Emterra Group

Emterra Group Employee Reviews

Canada229 reviews

Insights into Emterra Group

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Supportive environment

Manager was great, co-workers sucked

The biggest complaint I have is that this type of work is very teamwork-dependent, and it takes a special group of guys/girls with chemistry to pull it off each day. Unfortunately at the Oxford, ON site, the management had to deal with guys who didn’t want to work as a team. There were a specific few that were especially terrible at their job.

Pros

Good management, steady pay cheque

Cons

Long hours, bad co-workers

16 June 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We believe teamwork makes the dream work, so we're very sorry to hear that you didn't feel this applied to your site. We welcome you to reach out to hr@emterra.ca to open a discussion around your experience as we'd like to address this issue and ensure everyone on the team feels supported moving forward.

Emterra is bad for the people of Oxford County.

Worse employer i've ever had. They work you like a dog with no breaks and no lunch. There is also no team mentality. Management on site also gets zero support from the higher ups at Emterra.

Pros

exercise

Cons

long hours, physical exhaustion, terrible management.

Broke me

Day to day phone interaction with residents of Chilliwack bc. Residents will fight, argue and threaten you all over garbage, compost, glass and recycling. If you are able to take the daily screaming and yelling, not to mention the name calling this job is for you. If you are struggling with Mental health issues I do not recommend working here. The Management is micro-managing and have to be in every department needed or not. Will not let you do your job without stepping into an email or phone call. You will make a decision on a call or complain and the management will undermine you and go to the residents and collect non-compliant collections. What am I here for then? Why hire staff to do a job your already doing? Wages are very small and raises are scares.

Pros

Medical, Dental, Monday to Friday work if you are in the office

Cons

Abusive Residents, Communicating with the City of Chilliwack regarding collection photos and inquiries, No confidentiality, everyone knows your business

13 January 2022
We're very sorry to hear you feel this way about your experience, but we thank you for bringing this to our attention as we are working toward creating positive change within our company. Your feedback will certainly be taken into consideration.Please reach out to hr@emterra.ca to share any further details about your experience. Take care.

Not recommended

Great if you don't want to work weekends, other than that it's just a job. No incentive to say, low income, no pension or RRSP matching for the long time employees who actually stay. You will be verbally abused every day from residents and some staff. Office staff can be loud, rude and hard to deal with. You will work with a Ops Manager who's a micro-manager and will be in every department except their own. No support from Management regarding rules and regulations for the collection program in Chilliwack. Inconsistent collections between workers/trucks/management which makes it hard to do your job efficiently.

Pros

Weekends off - Work life balance is nice

Cons

No incentives for current staff i:e.... RRSP matching, Pension plan, raises can and have been less than 1%. Micro-managing Management. No support from Head Office.

13 January 2022

The right manager makes the difference

Working for the right manager definitely makes it worth while.If you have a question, ask.When given an assignment, ask for clarity then get it done.No nonsense.

Pros

Management style - talk to me, what do I need to explain to make you successful

Cons

Not all managers are built the same :(

4 November 2021
Thanks for the 5-star rating and feedback. We're happy to hear your manager is invested in your growth. Have a safe day!

Days fly by

If you have good work ethic and don’t mind getting dirty. This place is for you. If you don’t like to work and don’t like to get dirty look elsewhere

3 September 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and not being afraid to get your hands dirty in the name of the environment. Have a safe day!

Worst place i have ever worked for

Management is a joke. They play favorites, discuss personal info about other drivers, expect you to live for work, work all holidays. And they make you feel guilty for requesting days off. If you want to keep your sanity, self respect, and a reasonable home/work balance. Do NOT work here

Pros

Cons

Tons

22 July 2021
Thank you for sharing your concerns. Your feedback is important to us so we can make the necessary changes to ensure everyone feels welcomed. This is certainly not the culture we strive to create at Emterra and welcome you to email hr@emterra.ca with further details to open a discussion around your experience. Take care.

It a fun place to work

Great company to work for Everyone help each other We all finish work together Safety is the number one gold at Emterra environment its a great place to work

Pros

Getting your job done safely

Cons

Be on time for work

19 July 2021
Safety is definitely a #1 priority for us at Emterra - we're glad that shines through in your experience with us. Thank you for your feedback! Have a safe day.

Productive and team orientated environment.

You won't need a gym membership, working here. You get plenty of exercise and fresh air. Great team environment, everyone helps each other and are very pleasant to deal with. Management is great and very friendly and informative.Great routes and the people on them. Freedom to work on your own and to get your job done!

Pros

Meeting great people!

Cons

Some repetitive heavy lifting, in a small amount of time.

19 July 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're happy to hear you're enjoying your role at Emterra. Definitely a great way to enjoy the summer! Stay safe.

Employee focused company

Emterra is a company that is focused on the future of the waste industry by creating a culture that promotes and supports a healthy work life balance. A growing company in a changing industry provides room for individual growth and advancement. It's not all easy work but it's rewarding.

Pros

Growth opportunities

19 July 2021
We believe people make things happen - that's why it's so important for us to invest in our employees and provide an environment where they can thrive. We're glad to hear you feel the same. Thank you for your review!

