job as satisfying, The different clientele was not the issue. It was a matter of personal taste and the fact that I was more comfortable teaching French. However, I can teach both FSL and ESL adequately. It depended on the groups. Some groups of ESL were also fun and enjoyable

Pros

Free meals on ped days and special holidays Good training workshops

Cons

Reasonable hours

Toxic work environment and poor organizational structure

As a support resource for children, I recieved little to no training or guidance on my job assignments. District's provided framework did not support their expectations. This lack of direction supported a toxic environment inducing stress performance, counter productiveness, and demoralization.

Pros

Students, Teachers, Assistants, Parents, Staff; doing their best with the tools available at their disposal

Cons

Left to your own devices. Lack of transparency from hiring process and on

Excellent experience.

Very nice, professional and friendly environment. Programs are well established which make teaching so smooth and easy. Supportive and multi-cultural spirits. Excellent experience for teacher and students

Pros

Very good salary

Cons

Don’t remember any

Awful

Nothing to say. It’s stressful and many times very judgmental. One hears many, many complaints from teachers and they constantly want to strike. They do not treat subs well. Good luck to those applying.

Pros

Good if you don’t want to work daily or want to work once a week.

Cons

Stress

Bon salaire et très bonne condition de travail

Ils offrent beaucoup de formation les possibilités d’avancement sont nombreuses.le respect et l’écoute sont toujours une priorité.

Pros

L’été de congé

Cons

Pas beaucoup d’heures

Do not recommend

I can't speak to all of the schools in the emsb but from talking with coworkers and my own experiences, I think it is a common issue. Extremely disorganized workplace. Demanded results without actually giving me any guidance or direction, or the time and resources to do my job. Wanted me to do the jobs of two people (sis facilitator and tutor) but without the hours. No benefits are offered for these positions. Management were unhelpful and very stressful to interact with, did not offer any support and usually didn't know what was going on. Most of the staff were miserable and complained all the time, so a very toxic environment. I loved the students and could have really gotten into my work, but there were so many obstacles it was not worth it.

challenging place to work in

Every school is different , I do not want to generalize the complete school board , but my particular experience at one school was very poor. School needed more resources and should have been better managed.

Not recommended for everyone

Working here was not what I expected. Voluntary classes made attendance horrible. I wouldn't recommend it due to positions being filled through connections; what I mean is, you need to know someone who's in to get in and move up. Furthermore it is a job that is very, do your job and don't bother management type job.

Teacher

We are overworked and overloaded with tasks unrelated to teaching! Too many hours spent on uneducational activities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Substitute work experience

Plans are planned from absent teachers. Follow a plan and execute the lesson plan. I had to travel all over Montreal to sub at different schools in order to keep up with a decent pay. I worked with all different levels of students and met/ worked with a wide range of experienced teachers. It's a must to have strong class management skills to work with a new group of students.

Love the job.I enjoy sharing my experiences with young minds,while teaching them what they need for life

I enjoy growing with students,and learning about their interests. Every student brings such joy to the table,and their care free attitude is refreshing.I enjoy children,from all cultures,and learn a few new words. Some children bring insight to their lives.I want to open their mind and show them how to treat beautiful items and how colours can spark their imagines.Children to me are precoius,and I must be careful how I interact with them

Challenging atmosphere but in a good way. It is a great place to work that has helpful staff and amazing students. I would recommend working for the EMSB any day.

environnement de travail agreable

Solide communauté ou l on a vraiment l impression d être dans une grande famille professionnelle

Work security

The English Montreal School Board is a good place to work if you are looking for job security. There is a lack of leadership in schools across most of this school board.

Great place to work.

I started as a replacement . Took me a while to adapt but i love my work and hours and the flexibility. Only draw back is you start with less hours and there are not enough hours. Your pay After deduction is not worth the stress you go through each and everyday.

Many options, variety of schools

I currently sub for the EMSB but worked full time there before so aforementioned salary refers to that time. Supportive staff, many opportunities for choosing right fit for schools. Only drawback is selection is sometimes based on who you know. I didn't have that connection but taught math so didn't need it.

School Secretary

You need to do everything in the school as a School secretary and also replace the Secretaries in front. You learn how to do payroll for teachers, substitutes and do bank reconciliation. You also have to count on a weekly basis cafeteria money and also large amount of money for big events.

Cons

Staying late to finish your work

Little job security, toxic culture

Until you have amassed more than five years seniority, you really have no job security. My colleagues and I change schools and what we teach with each new session. Administration is always getting shuffled too so it's hard to have any continuity. Sometimes the board ignores qualifications that you have on paper, for the most ridiculous reasons. The health coverage is over priced forwhat you get

Fun work place and a very warm and inviting staff.

I enjoyed working with the staff and students at my school. However, working with the EMSB poses some challenges. Foremost, the hours that one can work is very limited and having to do split shift does not allow for one to work elsewhere. In other words, one could only work 4 hours a day because of the schedule.

Pros

It is very rewarding knowing that you are impacting young lives.

Cons

Not enough hours of work and usually the schedule is ridiculous.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at English Montreal School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement