English Montreal School Board

English Montreal School Board Employee Reviews

Canada42 reviews
The EMSB is a great place to work. Westmount Park Elementary specifically is a well run establishment with a great culture to work in. The school understand the needs of both staff and students
Every school is different , I do not want to generalize the complete school board , but my particular experience at one school was very poor. School needed more resources and should have been better managed.
Working here was not what I expected. Voluntary classes made attendance horrible. I wouldn't recommend it due to positions being filled through connections; what I mean is, you need to know someone who's in to get in and move up. Furthermore it is a job that is very, do your job and don't bother management type job.
We are overworked and overloaded with tasks unrelated to teaching! Too many hours spent on uneducational activities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plans are planned from absent teachers. Follow a plan and execute the lesson plan.

I had to travel all over Montreal to sub at different schools in order to keep up with a decent pay.

I worked with all different levels of students and met/ worked with a wide range of experienced teachers.

It's a must to have strong class management skills to work with a new group of students.
I enjoy growing with students,and learning about their interests. Every student brings such joy to the table,and their care free attitude is refreshing.I enjoy children,from all cultures,and learn a few new words. Some children bring insight to their lives.I want to open their mind and show them how to treat beautiful items and how colours can spark their imagines.Children to me are precoius,and I must be careful how I interact with them
Challenging atmosphere but in a good way. It is a great place to work that has helpful staff and amazing students. I would recommend working for the EMSB any day.
I started as a replacement . Took me a while to adapt but i love my work and hours and the flexibility. Only draw back is you start with less hours and there are not enough hours. Your pay After deduction is not worth the stress you go through each and everyday.
I currently sub for the EMSB but worked full time there before so aforementioned salary refers to that time. Supportive staff, many opportunities for choosing right fit for schools. Only drawback is selection is sometimes based on who you know. I didn't have that connection but taught math so didn't need it.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at English Montreal School Board?
You need to do everything in the school as a School secretary and also replace the Secretaries in front. You learn how to do payroll for teachers, substitutes and do bank reconciliation. You also have to count on a weekly basis cafeteria money and also large amount of money for big events.
Cons
Staying late to finish your work
I enjoyed working with the staff and students at my school. However, working with the EMSB poses some challenges. Foremost, the hours that one can work is very limited and having to do split shift does not allow for one to work elsewhere. In other words, one could only work 4 hours a day because of the schedule.
Pros
It is very rewarding knowing that you are impacting young lives.
Cons
Not enough hours of work and usually the schedule is ridiculous.
It seemed like a nice place to work, but as soon as a announced my pregnancy... everything changed. My boss was very unhappy with that . I asked twice for family /work compromise and it was denied. They abolished my position when i was on maternity leave and now i have no job . So if you want a family, not a good place to work!
Pros
Good hours
Cons
No stability or family/work compromise !
The best part of the job was helping students as well as supply teaching. Being a full-time teacher was very difficult due to a hard to manage work-life balance, especially with a starting teaching career.
Pros
the pay
Cons
hours and management style
They helped me process my paperwork quickly when I needed to replace a teacher last minute. They were friendly and helped me with everything I needed. Coronation is a great school to work at.
Benefits are not benefits but compulsory payments. As a result after paying for benefits and tax the salary is very poor. As well they withhold money from your pay to then allocate that money to you during summer. They obviously collect interest by withholding the money.
Cons
Poor pay
Hello,
days are never regular, some could be very stressful and draining.

Learned to be patient, improve my second language English, learned to build relationships with special need kids and teachers.

Workplace culture it depends of the school but get harder every year.

The most enjoyable part of the job:kids still make me laugh despise their hard life.
Pros
start early, finish early
Cons
low salary
I really enjoyed my time working with the EMSB school board. Was a wonderful experience, I would recommend it to any other person, and would definitely take an opportunity if it presents itself.
Working at the EMSB provides you an opportunity to work with both elementary and high school students. The system of obtaining a post could be quite inconvenient and depending on the school principal, the school setting could be a bit difficult to adapt to. But besides all the technicalities it's not too bad.
I enjoy working for the EMSB. I work with a great group of teachers. The administration and teachers work together to provide an exceptional experience for students and parents. There is a lot of community involvement as well.
A typical day at work for me consist engaging the students as well planning extra curricular activities, i also provide supervision in order ensure that the students feel secure in their environment. interms of a being an educator for the EMSB it is absolutely crucial to maintaining an inclusive environment for the students as well as being a team player for my colleagues. The best part of my day is learning something new every day
Pros
you learn something new everyday
Cons
not enough time
Excellent service, great staff,Hard work, Organized, always productive, always there to adapt new skills,learning all the students names, get ways to get to know people, answering the phone but sometimes you can't really understand parents when they talk, and I enjoyed being there & working hard.