ELMWOOD SPA Employee Reviews

No, just no
Registered Massage Therapist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2018
At most, I felt like a robot, or a turnspit dog; expected to work endlessly with breaks that may change in the time scheduled or amount. In the time I was here, with many employees I've surveyed, majority are not happy working here. The only happiness comes from interacting with good clients, other staff and knowing we have benefits... Which I was told to be given after 3 months but instead, turns out to be 6 but an additional 1 or 2 months to process. There are 5 floors, 3 of which RMTs take the stairs or an outdatedly slow single elevator which sometimes is used by guests, to reach our assigned room to provide service. 10mins to clean the table, toss dirty linens rush to the next room, prepare towels in the heated cubby as per protocol and possibly enter treatment notes. Eventually, this gets easy and you can do all that quick but not when one has a service to do in the 4th floor and next one in the basement level. Approval of vacations by management takes anywhere between 1 week to 1 month or more. The pay is low and starting wage offered changes often. When I was hired, they said 28 per hour. A few months later, the new hires get 30, new grad or not. This is simply unfair, especially for those who have worked for several years there. All but 1 table is hydraulic and some are absurdly squeaky. 3rd floor rooms and sometimes 4th are shared with Aestheticians. Most rooms are not spacious; walls or sink counters are 2-4 feet from the massage table. For 1 year, of all the songs here, I only liked 2. Everything else is not considered relaxing at all, let alone spa music. I hear  more... monkeys in some songs, people whispering in another language, didgeridoo instrument, a cry from a baby, eerie music that can be used in horror films, up beat music and deep breathed snoring. What am I suppose to feel, as a client hearing monkeys conversing? Handling the interface for the music system in the rooms is a puzzle itself. It seems like each room has their own playlist of music. The building is historical. That's cool, but that's history. Inside doesn't have much of a spa atmosphere at all. No major changes are made for staff despite many complaints.  less
Pros
Taxes done for you, steady pace of clients, benefits, most of the staff are friendly
Cons
Lunch break is may or may not be a full hour, running between floors, unfair higher starting wages for newly hired RMTs
Guest Services
Elmwood Spa - Guest Services (Former Employee) –  18 Elm Street18 July 2018
In the guest services department team is great. They work with you for days off and to help you learn and grow. Everyone gets along and likes each others company outside of work. Company also does cool things like a staff BBQ, pot luck and ice cream day. Would advise company to provide stools.
Pros
great discounts and Bangkok Garden
Cons
the job requires standing for long periods of time
Not the best place of work
Guest Service Representative / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2018
Just try to find some other reception job. There are so many out there if you just look. I wouldn't really recommend working here but it wasn't the absolute worst job I have ever had.
This company is NOT worth your time!
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2017
The mangement is absolutely atrocious. When you are hired they will really talk up what their company has to offer, but do not let them fool you.
If you like working long hours, being under appreciated, and being severely under paid no matter which department you work for, then this is definitely the job for you.
Often times management were unable to deal with situations pertaining to guests and employees professionally. They panic under pressure, are condescending , and have negative and non helpful attitudes.

This company is a revolving door of employees.
Please don't be fooled by whomever lied and wrote positive reviews about this company. Save your time and invest it somewhere better!!
Cons
Management, Salary
So much better out there...
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2017
Management is a joke. When you are getting yelled at by a guest and its out of your control you call for the manager to come and assist you. They try to talk their way out of coming up when you call for help and get very mad when they do have to come. However when they do come they come so long after that the guests are to the point of wanting full refunds and more or they have already left. They sit in the office staring at the cameras and will call you for anything they see you doing.
Hit and Miss
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 July 2017
PROS:
- Majority of your co workers are nice. Some are even exceptionally helpful when you show them you are willing to help them out too
- Gratuities from greatful guests and registered group bookings
- Some of the supervisors and senior co workers are considerate and gives you a positive feedback for a job well done
- Other employee spa perks and benefits

CONS:
- Long busy hours
- Front end management allowing entitled guests to get away with abusing customer perks when there are other customers who follow policies and deserves a better treatment. This causes a lot of stress and chaos for employees since spa promotions and policies are being bent for undeserving guests.
- A few rude and inconsiderate employees that drags a tiring day or expects you to act like their secretaries by hogging your computer so they can get their desired service room or service schedule.
- Salary increase during the job offer turns out to be a false promise despite working beyond what is expected, so imagine how much is your take home pay after tax and employee benefits deduction.
- Lack of recognition to deserving people, and job promotions were given to less deserving employees due to politics.
Great customer service with excellent quality product.
Aesthetician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 July 2017
Excellent environment at workplace. The customer service was great.
Most of the staff members were friendly, helpful and cheerful. Service as such was very nice. They used quality product.
Pros
Lunch hour is comfortable
Cons
Not specific
Good coworkers, management is debatable
Food and Beverage Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2017
The staff at Elmwood are fun and friendly, easy to get along with. The management, while friendly, feels as if they put on a false front when speaking to you. The work is easy, but is also severely understaffed, leading to little compromise from the management when working a second job or going to school.
Nice place to work
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 April 2017
Elmwood is a nice place to work. Fun coworkers and a great Team! Occasional training is provided. It is a department that is always busy which I find is a good thing!!
Pros
Benefits and In Spa Discounts
Cons
Growth is Limited
Great Company
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 March 2017
I have worked for Elmwood Spa for 6 years. A typical day would be opening the restaurant, motivating staff, dealing with customer complaints and making sure everyone is on the same page with upcoming events and policies. In addition to management I also serve and bartend which means I get to work along side the staff to know exactly what we need to improve so that our company continues to achieve greatness. This company taught me how to prep, serve, bartend, hostess, manage, and many administrative skills that I apply to my every day life. We are a family and are always there to support each other in our work life and personal life with the upmost respect. The hardest part of the job is finding the appropriate ways to insure our guest satisfaction when things don't go smoothly. The advantage to this is the amount of support we get from our team. The most enjoyable part is being able to work with a group of people who are truly your friends and being able to grow and learn within the company.
Pros
benefits for full time employees
Cons
semi flexiable

