English Montreal School Board Employee Reviews

Killer job with uneven management practices
Professeur de sciences sociales (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 April 2019
The best part of the job was helping students as well as supply teaching. Being a full-time teacher was very difficult due to a hard to manage work-life balance, especially with a starting teaching career.
Pros
the pay
Cons
hours and management style
Overall good
Homeroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 February 2019
They helped me process my paperwork quickly when I needed to replace a teacher last minute. They were friendly and helped me with everything I needed. Coronation is a great school to work at.
Poor
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 February 2019
Benefits are not benefits but compulsory payments. As a result after paying for benefits and tax the salary is very poor. As well they withhold money from your pay to then allocate that money to you during summer. They obviously collect interest by withholding the money.
Cons
Poor pay
Amazing School board work for
Edcuator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 October 2018
I really enjoyed my time working with the EMSB school board. Was a wonderful experience, I would recommend it to any other person, and would definitely take an opportunity if it presents itself.
Great school board
Special Education Technician (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 August 2018
Working at the EMSB provides you an opportunity to work with both elementary and high school students. The system of obtaining a post could be quite inconvenient and depending on the school principal, the school setting could be a bit difficult to adapt to. But besides all the technicalities it's not too bad.
Great colleagues, opportunities to advance
Montreal - Primary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 July 2018
I enjoy working for the EMSB. I work with a great group of teachers. The administration and teachers work together to provide an exceptional experience for students and parents. There is a lot of community involvement as well.
ensuring that the students explore their creativity
Day Care Educator (Current Employee) –  montreal quebec4 June 2018
A typical day at work for me consist engaging the students as well planning extra curricular activities, i also provide supervision in order ensure that the students feel secure in their environment. interms of a being an educator for the EMSB it is absolutely crucial to maintaining an inclusive environment for the students as well as being a team player for my colleagues. The best part of my day is learning something new every day
Pros
you learn something new everyday
Cons
not enough time
Productive,fast pace, and dedication
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 April 2018
Excellent service, great staff,Hard work, Organized, always productive, always there to adapt new skills,learning all the students names, get ways to get to know people, answering the phone but sometimes you can't really understand parents when they talk, and I enjoyed being there & working hard.
Régisseur
Régisseur aux services matériels (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 December 2017
Supervision des travaux effectués par l'équipe d'entretien de la Commission Scolaire. Suivi des projets, production de rapport pour le planificateur de projets. Recommandation des interventions à effectuer dans les écoles.
Productive workplace
Child Care Worker (CCW) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 May 2017
lots of support from teachers and other colleagues. I learned a lot from working with both students and teachers. I would definitely recommend this job for those who truly want to make a difference in people's lives
Best job I have ever had
Tutor/Classroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 March 2017
I work with the best colleagues and truly great students. I am excited to go into work every day because the job is challenging but in the best way. I am forced to be flexible and ready for anything, which is great - it helps to build character and confidence.
Pros
Amazing colleagues, amazing students, great hours
Cons
Sometimes younger students can be a bit rowdy
EMSB experience
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 March 2017
The EMSB is one of the leading school boards in the province, and have worked there as a substitute teacher. Early in the morning i would get phone calls from them asking me if i would be available to substitute for them and i would pick and choose the placements if i wanted. The management was great with me and i never had any problems with them.
Student Interactions
Computer/Network Technician (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 November 2016
At the
English Montreal School Board ,I have learnt that the work is all about facilitating the students.

You have to work above and beyond the job description to get the job done.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the students interacting with fellow students and their teachers.
Pros
Fixed working hours
It's a good place to work but needs a lot of improvement
Special Education Technician (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 November 2016
My place of work is a good school board but like every other company or organization there is room for improvement. You have the opportunity of working in a variety of schools with a diverse population. You also have the opportunity to enhance your skills through workshops and job training seminars. Working with the my school board encourages you to improve your knowledge by paying 80% of your post education tuition.
Working with students with special needs is a challenge but the results are rewarding. A typical day can be emotional draining when completing Math with a kid who is in grade 5 and working at a grade 2 level.The staff work together as a team to help each other and to help the students reach their full potential.
Pros
Always have a job with benefits.
Cons
Never know whither your position will be abolished or not.
Great place to work in
COOK CLASS II / CAFETERIA MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 September 2016
Completes all the three C's you are looking for in a job : Compensation, Culture and Company. They empower you to do the best in your job and are open to ideas and new innovations.
Very challenging
Lunch monitor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 September 2016
My job was very challenging and demanding because of working with young and autistic children with learning disabilities, outdoor and indoor activities, it was fun .
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Only one hour a day
Summary
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 May 2016
working for the school board is a good job, it has its benefits but I would like something more challenging and better salary.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
stressfull
Wonderful ladies to work with
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 April 2016
working there was great, provides a lot of opportunities and sorry to leave. The hours don't work with me attending school full time.
Pros
Good pay, lovely staff
Cons
short hours, on call
Enriched learning environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 January 2016
I had the opportunity to use my educational and research experiences to practice as a teacher. This opportunity was full of various learning experiences and was rewarding as a professional educator.
Pros
inexpensive lunch
Cons
bi-weekly
challenging / rewording
SPECIAL EDUCATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Montreal Canada10 January 2016
The cliental I work with often come in with fear, confusion, anger and despair. but most of all lack of trust for outsiders.

My day-to-day interaction was spend as the lead front line worker for children / youth with significant behavioral challenges I learned quickly no two situation are alike and no two individuals respond in the same way.

Most of the student had no intention of following the rules and or expectations of the teaches / schools. It was my job respond to the crisis, and to help find solutions for all involved .

In a school with 300 and 400 students and lack of resource and teacher training etc. it is difficult at times to keep a balance and find ways of providing support and growth opportunities .

Establishing a warm, nurturing but firm relationship, with my students and families was often a major challenge but was also the most rewording part of my job.

Being able to see the changes take place with some of the most difficult students that would otherwise have being transferred were some of my greatest success, and made going to work enjoyable

my references with back up my dedication and skills .
Pros
witnessing change, being a mentor
Cons
lack of resource

Ask a question about working or interviewing at English Montreal School Board. Our community is ready to answer.

English Montreal School Board Reviews by Location