Great opportunity for personal development

My experience at Emterra has been wonderful from the get go. The management is supportive, and team work is excellent. A typical day is never the same, and keeps you on your toes. The management structure much flatter than in some larger companies, and as such, you get to know your reports much better. Your input is valued and attempts at business improvements and individual leadership styles are welcomed.The workplace culture is very team oriented, my reports go out together and come back to the yard together, creating a sense of family.The toughest part of the job can be the longer hours, but this can be self managed to an extent. The feedback from employees and seeing improvements take place make every effort worth it.

Pros

Excellent Management team, which allows you to provide input and improvements, great for self motivated indivduals

Cons

Schedule isn't always exactly the same

19 July 2021
Thank you for the 5-star rating. We're elated to hear that you feel supported and a true part of the Emterra family. Teamwork makes the dream work after all!

Don’t work here

This job is dependent on teamwork. Due to favouritism by the manager I would need to pitch in and help out but a couple of people never had to. I was partnered with someone who definitely should have his licensed removed. I almost fell off the back truck. Sometimes you are working as late as 8 or 9 pm. One person never had to. The trucks constantly break down I had residents come up and tell me my truck left a puddle of oil in their driveway. I had no faith in the manager. It is unionized but you are really just giving them free money they do nothing for you.

Pros

Tips

Cons

Long hours? No management skills. Favouritism

19 July 2021
Your feedback is important to us. We welcome you to email hr@emterra.ca with further details to open a discussion around your experience, as we want to ensure all employees feel welcomed and a true part of the Emterra family. Take care.

Tremendous Company, exceptional Management

Emterra Group is a wonderful Company to work for. The entire hiring process was comfortable and appealing from the first contact with the Recruiter Zoe to the interviews with senior Management. I'm honored to be an employee with such a wonderful organization.

Pros

Fantastic work environment

19 July 2021
Thank you for your feedback - that's great to hear. Welcome to our em'azing team!

A good career and pay cheque

Was just looking for a job but found a career. I work hard but make good money. Everyone is great and I'm happy I took the job. I've been with a few of the Waste companies and so far Emterra is the best by far.

Pros

Fun at work, a good work out and good money

Cons

Hot and cold working environments based on the season. Just be prepared for the day.

24 June 2021
Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear you're enjoying your experience within our organization and getting a good workout while you're at it! Stay safe.

Hard word but rewarding! Helpful staff!

I've been working at Emterra for just over two years and I Love it! Yes it's hard work and sometimes long days, but they told me all that before I was hired. They're fair and the pay and benefits are really good. It's a good team environment and everyone from their recruiter to my supervisor is really supportive and encouraging. If you want a career I recommend Emterra!

Pros

Benefits, uniforms, a future.

Cons

Long day and some heavy lifting.

24 June 2021
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We're happy to hear you're enjoying your time with us. It's definitely not easy work, but we're so appreciative of people like yourself who are helping us leave the world a little greener. Stay safe.

Good work please lots of help to make sure you’re a success

Good management team good team atmosphere good compensation, Long hours everyone’s willing to help everybody can get the job done In a quick and safe Manner

Pros

Four day work week

24 June 2021
Thank you for your review. We're happy to hear that you feel supported by your team. Teamwork makes the dream work! Have a safe day.

Awesome Job and Company!

Only requirement must love to work outdoors! Great People, Great Environment, Excellent Equipment Benefits and Pay Very Good! Stable Job Year Round!

Pros

Free Tan and Gym Membership for Life

24 June 2021
Thanks for leaving us a 5-Star review! We're happy to hear you're enjoying your role and getting a great tan and workout while you're at it. Stay safe.

Great process

The interview and orientation was very welcoming. The professionalism by every individual I've met so far is fantastic. Very professional ran company.

24 June 2021
Thank you for your feedback and welcome to the team! We look forward to your continued growth.

Good experience, great crew!

Very physical Excellent people to work withThe job must be done so have patience with unforseen issuesYou deal with the public and have to watch your p's and q's

Pros

The crew always supports and has a positive attitude

Cons

Possible long hours and tough work

26 May 2021
The job of a waste management worker isn't always easy but it is essential in making the world a little greener. Thank you for your service and for taking the time to leave your feedback. Take care.

Productive work environment

Just started in 2021 and really Enjoy working at Emterra gives me a sense of belonging and being able to challenge myself in my sales role, never a dull day.

Pros

Opportunity to grow within the company

26 May 2021
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're so happy to hear you feel part of our Emterra family. Look forward to your continued growth within the company!

Outdoor job with no need to go to the gym after work!

Emterra is a great place to work! Anything you need whether it be uniforms, sanitizer, or parts on your truck that need fixing or replacing, they do it in a very prompt mannor. The job itself is very rigorous and challenging in the heat and extreme cold temperatures. Overall I’m enjoying working at emterra and would encourage other people to apply to work there!

Pros

4 day work weeks

Cons

Tiring job, weather and climate

26 May 2021
Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience. We're so happy to hear you feel you have everything you need to have a safe day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Emterra Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7