EMCO Corporation

EMCO Corporation Employee Reviews

Quite demoralizing. Pay is low. They try to tell you it is because you will receive profit sharing. The manage decides this and if you are not liked you don't get. Depends on. Profitability of the business. If you get hurt, you are done. You can work hard every day but they show favoyr to those who do not.
Pros
Some free lunches
Cons
No overtime. Salaried.
You come in, grab some coffee, and be off on your shift. Taking and picking orders and driving forklifts most of the time. The management is pretty good. Co-workers are easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job is during winter when you have to go outside (but not all the time), drive a forklift, and pick-up some pipes. Overall the working environment is great, learned a lot especially on how to operate a forklift.
Pros
Free Gym, Free food once in a while on Fridays
Cons
Working outside during winter but not a big concern
Emco is a very discriminating company, if you are a person who is older have experience in the field you will not get look at. They only want young millennials with university diplomas. The company is made up 75% millennials the rest 25% are older people that have been with Emco for a long time and when the company down size there the first to be let go, its pretty sad a person who work there for along time they treat you like your nothing to them but some ID number not as person and this goes against their core values for what they sand by....their core values are just words to management so they look good, they don't care about you.......This company if there was award for bad management they would win top honors. The workload is insane it will stress you out because if you complain that you need help you will not get the help because management don't care and they have no idea how what it takes to your job, it's all about Gross Profit at Emco and they will treat you like just a another number.
Pros
Profit Sharing, Free lunches once a while.
EMCO/Westlund(Both) companies project Profit sharing incentives towards employees. During the Interview, they say no cap means you make an unlimited commission on your sales. Cunningly, they never define KPI's that define your profit sharing. They simply say "based on your performance".No matter how much you work, you are at the mercy of your profit center manager. He decides how much you make and how much he makes more or less. Obviously, they try to cut your profit as much as possible for their own greed. The biggest irony is you don't have any tools or means to fact check how much you earn. You can't complain about your manager to a higher authority and face him every day. Its a greedy culture. They are happy if you leave at the end of the year so they don't have to pay for your profit-sharing which is the reason for my review title. Work is universal in all the wholesale companies in Canada. So, I don't want to elaborate on that. At least 80% of Management is an old man's club. So they don't care about younger people. Most of them try to cash out before they retire. The odds of you ending up in this drama is very high. Same story with upper management. All they can do is write funny letters to employees as if they care. But it is a joke. Management have no clue on technology/trends.They live in their own deep well. they should DEFINE how PROFIT SHARING is distributed to protect the low-level employees. I am one of the best and if I have an opinion, you must consider this. If you have 10 options, EMCO or Westlund is your 11 option.
Pros
Chance to help awesome customers
Cons
Unpaid Hours, Fraud Profit Sharing, Toxic People, False Promises
I was with Emco at their head office in London, ON for roughly 5 years and my opinion on the company is really mixed. For one, they are a huge company with some really really good people and lots of opportunities to travel and relocate if that's what you're looking for. They also distribute a wide range of products and have suppliers worldwide. I did learn a lot working there. On the other hand their hiring process is a joke - it takes months to get anyone hired there which can a) discourage qualified candidates from working there and b) leave current staff stressed from overwork because it takes so long to hire people. The other thing is the salary. I've found they would often pay a lower base salary and justify it by saying you get profit sharing - which is underwhelming to say the least.. even if you are considered a high performer. There also is very little opportunity for vertical advancement which is ultimately why I no longer work there. I would suggest if you are hired, get in and get your experience, but don't spend a lifetime working there.
Pros
Good people, flexible hours
Cons
Low salary justified by profit sharing, lack of advancement opportunities
Pay is among the lowest in the industry and they're proud of it. Anyone who cares about advancement of their career or has pride in doing a good job should look elsewhere. Management thinks it's as easy as working a donut shop, your pay reflects that. Go get a job at McDonald's, you'll make the same money and you'll be less stressed doing it.
