English Montreal School Board logo
English Montreal School Board

English Montreal School Board Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

The EMSB is a great place to work. Westmount Park Elementary specifically is a well run establishment with a great culture to work in. The school understand the needs of both staff and students

Awful

Nothing to say. It’s stressful and many times very judgmental. One hears many, many complaints from teachers and they constantly want to strike. They do not treat subs well. Good luck to those applying.

Pros

Good if you don’t want to work daily or want to work once a week.

Cons

Stress

Bon salaire et très bonne condition de travail

Ils offrent beaucoup de formation les possibilités d’avancement sont nombreuses.le respect et l’écoute sont toujours une priorité.

Pros

L’été de congé

Cons

Pas beaucoup d’heures

Do not recommend

I can't speak to all of the schools in the emsb but from talking with coworkers and my own experiences, I think it is a common issue. Extremely disorganized workplace. Demanded results without actually giving me any guidance or direction, or the time and resources to do my job. Wanted me to do the jobs of two people (sis facilitator and tutor) but without the hours. No benefits are offered for these positions. Management were unhelpful and very stressful to interact with, did not offer any support and usually didn't know what was going on. Most of the staff were miserable and complained all the time, so a very toxic environment. I loved the students and could have really gotten into my work, but there were so many obstacles it was not worth it.

challenging place to work in

Every school is different , I do not want to generalize the complete school board , but my particular experience at one school was very poor. School needed more resources and should have been better managed.

Not recommended for everyone

Working here was not what I expected. Voluntary classes made attendance horrible. I wouldn't recommend it due to positions being filled through connections; what I mean is, you need to know someone who's in to get in and move up. Furthermore it is a job that is very, do your job and don't bother management type job.

Teacher

We are overworked and overloaded with tasks unrelated to teaching! Too many hours spent on uneducational activities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Substitute work experience

Plans are planned from absent teachers. Follow a plan and execute the lesson plan. I had to travel all over Montreal to sub at different schools in order to keep up with a decent pay. I worked with all different levels of students and met/ worked with a wide range of experienced teachers. It's a must to have strong class management skills to work with a new group of students.

Love the job.I enjoy sharing my experiences with young minds,while teaching them what they need for life

I enjoy growing with students,and learning about their interests. Every student brings such joy to the table,and their care free attitude is refreshing.I enjoy children,from all cultures,and learn a few new words. Some children bring insight to their lives.I want to open their mind and show them how to treat beautiful items and how colours can spark their imagines.Children to me are precoius,and I must be careful how I interact with them

Challenging atmosphere but in a good way. It is a great place to work that has helpful staff and amazing students. I would recommend working for the EMSB any day.

Great place to work.

I started as a replacement . Took me a while to adapt but i love my work and hours and the flexibility. Only draw back is you start with less hours and there are not enough hours. Your pay After deduction is not worth the stress you go through each and everyday.

Many options, variety of schools

I currently sub for the EMSB but worked full time there before so aforementioned salary refers to that time. Supportive staff, many opportunities for choosing right fit for schools. Only drawback is selection is sometimes based on who you know. I didn't have that connection but taught math so didn't need it.

School Secretary

You need to do everything in the school as a School secretary and also replace the Secretaries in front. You learn how to do payroll for teachers, substitutes and do bank reconciliation. You also have to count on a weekly basis cafeteria money and also large amount of money for big events.

Cons

Staying late to finish your work

Fun work place and a very warm and inviting staff.

I enjoyed working with the staff and students at my school. However, working with the EMSB poses some challenges. Foremost, the hours that one can work is very limited and having to do split shift does not allow for one to work elsewhere. In other words, one could only work 4 hours a day because of the schedule.

Pros

It is very rewarding knowing that you are impacting young lives.

Cons

Not enough hours of work and usually the schedule is ridiculous.

No job stability !

It seemed like a nice place to work, but as soon as a announced my pregnancy... everything changed. My boss was very unhappy with that . I asked twice for family /work compromise and it was denied. They abolished my position when i was on maternity leave and now i have no job . So if you want a family, not a good place to work!

Pros

Good hours

Cons

No stability or family/work compromise !

Killer job with uneven management practices

The best part of the job was helping students as well as supply teaching. Being a full-time teacher was very difficult due to a hard to manage work-life balance, especially with a starting teaching career.

Pros

the pay

Cons

hours and management style

Overall good

They helped me process my paperwork quickly when I needed to replace a teacher last minute. They were friendly and helped me with everything I needed. Coronation is a great school to work at.

Poor

Benefits are not benefits but compulsory payments. As a result after paying for benefits and tax the salary is very poor. As well they withhold money from your pay to then allocate that money to you during summer. They obviously collect interest by withholding the money.

Cons

Poor pay

tough

Hello, days are never regular, some could be very stressful and draining. Learned to be patient, improve my second language English, learned to build relationships with special need kids and teachers. Workplace culture it depends of the school but get harder every year. The most enjoyable part of the job:kids still make me laugh despise their hard life.

Pros

start early, finish early

Cons

low salary

Amazing School board work for

I really enjoyed my time working with the EMSB school board. Was a wonderful experience, I would recommend it to any other person, and would definitely take an opportunity if it presents itself.

Great school board

Working at the EMSB provides you an opportunity to work with both elementary and high school students. The system of obtaining a post could be quite inconvenient and depending on the school principal, the school setting could be a bit difficult to adapt to. But besides all the technicalities it's not too bad.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at English Montreal School Board. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement