Emterra Group Employee Reviews

Not a good place to be
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 January 2019
I worked here 2015...was laid off because hr and scalehouse ladies decided to pass around a petition to get me fired because of my so called whoring around the site. Thank you for the lay off tho. That was great. Not sappose to talk about who actually is whoring around there...maybe yall should actually do some work opposed to giving into all the male toxicity there. And them scale house girls need to be put in check too.
Cons
Straight up gossip
Emterrible
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 January 2019
Stay as far away as possible from this company. The devil himself wouldn’t even work here. ASL trucks fall apart, rear packs leak everywhere and barely work. Management is just down right terrible. This company is literally managed by Waste Management’s rejects. Driver and loader pay is terrible, mechanic pay is terrible, no PPE provided. No driver and loader uniforms, they give you an “Emterra” patch to stick over your previous employers logo. The shop isn’t even equipped to repair anything, it’s freezing cold in the winter since the heaters barely work. You’re better off being jobless than to work here.
Pros
Trucks break down all the time, so if you like to stay home and not get paid then this job is great for you.
Cons
This place had more cons than a prison
Corrupt racist management
Driver (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON1 January 2019
Supervisors selling drugs to drivers/loaders to go faster and keep their jobs. If you are a minority/European/ etc you get discriminated against yet the owner is Asian. Wrong people in high positions. Just a game for them
Former Driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC28 December 2018
Long hours very physical for low pay don't work for them it is a back breaking job and management don't care if you get hurt you will be lucky if you get a swamper
Just don’t
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC3 December 2018
Slavery is alive and well so it would seem. They underbid on every contract and it shows, from top to bottom. I’ve never seen a company treat people so terribly in my life. Shame on the manicupalities that award them contracts!
Pros
Weekend off
Cons
Soul sucking
Horrible Work Environment
Driver/Swamper (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 November 2018
Worked as a truck driver/swamper here a number of years ago. The work is incredibly physically demanding and there's no support workers helping the drivers. You have to do all the work yourself. Ended up injuring my knees permanently because of this job. I do not reccomend anyone working here if you care about your physical well being. Also the pay was really low at $17
Pros
Consistant hours, 4 days on 3 off
Cons
Incredibly physically demanding/no support/low pay
Avoid
Truck and Coach Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 November 2018
Avoid working here if you want to start a career in the truck and coach field.
No PPE is given. You work on bioharardous trucks and refused something as simple as latex gloves.
The pay is not good and for working on garbage you get no incentive working there.
Management only cares about the budget because thats extra money in their pocket.
Pros
Cons
Trucks stink, juice splashes everywhere, no gloves
Horrible.
Apprentice Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 November 2018
I don’t recommend anyone to work here.
No organized.
Management is horrible.
Shop is literally an asbestos filled bunker
Bring your own gloves because they don’t believe it’s PPE ( should see what garbage juice can do to your tools) let alone skin
120 trucks and one mechanic.
Your efforts won’t get you anywhere as hard work isn’t appricitiated.
Pros
Can’t think of any
Cons
Garbage trucks stinks, hoppers and nasty. Trucks don’t get cleaned.
Don’t recommend it
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ontario5 November 2018
I have never seen employees so not happy before. When you work 12 hours a day for so little money and temp agency employees can make more than drivers do that’s a problem. Management is so disorganized. There is very little training and support. The office politics is a lot too. There is very little room to advance and they change their minds on a dime about your position. Unless you are a driver which is a tough job and so little pay you have zero job security or opportunity to advance.
Pros
Cons
No support. Office politics. Low wages
Bad company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC18 October 2018
I worked for Emterra driving side loader truck the truck would always break down equipment was not maintained poor pay disorganized company do not treat their employees with respect worst company ever the equipment and truck were always breaking down this company has no maintenance program management is incompetent and they blame employees when the equiptment i dont recommend working for Emterra
Pros
Mon to Friday
Cons
Poor pay long hrs old equipment trucks always break down
Rewarding workplace with opportunity for growth and advancement.
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Ontario17 October 2018
Emterra is a rewarding place to work, with lots of opportunity to move up, make connections, and contribute. Each day is different and challenging. Management communicates effectively with the workforce, providing good information on the company's vision for the future. I've met many great people and have had several opportunities to work with different teams and departments.
Fast-paced and team-oriented working environment
Accounts Receivable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON28 September 2018
I worked there as an Accounts Receivable Coordinator for a two weeks contract. I dealt with high volume( over 4000 of clients ) of collections data. Specifically I focused on Receivable Historical Aging Trial Balance, communicated with clients about the outstanding invoices, emailed ATB reports or invoices to them and ask for payment details.
Pros
nice practice opportunity
Not like bigger contracts
Driver/Loader (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON7 August 2018
Unlike some of the bigger contracts I have worked for the brant contract is a real team. Supervisors actually care about the staff and will even get on a truck if needed. Should never have burned this bridge hoping for better opportunities and greener pastures.
Pros
Team atmosphere, positive changes happening
Cons
Can be long hours and hard work
Human resources (Former Employee) –  Ontario4 May 2018
Not worth it!
Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 April 2018
Applied this company last year and offered me $17.50 to start 12 Hr worst like route. Rest of the companies start from minimum $25.

If you inexperienced then this might be place to endure torture in return for experience :)

Company manager was bragging about giving me $1 more after 3 months. Its a joke.

Everyone in this field knows recycling and garbage truck managers puts on enormous pressure on drivers to get daily routes done. If you can’t then you won’t stay there.
Pros
Might be good for newbies
Cons
Everthing else
unorganized, unsafe and recycle employees
maintenance (Former Employee) –  surrey bc9 March 2018
worked there for 6 months, miserable and unsafe work environment. Co workers hated coming in, made me dread coming to work. Very unorganized...t4 was given to me a month late, paystubs were never on time. Paystubs always had to be double checked due to errors.

Benefits are supposed to start after 3 months and at 6 months I hstill hadnt recieved them.

I would say stay away...youll end up leaving and waste your time.
Cons
bad hours
Driver Trainer/ Curbside Collector (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON12 February 2018
Do not apply
Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 February 2018
Was a previous employee at the Peel Region division. Very low on man power - not enough trucks. Likes to deflect blame on to the employees to not get in trouble with the region. Poor facility (noheat) trucks barely get fixed. Supervisors are bad if you are on their bad side they will screw around with you... You might as well quit. Union likes to say "they have a right to manage" which means sorry can't help you. Paycheques are always short on hours. If you can avoid this company. If you are going to get screwed by a garbage company at least choose one that pays better.
Pros
Fellow employees
Cons
Everything else
Not again
Driver/Loader (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 January 2018
Get in the truck and figure it out is the motto here. Paid much less than other companies in the industry. I worked for 1 week and quit because I value my safety and respect the MTO hours of service(HOS); I have yet to be paid for the weeks work.

Truck do not get fixed and you burn atleast an hour waiting in the line for the 1 mechanic on thebmornimg to hopefully fix your truck. Than are still required to ensure your route is finished as you may or may not be able to get help from the other trucks.

SHAMEFUL!!
Pros
Mon-Thur shifts
Cons
Back breaking (for rear packer), lack of safety protocol implementaion, no trainin
Enterrable place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON11 January 2018
Company is so mismanaged they deserve a Darwin Award. Union is weak Waste of money. Trucks are old and poorly maintained in Niagara. Absolutely no proper training of any sort. Working here is one notch above welfare and EI. Do yourself a favour and keep LOOKING...!!!!
Pros
You have a job
Cons
When you get injured your screwed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Emterra Group. Our community is ready to answer.

1.7