Elora Mill Hotel & Spa

Elora Mill Hotel & Spa Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
This restaurant was by far the best place I worked at. On both the restaurant and the granary most of the chef cared about there cooks. Like even the general manger was a great guy. I will always recommend someone going here you will learn a lot and also be respected.
Pros
Learn a lot. Great attmosphere. Great management, great pay, Overall its amazing
Cons
Some stress cause everything has to be 100%
Terrible place to work, i was there all of 2 weeks before saying something and got let go for saying so. I was basically running around like a chicken with no head. Every time I’d ask a question and get yipped at or get the impression like I shouldn’t be asking. Not to mention 12 hour shifts and breaks every 5 hours if not more.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Everything else
The job is really really good experience. There are a lot of awesome people you’ll be working with.
Only downside is sometimes people put a lot of pressure on you to get everything done, even if you’re visibly working As hard as you can. And it can get SO stressful, like run out in the middle of the shift stressful!

The managers are awesome, even the few who aren’t AMAZING are still super knowledgeable and experienced and will help you in rough spots
Pros
Really good experience tips are really good
Cons
Stressful environment rich snobs
It started off great. Then people started leaving. Sous chef got yelled at daily. He quit. Coworker and I told we were replaceable. Coworker quit. New chef came in for banquets. Was ok for a while. Eventually got to the point where all he did each and every day was yell at everyone. My last month and a bit there, I dreaded each and every shift I had there. Eventually couldnt take it anymore. Management doesnt care about anyone
The place is beautiful.
Staff and management want to advance ideas and create change, and some staff have been there since reopening and are more comfortable with how things already are.

Pretty typical environment for hospitality.

Many people care about each other.
A very tight knit group. Everyone really cares about each other. We’re all a team as we refer to it one team one dream.
It’s also challenging, the job requires some work and studying but it pays off.

Staff provided meals are okay, but they are provided which is nice.

Management is great. They take some time to get to know you but once they do they are amazing.
I worked as an event server & bartender at the Elora Mill this summer as I was home from university. The job culture and environment is awesome. Working in hospitality, long hours are expected, but the events team at the mill make these long hours fly by. The people are really what make this job. The events manager is understanding, supportive and an all around amazing boss. He works alongside the events crew and understands the ins and outs of the industry like the back of his hand. The head maitre D' is equally as great and the two of them have made this summer of work fun and rewarding. The entire events staff is hardworking, driven and committed to providing excellent service. I have made great friends at the Elora Mill and will treasure my time there forever. I hope to come back and work here again next summer. Highly recommend if you are a student looking for a good serving job. I look forward to seeing the doors that will open for me after working for the Elora Mill and for Pearle Hospitality.
Pros
Excellent staff meal, the best people, a fun work environment, flexible shifts
Cons
I was emailed by a manager who requested an interview with me the same day I applied (also the same day they posted the ad) I emailed back right away & was never responded too.. So, I gave the benefit of the doubt assuming my email could have went into junk mail and called, where again I was never followed up with. If the job had been filled or whatever had happened, that's understandable BUT it is common courtesy to send a simple email so the person isn't continuously trying to contact you and waiting for your reply
Cons
Rude Management.
The job started out good and I was getting the hours they promised, but after two weeks they started to cut hours to the point where you were only working 8 hours a week when you were full time. They started making up excuses to let people go because they blew the budget and started taking it out on people. Management constantly harassed the other employees and if there was a problem it was the employees fault. The last point that needs to be addressed is that the place is falling apart and they have no health inspections. Overall nice coworkers, but management will make you hate the place and they will promise you things and never deliver.
Pros
Nice Coworkers
Cons
Lied about hours, constant harassment from management, toxic environment
I have worked in the service industry most of my life. I cannot believe how poorly upper management with little to no experience in there role, are trying to run a beautiful Hotel. I can see it being run into the ground if they keep on going the way they are! There has been a high turnover rate of staff. A lot of really great people have passed through there doors. Unfortunately they where not recognized for there talent. Never given an opportunity to show there skills, it seems the Elora Mill really don't care about there staff. They said you would make really great tips there, but you don't.
Save your talent, skills and sanity!!! Look elsewhere. They don't care about you, don't recognize your great work ethics.
Horrible place to work! Don’t expect what they promise. They will make up anything to get rid of you. The owners are oblivious to what their managers are up to.
In every new business there are kinks to work out, but I have seen a lot of growth over the last year. One thing is for sure, the guests love it here! The employees are exceptional!
Pros
Lunches, great co workers
Cons
Can be exhausting at times and stressful.
I worked full time hours and got paid pretty well, however in the short time I worked there, we went through 3 managers and not in a good way. Management was horrible and after receiving my T4, they did not include any of the payments made to me by cash or cheque when they first started, even though they still deducted taxes.
Pros
Free Lunches (sometimes)
Cons
Poor management and treated like a number not a person
Not a friendly work environment. Very cut throat and not supportive. Was promised many things since training and nothing ever happened. Doesn’t care about their employees. Just the bottom line.
Pros
%50 off
Cons
Long hours, cruel work environment, tiny breaks, don’t care about laybor laws
The events "grannary" side of the Elora Mill is an excellent place to work. Professional, present, and extremely personable management and amazing co-workers help make it feel like a true work family. Would recommend FOH here to anyone with hospitality experience, or someone looking for their first serving job.
Pros
Staff Meal, Management, Clientele
the grounds are stunning to work around, the environment is generally a very friendly one. Upper management can be challenging to get a hold of but overall understanding when reached.
Pros
gourmet lunches provided for every 8 hour shift
Cons
chaotic, construction filled work place.
I found that I learned a great deal about the food service industry while working under two head chefs and a sous chef; in addition I learned to accomplish a lot in short order.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
hot in summer, very cold in winter