Emterra Group Employee Reviews

Not worth it!
Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 April 2018
Applied this company last year and offered me $17.50 to start 12 Hr worst like route. Rest of the companies start from minimum $25.

If you inexperienced then this might be place to endure torture in return for experience :)

Company manager was bragging about giving me $1 more after 3 months. Its a joke.

Everyone in this field knows recycling and garbage truck managers puts on enormous pressure on drivers to get daily routes done. If you can’t then you won’t stay there.
Pros
Might be good for newbies
Cons
Everthing else
unorganized, unsafe and recycle employees
maintenance (Former Employee) –  surrey bc9 March 2018
worked there for 6 months, miserable and unsafe work environment. Co workers hated coming in, made me dread coming to work. Very unorganized...t4 was given to me a month late, paystubs were never on time. Paystubs always had to be double checked due to errors.

Benefits are supposed to start after 3 months and at 6 months I hstill hadnt recieved them.

I would say stay away...youll end up leaving and waste your time.
Cons
bad hours
Upper Management and Union are brutal
Driver Trainer/ Curbside Collector (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON12 February 2018
Emterra upper management is incompetent and always deflect responsibility onto workers because they are useless.It's easier for them to blame curbside collectors , than for them to answer to the region or Emmy.
If you have an opportunity to work anyplace else , take it you will be much better off.
Pros
some decent co- workers
Cons
union is brutal
Do not apply
Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 February 2018
Was a previous employee at the Peel Region division. Very low on man power - not enough trucks. Likes to deflect blame on to the employees to not get in trouble with the region. Poor facility (noheat) trucks barely get fixed. Supervisors are bad if you are on their bad side they will screw around with you... You might as well quit. Union likes to say "they have a right to manage" which means sorry can't help you. Paycheques are always short on hours. If you can avoid this company. If you are going to get screwed by a garbage company at least choose one that pays better.
Pros
Fellow employees
Cons
Everything else
Not again
Driver/Loader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 January 2018
Get in the truck and figure it out is the motto here. Paid much less than other companies in the industry. I worked for 1 week and quit because I value my safety and respect the MTO hours of service(HOS); I have yet to be paid for the weeks work.

Truck do not get fixed and you burn atleast an hour waiting in the line for the 1 mechanic on thebmornimg to hopefully fix your truck. Than are still required to ensure your route is finished as you may or may not be able to get help from the other trucks.

SHAMEFUL!!
Pros
Mon-Thur shifts
Cons
Back breaking (for rear packer), lack of safety protocol implementaion, no trainin
Enterrable place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON11 January 2018
Company is so mismanaged they deserve a Darwin Award. Union is weak Waste of money. Trucks are old and poorly maintained in Niagara. Absolutely no proper training of any sort. Working here is one notch above welfare and EI. Do yourself a favour and keep LOOKING...!!!!
Pros
You have a job
Cons
When you get injured your screwed
Don't Ever Ask For Help While Working Here
Office staff (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 January 2018
This is the only company I've ever worked for where you dare not ask for help if you feel overwhelmed. Too bad, so sad. They make one person do the job of 2 or 3 and pay as little as possible. They do not value their employees and give no incentive or recognition to increase loyalty or productivity. Management at HO are sneaky and talk badly behind employee's backs. Most of the people at HO talk to and treat you like you're a lowlife imbecile. Thankfully the people I worked with directly are great. Do yourself a favour and look elsewhere; even fast food. I'm not sure how the long-term employees can put up with what they do. They are rocks.
Pros
Flexible if you have family
Cons
Devalue employees, low pay/long hrs for office staff
Supervisor is clueless
Driver/Loader (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON30 December 2017
Worst company I have ever worked for. Supervisor has no clue what he is doing but constantly talks about how wonderful he is. Hard workers are rewarded with more work while those who can't do the job are bailed out constantly rather than actually being trained.
Pros
Cons
Supervisor is a clown
bad company
Driver/Loader (Former Employee) –  peel and niagara20 November 2017
this is a unsafe company too long of hours and very hard job with no rewards. owners just worry about profit with workers falling of trucks. just don't do it look elsewhere.
Pros
non
Cons
safety
Cant even put into words
Side loader (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON13 November 2017
I've never complained about a job before. This place is the definition of slave labor. I feel bad for the people that are there. Trucks are falling apart, supervisors push past human limits. The injury rate is unbeleivable.
Pros
Hmmm
Cons
Would rather gouge my eyes out with plastic forks than work here
Loader (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON4 November 2017
Management is terrible and thrive from grief and pain. 10/10 say don't apply. I would never recommend such a hole in the wall to anyone. More importantly the washrooms are kept unclean and trucks are always broken. Very corrupt place
Hazardous Job with unqualified management
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC9 September 2017
A typical day included sorting through our city's recycling, cleaning loading and organizing. Workers in this position typically earned $13, from $10 after a union was brought in, due to some previously unsavory work practices and management. Unfortunately management is still unqualified with workers assigning their own tasks, and operating machines with no prior training or supervision. The job is still extremely hazardous, with workers on the line exposed to needles, sharp glass, soiled laundry, human and animal waste, dangerous construction materials such as asbestos, acids, concrete dust etc, without the proper protective equipment such as water proof gloves or mandatory respirators. Would not recommend working with this company if you value your health.
Pros
Above minimum wage, long hours
Cons
very hazardous, low morale, bad supervision and management
Unhealthy environment
Side loader (Former Employee) –  St catharines3 June 2017
Low pay ,,, lots of drama corruption within management and favoured workers .., drug abuse is a huge issue not taken serious, worker safety is last concern., equipment is dated not maintained,
A waste management company that thrives on slave labour
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 July 2016
There is no company culture or values to speak of. The top management is always chasing the latest fad in the industry. It became "big" at the expense of its employees and smaller competitors. Equipment and facilities are outdated. Management has no concern for the workers. The company bought out its competitors for pennies to the dollar. For the homeless, working there as swampers or sorters is better than having no income at all.
Pros
better than being unemployed
Cons
everything else
Lighting myself on fire would be less painful
Driver loader (Former Employee) –  London, ON, Brantford ON3 March 2016
I worked... No wait slaved here for what felt like an eternity. Summer was 55 plus hours a week.
Winter was over 75 hours a week.
Outdated unsafe equipment, horrible management... And as for Emmy...if you're desperate then I guess. But there's a lot better places to work.
Pros
Killer paychecks
Cons
You don't matter in anyway shape or for, if you drop dead you're replaced and forgotten instantly.
worst job environment I've ever worked in
driver (Former Employee) –  BC19 November 2015
low pay. very long days. little to no training provided. if you asked 5 people how to do a task you would get 5 very different answers. do yourself a favour and don't waste your time.
Pros
Working by yourself.
Cons
Everything.
Good Job
Recycling Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON15 August 2012
I liked working for emterra when i worked there.There were a few times that were challenging but i made it thru it.I would work there again if i need to.