Emera Inc. Employee Reviews

would recommend
Protection & Control Engineering Student (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 May 2019
an excellent place to start a career but the administration process is long. I had the opportunity to work at NSP as a co-op student. I gained valuable experience.
Amazing
Communications (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 March 2019
NS Power is an amazing company to work for. They value their employees, there is room for improvement and they offer job security. Management genuinely cares about you and your well being. Amazing work environment
call center
Customer Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 February 2019
Handle a large volume of inbound telephone calls, especially for taking orders and providing customer service. administer incoming product support or information enquiries from consumers. Individual communications, including letters, faxes, and e-mail.
Friendly productive workplace
Administrative and Procurement Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 January 2019
My usual day at work went by checking my emails, printing invoices, and putting the invoices into the software. I learned about the Jonas software for accounts payable and purchase orders. I learned how to manage heavy loads of work with my time management skills. All of the employees were friendly, welcoming, and helpful. The end of every month was very difficult. There was a great pressure to meet the deadline. I enjoyed the environmental safety meetings. They had quizzes and it was overall very fun.
Pros
Friendly staff, clean and tidy workplace
Cons
Small parking lot
Best job possible in Nova Scotia
Power Plant Technician (Former Employee) –  wreck16 January 2019
Excellent salary, safety mindset company. Lots of very knowledgeable tradesmen and great opportunity to grow. Enjoyed my time here very much, would love to work here as a fulltime technician.
Pros
Salary, very cool job, build knowledge
Cons
difficult to get a fulltime job for a young guy in the E&I field, labour pool very hard to get a hold of
Great oppertunities
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB17 December 2018
Emera Utility Services is part of the larger Emera group of companies. EUS is a great entry point to other affiliated companies. Many employees of EUS eventually move on to NS Power of Emera Energy.
Pros
oppertunities
Cons
dependant on extenal work to survive, unlike the regulated NS Power
Excellent company (no longer active)
Construction Engineering Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia9 December 2018
A company created for a transmission line project that now only has minimal staff for maintenance and close-out. Enjoyed working with all co-workers. The job was challenging and exciting.
Work term
Class Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lingan, NS1 December 2018
- Tool box / safety meetings, recording pressures, temperatures & vibrations.
- To always have your eye opened to prevent maintenance. keep your work place tide. Inspect task & identify problems.
- Friendly environment
- Nothing overwhelming hard. Just always being on the ball.
- Asking questions and learning the processes
Positive and fun loving environment
Accounts Payable representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS28 November 2018
We will have invoice ready which are suppose to be processed for that day, they are sorted and given to the processors. Management is very supportive and was encourage everyone giving their best.
supportive environment
Marketing & Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 November 2018
Recognize employees for the work they do. Corporate culture but still relaxed. Amazing building - lots of natural light. Innovative and encourages new ideas. Contract position.
Great place to work.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia9 September 2018
Great place to work. Great work life balance. However, hard to move up the ladder unless you have the right people above you. Politics are apparent however this expected in such a corporation.
Great support Staff
Senior Physical Asset Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB27 August 2018
Lots of opportunity for advancement with a great support staff to succeed at whatever your task is.
Always changing which brings a fast paced, decision based environment.
Pros
all the overtime you want :)
Cons
all the overtime you want :)
excellent company but hard to advance
other (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS3 August 2018
Work/life balance in my department was excellent, lots of flexibility around hours and we were trusted to get our work done - no micromanagement. I was well qualified to work several advancing roles but did not receive opportunity for interviews as a lot of working here and moving up is about who you know. Overall a great company with fantastic people.
Pros
Flexibility, coworkers
Cons
Mandatory overtime during outages
very friendly people
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 July 2018
Everyone is willing to help and answer questions. Very welcoming environment. Lots of fun activities like bbq parties, holiday activities, etc.. I learned a lot in my experience there.
Major disconnect between management and workers
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS8 July 2018
While my coworkers were friendly and knew how to do their jobs. Management is too focused on the bottom line. This leads to poor planning of projects like shutdowns and corner cutting.
They are also willing to break certain regulations by trying to do away with having hard copy MSDS sheets on site, despite being required by law!
Pros
Strong safety culture among workers
Cons
Too willing to cut back costs to below functional operations
great
Industrial Mechanic (Former Employee) –  New Waterford, NS15 June 2018
great company to work for chartered flight across canada the food on the plain was better then most of the campfood the camp ainitself was great huge gym basketball court movie theater i would deffinintiy work for them again
Welcoming and inclusive work place
Work Term Student (Former Employee) –  Point Aconi, NS3 June 2018
I had an excellent experience working at NSP for 5-weeks for my nscc course, made me realize how passionate about HR and how fulfilling this job can be
Lovely work place!
Co-op Finance Student (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 May 2018
So far this has been my favourite work experience -- all the employees are extremely friendly and welcoming and looking to make a friendship with everyone, even students which did not happen at any of my other co-ops! Extremely positive work environment focused on teamwork.
Education job placement
On the Job Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Lingan, NS7 May 2018
Completed two job placements with NSP and gained a great deal of knowledge shadowing Power Engineers. Employees were more than willing to answer questions and make the job placement enjoyable.
Pros
Lots of knowledge to gain.
Cons
Hard to gain employment
co op power engineer
Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Point Aconi, NS28 December 2017
good spot to work. was a very relaxed place with no pressure. management i guess is the same where ever you work. lots of down time and travel to other areas is required