Empower Simcoe
Happiness score is 39 out of 100

Empower Simcoe Employee Reviews

Canada32 reviews

staffemployeepeoplemanagementworkgreatgoodlot

Management overhaul a MUST!!

Although your coworkers are very supportive your management team is far from. They only care about themselves and not those on the bottom of the tottem poll. They pile on the work with little to no support. If you're not desperate for a job I would seek elsewhere.

Pros

Great coworkers

Cons

Management unsupporttive

Stressful, short staffed, lack of management

What to say about a organization with so many problems? High staff turnover, lack of management/support, hiring inquisitors managers, use of outside agency staff who have little to no experience in the developmental field, not putting people supporters needs first, no work line balance, little to no ability to move up in the company unless you are friends with a higher up. CEO that cares more about her public appearance than her frontline workers and the people the agency supports.

Pros

You get to go home at the end of the day, co workers, people supported

Cons

High stress with no reward, Company does multiple surveys asking for frontline feedback and follows NONE of the suggestions, employees leaving in droves due to poor management and being burnt out, staffing crisis

Insights into Empower Simcoe

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Great Organization to Work For

There are many long-term employees who have worked here for 10, 20 or 30 years, which speaks volumes about what a good organization this is to work for. This organization is focused on supporting vulnerable people the best they can, while compensating their employees competitively. Management is caring and compassionate people that always seek ways to support people and treat staff better, given the time and resources they have. I choose to work here because it's meaningful and stimulating, and the people I work with are kind and hard-working.

Pros

Meaningful work helping the vulnerable, good pay, great benefits, kind and caring co-workers

Cons

Being a non-profit, the work and compensation is very stable, however, not as many perks, or ups and downs as other businesses.

Great supportive team and excellent compensation / work-life balance

Working in the housing department has been a wonderful experience. The team and management are very supportive and collaborative and approachable.Compensation and benefits are very fair and lots of flexibility to help accommodate life and family events/emergencies. The policies and benefits help support and encourage time spent with family to reset/refresh. Management also have been quite supportive and fair towards the individuals being supported and is reflected in the feedback I receive from those I work with. Empathetic approach to supporting those in the program which results in people having an opportunity to live and growth/recover from their past. Best part of the job is seeing people succeed, grow and understanding how the program has greatly and positively impacted their lives.

Collaborative and flexible employer

I have worked with Empower Simcoe for 25 years. The Mission and Values of this agency align with how I want to be treated. The wages are competitive and there is a strong team approach. You get what you give when you work here,

Good agency to build a career with.

I have worked with Empower Simcoe for 25 years. Great coworkers, and great learning opportunities. They offer good pay, benefits, and trainings. Creativity is valued, and there is always a supportive leader to chat with.

Pros

Trainings and flexibility

Cons

Advancement takes long

Great Employer with Strong Teamwork and Partnerships

Empower Simcoe is a large employer in Simcoe County, with a hand in multiple program areas across the sector. The agency pays well, has great benefits package, and a strong desire for the growth and development of their employees. The work culture is great but did take a hit during the pandemic, with the added pressure and drain on resources. Cultivating strong teams is perhaps the agency's greatest strength.

Pros

Job security, competitive wages, fantastic people/coworkers, growth & development

Cons

Flexibility for hours could be improved across programs

Busy but great environment

This is a busy, fast paced company. Doing great job in the community and for the community. Rewarding career whether you are supporting people or working in an administrative role. Company really focuses on providing quality supports. Company is accredited, meaning they operate under a high quality standard that is reviewed every 4 years. The pay and benefits are definitely above average for companies in Barrie and Orillia.

Pros

Great pay, benefits

Used and disregarded.

This was a good company to work for at one time. Now its like a dictator regime where they relish in making you afraid of losing your job for the smallest misdemeanor.They provide good salaries and benefits, but interaction between management and employees is horrible. Do as I say or else!The needs of the clients and staff are totally disregarded.They keep bad employees and supervisors around because they are short staffed which does not promote good staff relations.The last priority here is people supported by the agency which is very sad as that is what this company is supposed to be all about.Inside agencys come in everyday..do nothing and frustrate overworked staff. Im sure the supported familys would be happy to know some of these people landed in Canada last week with no training!Big changes need to be made at the top to stop the mass exodus.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Management.

Demanding, great wages

Extremely busy. Most days you work alone or are with unfamiliar outside agency staff. Many staff are disengaged and burned out. They come to work with no drive or energy because they know that they are either going to be redeployed to another house, work alone or with unfamiliar outside agency staffing. Hardest part of the job is never feeling like you fit in with a team. You or your coworkers are always moved around to other locations and the staffing teams never get to be together long enough to gel. The best part of the job is the people we support!!

Toxic work culture

Management does NOT care about their staff or the people we support. As long as it looks good enough on paper, they don’t care. You’re just a body to fill a shift, which is usually partnered with someone from a staffing agency. Pay is not equivalent to the work load. The gossip is unreal, very toxic. ES is losing GOOD staff because all they care about in branding. Supervisors don’t have a clue what they are doing. It’s actually sad how a job I once loved was ruined by management because they DO NOT CARE!!!

Pros

Extra shifts to pick up

Cons

Long shifts, working with people from staffing agencies, very hard to get any vacation due to shortage of staff, management doesn’t care about you, just care about filling a shift, toxic work environment, especially with some staff who’ve been there for years, some of them need to retire, it’s actually a disservice to the field.

