Empire Life

Empire Life Employee Reviews

Canada32 reviews
From where I work...
Empire Life is a big company with many different parts. I work in tiny part of IT where we keep the servers chugging along 24/7 and we do all the in-house printing. Unfortunately I don’t know about the other bits, like how work is for the programmers or the CSRs or the accounting folks. Everyone seems to work hard and there is a good company culture. The benefits are not bad, with basic health care included and profit sharing
Used to be a great place to work.
Was a great place to work up until a few years ago when employee dedication and hard-work was no longer a factor in salary and advancement. Every year got worse.
Productive, Professional and Career Building Company
Empire helped me build me career, and gave me valuable work experience. Empire taught me how to work in a professional environment and build my character.
Great experience
Management was extremely supportive and training was very helpful.
The nature of the job was difficult and not made for everyone but if you are patient and handle stress well you can make it . I recommend this company to anyone looking for stability and a good work life balance .
Relaxed work
I was hired through Manpower and eventually got placed on contract with Empire Life. Great place to work with great incentives to work overtime. I would've stayed if we didnt move to Toronto.
Need more staff
It can be very stressful especially if you are bilingual. A lot to learn. I think the wages, paid sick time and vacation could be better. I like my job 60% of the time.
Don't waste your time and sanity
The job in itself is pretty simple and very doable. Doing my job and completing my tasks was actually the easy part of being in that office.
Your problem will be with management and their lack of logical reasoning and common sense. The supervisor is a complete idiot who has no clue about the products and procedures. There is favouritism in the Kingston office. And they expect you to be a yes man with no opinion of your own. There aren't many advancements opportunities as they are all given to the people in Kingston over the Montreal office.
Productive and Fun
ts very productive and fun workplace. i like environment its very positive motivating and fun. i like management there they are good people.I would love to see them growing. Its great place to work. I highly recommend working there.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Leading company in new technology and product delivery
An organization that strives for a customer-centric approach to its customers using the latest technologies as part of a digital transformation. It understands the importance of a digital business model and the role it plays in remaining competitive and profitable while ensuring customer support and services are the best they can be.
Pros
Learning organization and adoption of advanced technology
Cons
High standards and high expectation of work output
An old company striving for new modern advances into digital and cloud systems.
Relatively new management with an eye to the future of the company.

Good internal culture.
Stressful
Sitting down for long periods of time, stressful, no gratitude, not professional. High turnover in customer service, like a revolving door.
People working there are not complemented and supported by managers. Lack of support.
Pros
People
Cons
Stressful
A good place to work
Empire is a great Monday to Friday employer with good benefits and moderate salaries. They do encourage and pay for industry education. Many people spend a lot if not all of their working careers here.
Pros
Monday to Friday hours, benefits and pension.
Cons
Paid parking required
Great in some areas, not so much in others
Managers are great, helpful and want to see you succeed. But it's very clique atmosphere. You can go days without talking to anyone. Salary is horrible, very low to start.
Pros
Work life Balance
Cons
Starting Salary
I enjoyed my short time there.
Great place to work.
Management did not micro manage

Friendly co-workers

Head Office in nice location by the water.

The team I worked with was very self sufficient.
Pros
Onsite coffee shop
Cons
No parking on site
Canadian Centric Insurance Company
In business to service Canadians.
Each department head runs their shop differently.

Work culture is different in each location.

Most leadership is remote.
Pros
Organization is stable & ownership is engaged
Cons
Long work hours
Sinking Ship
I was recruited by a head hunter, and left a big bank to work for them, because the money was good. They lacked decent product offerings for the broker-dealer channel on wealth management. They did not provide training until a year after the job. Constant turnover. Biggest waste of my time.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list.
meh
growth and opportunity are available but the claims department was a very toxic environment, lots of cliques and unfairness, your not allowed to talk to anyone at all
Good Community Workplace
Excellent experience here. They treat their employees well and provide many perks for working here. The atmosphere is professional and they promote work/life balance.
Review for Empire Life
Good place to work. Fun work environment. Competitive wages and a pention. All Canadian holidays off and casual Friday is a bonus. Did I mention Canadian holidays off
Pros
Canadian Holidays off
professional work environment
As a customer service representative, I enjoyed helped people with everyday questions and provide prompt solutions to their needs. It was a very quick-paced environment, as we were short on personnel so it was a very big work load. But the pay was great and the benefits too.
benefits
Cons
short staffed
Great Learning Experience
I had a great time working for Empire life while I was still attending university. They allowed me to extend my summer position and work from home during the school year. I was given responsibility and was rewarded for my hard work. Management was very considerate and I learned a lot.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Empire Life. Our community is ready to answer.