Pros
Off at 5
Cons
Pay, possibility for advancement, help, stress level, etc
a typical day at EMCO is fast paced, but collaborative. i learned about many different companies and contractors. the manager is very nice and understanding, the hardest part of the job was standing. the most enjoyable part of my job was lunchtime.
Pros
the customers are very helpful
Cons
customers are also very demanding
Management was lacking. Salary was mediocre. The manager no longer showed interest in the subject matter. Management was also very self centered and didnt really care about employees.
I can not speak to other locations but I was employed out of the Kitchener branch located near Strasburg. This was by far, the worst employer that I have ever worked for. No organization, management was completely unprofessional and immature. They over looked health and safety standards even going so far as to ask me to transport 21' 6" black pipe from London with no straps and had me deliver it sticking out of the back of a 19' rental truck. For pipe deliveries they had an old F-150 with a roof rack for black pipe to customers and constantly overloaded it. Lots of unsafe work and improper workplace safety. I enjoyed the attitude of other co-workers but management definitely was not constructive. I was told when hired that I would receive a raise up to $18 but it was never given. I would not recommend this employer.
Manager has a real problem separating his own personal and religious beliefs from his business dealings and day to day work. If your beliefs and morals don't line up, watch yourself. Has a great "public face" but behind doors is a very, very different person
It involves interacting and engaging with plumbers, designers and trades people. Creating spec home design books, meeting budges, guaranteeing peoples kitchens and bathrooms are at full expectation, and being able to use your creativity to abstract and present designs to them. It involves a lot of purchasing, a lot of quotes written up, answering emails, taking payments, and custom ordering specialty product. Following up with orders, and monitoring they are coming on time. Setting up house appointments for consultations.
a typical day of work would start me off stalking shelves in the morning, then I`d be receiving Large orders and assisting with deliveries for the rest of the day. I learned - how to properly receive large orders - how to read sku tags - the use of many parts distributed by EMCO (I.E. ABS/PVC pipes, rubber gaskets etc...) I feel as though management was great, very kind, collaborative and comedic, and this boosted the atmosphere in the work space. The hardest part of the job was charting sku tags, id get numbers mixed up, it would take long because i had to look at each letter and number twice. But the most enjoyable mart about the job was going out on deliveries, seeing the businesses that rely on the supplies EMCO offers is very interesting.
Most of the staff are un professional, verbally poor they don't know how to speak kindly and in a nice way. Managers are un professional all over the place.. this place is a zoo
Pros
Cons
Every thing possible you can think of from employee treatment to professional work all poor
Négative environment Poor Management Poor communication Toilets are not clean at all No team work Lot of gossip in No team meetings only ops managers No motivation
I would have to state that after seeing how toxic the culture is at EMCO that it is best not to put yourself through the "profit sharing " carrot as it is not worth losing out on a great salary somewhere else.
In the end, it was one giant popularity contest. Bonus system was not based on metrics and management could just make up something on the spot. Too much focus on a single KPI without looking at the whole picture.
Tres belle ambiance de travailbcp de solidarité bcp de respect pour les employés belle collaboration entre,employers
Its a good place to work but they could do better on salaries. The benefit packages are good, lots of options you can have. You can advance in the company if you are in the right dept
The atmosphere at Emco is one of disorganized chaos. I knew my duties and fulfilled them with little to no supervision and also was available to other parties who required my help. I drove forklift stand up and sit down . Offloaded orders and loaded orders in shipping receiving as well. Every year I worked overtime for inventory days and also built shelves and also picked orders and clean the yard up
Leadership building is the main goal for EMCO. If anyone has anything bad to say about this company, they did not have the ambition or the work ethic to make it work.
Great management, most co-workers were easy to get along and work with. As with anywhere there are always a few that challenge that no matter how well a company is manage. Fairly compensated for the work, with profit sharing, and very good Benicia including RSVP matching Lots of room to advance. Although, job security could be better, as some areas of the operations revolve on building trades , if there is a downturn in the economy, there are lay offs.
Pros
Great People and Culture
Cons
Job stability in recession times
  1. Employee reviews