EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE INC

EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE INC Employee Reviews

Canada9 reviews
Low pay. For the stuff you gotta put up with on a daily shift.. Pay should be the same or more as other ems workers ! The company is money hungry. Once you leave the company wheather your fired or quit, they want nothing more to do with you. They are hiring too many inexperienced young people who thinks its a glory job. Dealing with people's lives and death is not easy.. The trauma catches up with you. 10, 15, 20 year veterans can tell you all about this company. I feel free now. You feel like your always under the microscope.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Low pay, bad company to work for
The company is always progressing but you need to speak up in formal and informal ways if you want to have input in the direction of that change. The relationship between management and field medics is very relaxed, which is nice, but you will need to push supervisors to get what you need. It is owned by an insurance company, always keep that in mind.
Pros
Great work, lots of autonomy
Cons
Management has higher expectations of staff than themselves
I have never before worked for a company as terrible as this one. If I could rate zero stars across all categories, I would.

We are all (way) overworked, (way) underpaid, and unsupported. All of this has led to increased workload on the paramedics who are actually willing to work (casuals are given free rein to manage their schedule (and rightly so), but as entitled individuals, they refuse to work nights, weekends, and holidays).

Management is an old boys club. Unless you are one of them or favoured by them, you will never advance here. They like who they like and make work difficult for those they don't. Both the company and the union are out to protect the company - neither will back you. Management handles complaints poorly and employs underhanded ways of dealing with "problem" medics.

Decision and policy makers (read: management) are either way out of touch (having been off the road for 5+ years) or have been assigned roles because they have been deemed unsuitable for actually working the job.

Day-to-day, most medics are willing to help each other out and do what needs to be done, but at the expense of shift overrun and forced overtime and at the cost of mental and physical health. I don't know one paramedic who dreamed of spending 12 hrs on offload delay in the hospital when they were in school. Morale has never been lower and patience has worn thin. Complaints are ignored and every day is a battle to just stay afloat (and FYI, we're drowning).

Take the advice from someone who has come from away - DO NOT COME AND WORK HERE. It's not worth it.
Pros
Cons
Terrible management, no support, underpaid, not appreciated
The healthcare system in Nova Scotia is falling apart. More and more paramedics are spending more of their time on offload delay at hospitals all across the province while EHS refuses to staff more ambulances to respond to the sick and injured.

The pay is inadequate as the government simply refuses to even consider Cost of Living as a basic increase to our salary. Employees have been without a contract since 2015, and morale amongst them are the worst. Our scope of practice continues to evolve, but with no changes to reflect these changes and skillsets, paramedics have compassion and employment fatigue.

Mental and physical injuries continue to rise, which is why they want you to work here. The company will do nothing for your wellbeing, and will continually get your hands rapped for wanting to take a day off after a bad call or injuring yourself. More and more employees are finding employment elsewhere because this job isn’t worth the disruption to personal and professional life anymore.

So ask yourself the same question that the recruiters from EHS will ask you - “Why would you want to work for an organization like EHS?”
Pros
People who share what you’ll be feeling in about a year
Cons
Shift overruns run high, no power stretchers to save your back, supervisors and management who won’t do a thing for you as you’re just a number and easily replaced, no end to the madness
Overworked. Understaffed. Underpaid.

Nova Scotia paramedics are among the lowest paid in Canada. Both management and the provincial government fight traditional collective bargaining and legislate a pay freeze. At least the benefit package for full time employees is decent.

Low pay has led to staffing issues and ambulances are constantly offline, leading to increased workload on the remaining units. Little to no downtime, breaks are often missed, and be prepared for lots of mandatory overtime due to late calls.

Job advancement? Forget it. Especially if you exercise independent thought over upper management “groupthink”.

Management is a mixed bag. Middle management is actually pretty good but upper echelon staff seem increasingly out of touch. Policy is decidedly “top-down” with little to no input from front-line staff.

Culture and morale can only be described as toxic. Being a paramedic should be rewarding and inspiring... Instead it feels like we are constantly battling everyone around us.
Pros
You do get to make a difference.
Cons
Overworked, underpaid, stressed out, unappreciated.
this Company is top heavy with management that is so far from the actual day to day work done by its field medics. They (medics) are treated poorly is an understatement. I have seen many of my good coworkers go through things at work and receive no help, and a lot of friends who the company is the sole cause of the problem. The union is weak and so overworked that the employees are often even without current working contracts that have been in bargainings for years. The pay is weak and there is little no room for advancement. Health and LT and STD are all mandatory pay deductions and very expensive. This company preaches mental heath and ptsd awareness with one hand and they discipline you for using your alotted sick time with the other. So many problems here I could go on forever.
Pros
I loved my job dearly
Cons
Management, denial of vacation, denial of banked funds, harrassment and multiple attempts at relating me against my will.
Emergency medical care is a "not for profit" subsidiary of blue cross, however make no mistake they are all about making money on the back of their overworked, overstressed and pushed to the breaking point employees.

I worked for the for almost seventeen years and it becomes a worse and worse work environment every year.
Pros
Cons
Overtime almost every shift, no meal breaks, no rest periods, no support from management
This is still a growing company. I believe they are honestly trying to weed out old school mentality and bring in new and fresh ideas to change the culture of COMPANY VS EMPLOYEES.

There's still a lot of work to be done but this is my first every career and I feel that I have been treated fairly over the 19 years of employment with them.
Abilities to advance from PCP to management. Have enjoyed the relationships and experiences both personal and educational. Enjoy my career incredibly, best job in the world.

Everyday is a great day , some are just better than others.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE INC?