EnCana Corporation

EnCana Corporation Work-life balance reviews

Clear
4.0Pay & benefits

Industry leader with a strong corporate culture

Great work/life balance employer. 8 and 6 shift with a lot of diversity in job tasks. Company culture encourages personal growth and development and provides opportunities for such growth.

Dynamic workplace

A good company with good benefits and challenging opportunities; change is a constant at this organization; morale at times was low as a result of constant change

Great company with good work/life balance

Great company to work for. Good benefits and work/life balance. If it wasn't for the low gas price, it would have been a dream company for petroleum engineers.

Great place to work, nice people, beautiful offices

There's an earlier start to the day, I was typically in around 8am, got a cup of coffee and got settled in for the day. I would then have a meeting with my supervisor just to go over my project and what the focus of the day was. I was always able to ask any questions I had. There was a great culture of inclusion and open flow of communication, ensuring all employees were on the same page. I would also often get lunch with colleagues, with regular social events to meet employees in other departments.

Not a great work environment

Work was basically the same as at the predecessor company (PanCanadian Petroleum) except that Technologists are not respected for their knowledge. In order to be promoted you need to be an actual engineer.

Pros

Lots of Flashy Parties

Cons

Not recognized for work knowledge

Good people; Challenging work environment

Encana used to be a great place to work at. Current market conditions have made it more difficult with long hours, rotating property sales and constant change in budget/scheduling plans. Despite that I have always enjoyed working with the people at Encana and hope that the culture maintains a positive outlook.

Best company I ever worked for

There was a positive vibe throughout the company. Everyone was treated as equals. There was plenty of room to advance if you showed an interest. Lots of hard work combined with lots of fun events.

Pros

I learned so much about oil and gas

Cons

Can't think of any

Lots of work

Great group of people to work with. Being a large E&P company there are many opportunities to work on different projects and with different groups. Great building to work in.

From Excellent to Horrible in 4 Years

Encana, specifically IS, was a great place to work 4+ years ago. Moral was high, the staff were talented, compensation was good, and it was all about excellence. Fast forward to 2017 and nearly all of IS has been outsourced and many talented people were let go or left of their own accord. Management has destroyed their reputation's through the advancement of an obvious but never admitted to downsizing over the last 4 years. The opportunities for career advancement dried up and staffing decisions were obviously biased.

Pros

1st and 3rd Friday's of the month off.

Cons

Poor management, no career advancement, poor compensation

Good work/life balance

Alternating Fridays off are always welcomed for those individuals who are family orientated. Unfortunately, the ongoing office politics eventually becomes tiring - affecting overall productivity as well as morale.

Pros

Good work/life balance

Cons

Too much office politics

Great company, great experience

My overall review of Encana is that they are a great company. Like all companies they need to work out the kinks but overall very grateful for the experience and start to my career they have given me.

Excellent Company to Advance

EnCana was great to the employees. Good philosophy of happy employees are productive employees. Fantastic benefits and incentives. Expectations of self-betterment and advancement.

Pros

Freedom to grow personally and professionally

O&G in Calgary

When oil is up, its great and pay is fantastic, everyone is happy. When oil went down or groups were reducing the culture was much different. The opportunities are endless and they treated me right in the end. Its exactly how any major oil company would act

Pros

great pay and bonuses, opportunities to advance

Cons

layoffs

Work/life balance at Encana was great, work was very interesting, co-workers were great to work with, and management was excellent.

Great people to work with

Encana provided a great atmosphere to work. You are very accountable for your actions and will be rewarded for your hard work.

Pros

The people who work there

Cons

Too big of a company

Great Company

Excellent place to work, full of challenge and benefits. Tough time for the oil and gas industry in Canada. Leadership is excellent, clear winning vision.

Pros

Great pay and benefits and challenging work

Cons

Tough time for the oil and Gas industry

Fun and Productive place to work with

This company offers work-life balance and flexible work hours. Worked with many friendly and helpful co-workers. It encourages growth and learning, fun and working in teams.

Pros

Rewards and bonus for great achivements

Cons

have to work extra hours to earn Friday days off

Not what it used to be

Unfortunately, with the recent changing if the reigns at Encana (which WAS desperately needed), company culture and morale have been severely eroded, and in some cases now non-existent (Facilities Engineering - Technical Services, specifically). People are unhappy and simply cash their paycheck with no passion or enthusiasm for the job - which previously existed and oozed everywhere. The only "perk" that keeps people at the company are the two Fridays off per month. Recruiters and HR personnel actively root out and shred resumes with Encana on them. I am sure Gwyn would be proud to see the ship steered in the right direction, but not at the expense of ripping out its soul. RIP to a once great company.

Pros

Work Life Balance

Cons

Work environment, middle management, compensation

What I learned.

The upstream oil and gas environment and the all the duties it entails. The includes interaction with government, landowners, land companies and other interveners.

Pros

Work life balance.

Cons

A very large amount of paperwork.

Very productive company with lots of advancement. How i wish to get an opportunity with them at any time. Missed them big time!

Lots of different tasks to learn on day-day work. I have so much with records management. Very friendly and educated people. I enjoy a very clean environment and a first week Friday off of each Month.

Was Good Place

Excellent Work Life Balance Culture has started to shift Benefit were excellent Long term incentives

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EnCana Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement