Employment and Social Development Canada

Employment and Social Development Canada Employee Reviews

Canada42 reviews
Fantastic employees and management.
Great benefits, and place to grow within.

Good management team at this location :)

Good service training and encourage staff training for more education

Great job training programs available
Pros
Lots of employee engagement
Cons
No free parking, cubicle city type environment
Great benefits and great work/life balance. The work itself can be fairly boring as it is for a government and everything is very slow to happen. The bureaucracy of the job is annoying, but again to be expected. In my opinion there isn't enough challenge to the work itself.
The day goes quickly as long as there is enough work to do, which there is. There are always applicants for passports and the situations always differ from person to person.
Working for ESDC has been, and continues to be tremendously rewarding. The leadership is committed to developing talent and leveraging the expertise throughout the organization to create improved services for Canadians. Many do not realize the amount of work and moving players required to implement large-scale, service-impacting change for Canadians, but the Department does its due diligence in achieving these goals as effectively as possible. As a younger wave of management begins to step into key roles, the culture is also shifting. Overall, an excellent employer with an excellent leadership team that is appropriately described as world-class.
nice building to work at with modern computer equipment, facilities, close to parking shopping and eating establishments
training is a bit stressful if it's the first time you ever worked in such a profession.
Difficult to secure employment but many internal opportunities once an employee.
I have been a full time employee since hire and I've had 4 different job opportunities within my work years with them..
This is where dreams go to die (EI call centre). I have never a more toxic workplace in my life. You may have job security and benefits, but your mental health will decline
I love my job looking for additional employment in the Niagara Falls area or Toronto ,days nights available, weekends I work until 4pm on saterday an sunday until 6pm
Very good place to work, I would recommend this position to anyone, looking to support the Canadian public and those looking to enhance their working knowledge
The people here are very nice, work itself can be routine, but the best thing about internships is you can ask for more work and experiences in other fields. This could take some time though since there are many procedures that must be followed and approvals granted before you get access to other functions. Work process is a bit slow due to the redundancies and the aging employee population.
This is a stressful position that requires the memorization of lots of information about employment insurance. It also requires dealing with customers over the phone who are usually annoyed or agitated. However it pays well and coworkers are nice.
I worked in the call center and it was the worst experience of my career. I and other colleagues were bullied because we were not "Quebecois enough" for them. English was widely discouraged, even though it is a federal office where both languages should be accepted.
Management was not at all bilingual although it is a requirement.

Very dysfunctional, extremely counterproductive, no one really had a clue what their mandate was.

Complete disaster.
Worst department I have worked for.
Disorganised, management is very clique-ish and I witnessed and reported multiple bullying cases.
benefits
Cons
soul eating
great benefits, amazing opportunities, learning opportunities, understandable staff, friendly co-workers, need more locations, need more flexibility to telework.
There isn't a lot of work, sometimes there are days where you have absolutely nothing to do, however none of your co-workers/superiors have anything to offer either. People in my team were generally pessimistic.
The job is stressful because there is constant change and the information is complex and detailed. The job is rewarding if you like working with people and doing public service. There is less job security than in the past but management makes an excellent effort to protect contract employees. Salary and benefits are decent.
Pros
Variety of work.
Cons
Production expectations.
Competitive salary, great pension and benefits. Very supportive place to work with good work-life balance. Learned so much from colleagues and supervisors.
I worked as a COOP and casual employee while at school. The team and management were excellent to accommodate a changing schedule. I would recommend to anyone to work at ESDC.
I like the environment, from the people I work with to the people I assist.
- I learn something new everyday

- management is very helpful

- there's nothing I hate about this job
Pros
There's a gym in the building
Cons
Busy workload, good work/life balance. Employees receive paid vacation, other paid leave such as medical, family and personal. Employer has a pension plan and medical/dental benefits.
Reconnaissant effort personnel
Travail cordial et stimulant
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Employment and Social Development Canada. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3