Very good place to work

My experience with Empower Simcoe has been very positive. My supervisor and my team are very supportive. The rewards are good - salary and benefits and it is a safe and diverse place to work. There are many opportunities for training and advancement, if you willing to put in the effort.

Pros

Support, salary, benefits

Cons

short staffed so lots of hours

Rewarding Career

Empower Simcoe has been a supportive place to work. Working through a pandemic supporting people has been challenging however I have always felt supported. There are lots of hours as all community living agencies are short staffed. The Employee Assistance Program has been very helpful for myself and my family and the ongoing training offered for mental health is appreciated. Rewarding work!

Pros

hours of work, team, helping people daily.

Cons

long-term employees who are negative

Not a great experience

Staff are over worked and under appreciated. So many long standing, excellent staff have left over the past two years due to the negative culture. Nothing is being done to make things better. Without change staff are going to continue to leave.

Don’t work here

Do not work here. Simple as that. Management do not care for staff or clients. Lack of training for new staff and new/unfamiliar staff being placed in high behavioural houses. Staff burning out left and right. At first I enjoyed the work, but became burnt out in a matter of months. Every single day you have off you will receive a call to pick up a shift, and they will make you feel bad for saying no (even after working 60 hours in a week). Being at a different agency now in a similar role, I am truly BAFFLED by this agency and how they run their services. Things that seemed so normal to be at Empower Simcoe are absolutely unheard of at my new position. When reaching out to my supervisor at Empower with feelings of burning out, I was told “you will never succeed in this field of work”. I bawled my eyes out that day. I am now successfully working a full-time position in the same exact field, have a supportive team, and have reached professional milestones that would have been unimaginable at Empower Simcoe. For your own mental health & work/life balance I could not recommend more than to stay away from this agency.

Pros

Clients you care for are wonderful

Cons

Work life balance, management styles, agency does not care for well being of clients or staff

Good place to work, but many downsides

I enjoyed working at Empower Simcoe because of the supportive team environment and the ability to work with so many amazing clients. Pay is okay and benefits and good, but there are major downsides to working here. Management do not support staff with their needs and I feel as if supervisors/scheduling departments are given more responsibilities in this area. I felt like management viewed me as an employee number rather than a person. My mental health declined so much when working here that I had no choice to quit after a leave was denied. Looking back, I realize how great this job was because of the work and support we provide, however, I was under so much stress and suffering so much anxiety from the constant changing of rules/policies/schedules/responsibilities that I had to quit. I think many staff that have quit in the last year or so experienced the same thing. If Empower Simcoe wants to keep more staff, they need to commit to investing in their staff's mental and physical health. When I told my supervisor about my stress, anxiety, and issues, he simply referred me to the Employee assistance program and told me that he had stress too. Ironic how a company that supports so many in the community cannot even support its own staff. Think long and hard about whether you can work in an environment like this before applying! The job is amazing, but the stress was not worth it for me and so many others.

This company needs an overhaul of new management !

This company is going no where but down hill. This all starts with a CEO, that is more concerned with what looks good on paper than how her staff are coping! Constantly stating "we are a team" but anyone not management are treated with such disrespect. Covid has definitely shown the true colours of how bad this company is to work for. We have staff leaving left, right and centre. Losing 6 supervisors in 2 months proves it's not just non-management that have had enough of this company. People supported are the last thing they think about. The scheduling department are rude, disrespectful, and make up rules as they go. Covid policies are disrespectful, and come across as a punishment for those who choose not to or can not get the vaccine.They treat the 3rd party employees with more respect then their own employees.They ask their own employees to donate money for funding for repairs, new equipment etcWages are poorly set out, having staff doing the same duties making $2-7 difference in pay.Unless changes happen quickly, I would not suggest anyone work here.

Pros

Pension

Long stressful days

Management isn’t the best. The days are long and can be very stressful. Sometimes houses are understaffed. New Staff are not always fully trained in high behaviour houses some times they are just thrown into the houses with other staff who don’t know the house well

Pros

People supported

Window dressing

Very difficult work environment to feel fulfilled in. There is so little housing and very little push for reform on behalf of the agency. Placating the powers that be.

Toxic place to work

I can't give this a good review because I have nothing positive to say about the organization. If your young fresh out of college maybe this is a good start work lots, pay off those student debts, get some experience but there is no flexibility with the schedule even though they advertise flexible hours, getting time off is always a hassle! There's a block with 2 weeks around Christmas/New Years where NO union employee can book off they will schedule you where ever so be prepared no real holidays with your family! I've been a long term employee and have been in many different areas of the agency and through many revamps of the agency. They don't practice what they preach they only like what looks good on paper and not about the people supported at all. Your an employee number and that's it. They don't show appreciation for their staff even though they have all these committees to try and engage and make it more positive. They can't keep good staff. They hire an outside agency to cover shifts that are not qualified for the job. There's a lot of burn out and you see it in management and support staff. Unfortunately it's a very toxic work environment.

Pros

People supported, benefits, wages

Cons

Management, burn out, no appreciation

High stress - no appreciation

Staff feel under appreciated. Staff are over worked on all levels. Many employees in management have left over the last 6 months. Benefits are great - EAP is great. Very stressful environment. Very under staffed in all areas. Managers and up are no where to be seen ever.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Empower Simcoe. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement