Emily Carr University of Art and Design

Emily Carr University of Art and Design Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews
Wonderful students, interesting colleagues, terrible pay
I worked at Emily Carr as a Sessional Instructor for about 5 years, when they were situated on Granville Island. Students were some of the best I've ever had. Colleagues were supportive and often worked as collaborators. Facilities were a little old, but that's no doubt any longer the case since their move to Great Northern Way. The only downside was the salary. Sessional Instructors get no benefits and pay is the lowest of any school I've worked at in the area. That said, if you can get a full-time position there, it would probably be much better.
fun and creative environment to work in
i just loved working around the student and that energy. fast paced and high energy, good prep time between classes. good people to work with awesome food.
good place
Good place to work, new building is nicely built and conveniently located near downtown Vancouver. Would love to work here again in the future if given the oppertunity.
filling this out
great job, terrible everything else. once there was a chicken and that chicken laid and egg to make sure they had the appropriate word count to get past indeeds software.
Diverse and challenging work place
The people at ECU are very nice and accepting.
The company benefits are the best I've ever seen.

The job itself was very challenging and I learned a lot.

Many changes are happening at this time; the campus just moved from Granville Island to Great Northern Way.
Benefits
Cons
The uncertainty
Probably could be a good place to work, maybe.
Unfortunately I cannot find anything good to say about working here. I cannot be complimentary nor can I be objective without using an expletive.
I would not recommend anyone talented take on contract work as it will not benefit your career.
Pros
Union some people like that.
Cons
Union
Friendly environment and productive workplace
I work closely with client and provide professional services. Our mentor provide insight advices to help ups move along with the project and give clear directions.
Furniture Systems, Manufacturing, Buyer, Layout, Installation.
Excellent education in the field of design and exhibition curation. My team building experience involved working closely with students and educators in making an excellent educational platform for the community of Emil Carr and Vancouver BC.
Productive and friendly; process-oriented
The first thing I do is to check my clipboard for the day's list of activities, class and/or event including times, venue and the materials/equipment needed, and the desired/requested set-up. Then I collect everything on the list and deliver to each activity and complete the necessary set-ups. After which, I make a list of items delivered and indicate for pick-up. I do the pick-ups after each activity. Everything needs to be done in a timely manner. Everyday is not completely the same. I need to be ready for last minute changes/requests.

I have learned to prioritized depending on the scheduled time and importance of activity/event, I have done this a lot more effectively and efficiently.

The management and co-workers are friendly, supportive and a tight-knit. Because of their positive feedback and guidance, the work seems easier and less exhausting.

The hardest part of the job is when there are too many activities happening at once and I need ti finish all the set-ups and deliveries before they start. But I seem to finish everything before then and never once been late.

Apart from the positive environment, the best thing about this work is the continuous learning.
Pros
challenging, fun, never a dull day, respecting empoyer/colleagues, continuous learning
Cons
short hours
Work-Life Balance
Working at Emily Carr University of Art and Design gives you the perfect work-life balance that you need. Accompanied with good job experience and benefits, it will surely make your day to day life easier.
Productive and Friendly environment
Flexible hours, excellent work flow, always something to do.
Good environment
Good environment to work in. The staff is all very supportive and the day to day job is ever changing.
Extraordinary site to work at.
- Everyday is a different and enjoyable learning experience.
- Great team of co-workers

- Most enjoyable part of the job; interacting with the people.
Pros
working hours
Cons
Job is contract, not 'In House'
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Emily Carr University of Art and Design. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3