Want to know more about ELMWOOD SPA?

Ask a question
RMT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2017
I am with the Elmwood for more than 14 years, is a great culture for working. My co workers are like my family. Your are schedule to work, so in my regular shift i am book fully, which is good so you will not be send home or optimize at the end of your day of work.
Great benefits and a lot training that are recognize by the CMTO meaning free CEUs.
I love my work and the place that i am.
Pros
free trainnig
Great Company
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2017
I am not sure what that other person was complaining about. I think the company is great. You can talk to anyone. Everyone has an open door policy and they take the time to talk to you and say hi. Ask about your personal life and your work life. The pay is fine. It's comparable to what's out there. They just increased the RMT pay which is long overdue. You couldn't ask for anything more-great people, fun environment, enjoy coming to work and great company perks.
Pros
great people, company, fun environment, perks #1
Cons
always busy but good
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 February 2017
Elmwood Spa is a great place to work. They are really like a family there that's why there staff have been there for so long. Everyone knows one another and gets along. It's not always perfect but I don't think that any job is.
Try working there, I am sure you will love it.
It is fun being there
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2016
The night duties are fun and the people are fun to work with. It is too busy that you could not feel how the time flies. The salary is above minimum and regulars have a great benefits
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
It tend to get very busy that could be so tiring
Terrible company. Proceed with caution.
Corporate (Former Employee) –  Head Office23 October 2015
With horrible management, biased and dismissive HR, and a terribly negative work environment, I was completely disappointed in my experience at Elmwood Spa. Carefully note that they provide incentives for current employees/friends, to post positive reviews on such sites to skew results.
Pros
Spa perks
Cons
Management, Hr, Culture
fun working with team
Spa Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 August 2015
Got a good schedule at work, learned to deal with clients, giving them an excellent service, working as a team, management more on favoritism, they don't acknowledge good performance, no promotions and salary increase, good relationships with co-workers. im a kind of person who believes labor is honor, ordinary to have a hard times from job sometimes, the most enjoyable part in a job, when the task well done and had a very good output, co-worker were all friendly even came from a different culture.
benefits
Cons
no promotions and increase
the worst place I've worked at - VERY sketchy place!
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto30 April 2015
So they first off give you a gift and say all this stuff that you get working there which is all a lie.

Pay is so bad, unless you're okay with minimum wage for standing for 8-10 hours and get yelled at for leaving your post or sitting... don't even think about snacking either.

They say they will take care of you but it's all a joke because they don't care about you. The management was horrible, doing nothing for their staff from all their hard work while they are taking the easter weekend off to be with their family while you have to work with strep throat.

Oh and the best was how you are told how whomever is working when their are groups of 10 or more, than we get 15% gratuities from them and being there for 3 months with plenty of groups... no gratuities because they didn't sign a contract for it. So finding out i had worked really hard and brutal days with 2 groups of 10+ plus about ten smaller groups of 3-4 and still just getting minimum wage.

Scheduling is also a joke . If you're a girl, say hello to having long brutal hours while guys have a great schedule. Favoritism is also in there.

And if you enjoy negativity and pushing people to buy products for commission, enjoy!

I'm one of the many who quit the past month so Red Flag people, employees are not happy!
Pros
some cool co-workers
Cons
bad pay, no advancement, horrible management, everything!
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 May 2014
Dealing with complains was the hardest part of this job.
What I learned from this job was how to react in different situation at work,specially when I was under high volume of pressure.
The most enjoyable part of this job was, when we could reached our target for daily sales.
Pros
Free Massages
Cons
Long Hours
I enjoy working at the spa
Juice Bar Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 March 2014
Elm wood spa was very relaxing and enjoyable to work the staff was great and also my boss
Great Place to work, many opportunities to learn.
Senior Manager, Spa Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 March 2014
I very much enjoyed my time working at Elmwood Spa. My co-workers were amazing and enjoyed my interactions with them at work and on my own personal time.
benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ELMWOOD SPA. Our community is ready to answer.

ELMWOOD SPA Reviews by Location