EllisDon Corporation

EllisDon Corporation Employee Reviews

Ellisdon was a wonderful company to work for in the Calgary area. I recommend highly. My manager was supportive and the site teams were honestly really good individuals to work with. I would happily take a position with ED again!
Pros
Great people and benefits
Cons
Challenging projects
I have really enjoyed working with this company. Both management and staff are pleasant and make it easy to work and learn. I love working here.......
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Nil
Anybody I knew who had started within 5 years in management was laid off for older guys or family members of the company only for a bunch of them to end up retiring in a couple years
I was a contracted Safety Advisor for a term project. At no time was any information, orientation or expectations given or communicated to me. I was an outsider on the project and treated as such although we shared a construction trailer. After hiring I never saw or heard from the person that hired me (division head). Without any feedback I was let go. A tough organization to understand.
Workaholism: Celebrated. Sticking up for your own work/life balance even though it is in the orientation was frowned upon and openly discouraged. Salary: Averaged out over all the weekend, evening and 4:30 pm Friday RUSH emails: it is average or below. Job Security: None. Constantly micromanaged by 'blue bloods,' "shareholders!" long-time, tenured employees, familial nepotism, bully-ish, chauvinisitic leadership, lack of leadership completely, lack of training, back stabbing. Management: None. Everyone was feast or famine and it was palpable. "Edge Aheads" or employee performance reviews were exercises in creative writing that no one cared about but they got sent back and forth, back and forth, back and forth to exercise some kind of hamster wheel of evidence but no accountability. Not a single leader of mine EVER followed up with my goals. NONE. EVER. And yet- we got threatening emails from HR (People and Culture). Job Culture: The type of place where you should save every email just in case you're called to the pulpit for "restructuring" or an intervention regarding your 'EllisDon Values.'
Pros
You can negotiate almost anything if you have the skills.
Cons
Workaholism, nepotism, toxic culture, lack of work life balance, back stabbing, gossip & double standards.
I have had several career changes during my time in the industry. I have worked for top companies in the Ottawa area for all of this time. EllisDon is an excellent place to work and definitely ranks at the top for construction companies. You need to understand that your performance must be a definite contributing factor to the success of the company. Do not slack off, but that is the same every where you work.
Pros
Support is available for whatever you do.
Cons
Sometimes, irregular work hours are required, but that is part of the game
A good place to work for a "corporation". A number of very talented staff who are truly professionals. Many internal company policies. Lots of training available.
Great job that I been at so far possibly willing to go back. Everything was good till covid change things but never had an issue will recommend to anyone else to work their.
Underbid the job. Almost zero resources to work with. Poor planning for schedule along with man power allocation. Management unable or not willing to listen.
The foreman's yelled and belittle the labours on there sites. The Labourers were to did not say anything because if they did they would be fired. Not a good place to work for some labourers.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at EllisDon Corporation?
Good place to work in general if you're able to handle the stress of high pace construction. Pay was good, yearly bonuses for salary staff were modest but reasonable.
No assistance they preach safety but don’t supply the equipment to work safely No communication under qualified people in roles they have no buisness bieng in I’m leaving this job because I worry about the shortcuts causeing someone there life and I will not be held responsible for there corner cutting ethics when it causes some one to loose there life
During my team at EllisDon, it was honestly the best 4 years. Coming in as a co-op than coming back as contract in which transitioned to full time. I've learned so much during my time there starting from learning the basics such as Active Directory, using the ticketing system. From there i've learning more on my path as to dealing with hardware issues (Windows machines & Macs), making documentation for the user experience, work with multiple vendors on getting hardware items for the company, being cost efficient during the whole process, working on asset management, change management and much more i can go on about. A typical day for me during my time was me coming into the office, settling in and getting ready to help the users with our full 100% support. When working with a construction company, they usually get a lot of new projects in which builds up to being busy. Within Ellisdon, that was a good thing because that means vendors rely on us on what needs to get completed. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with the day to day tasks as to a point it would get so busy we would feel that we would have to multi-task on alot of projects to help support the business. Whenever EllisDon hires more people, that means more of a workload for user to make sure we provide the best user experience. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my fellow teammates/colleagues as we all try to help each other out as much as possible. Also, we always learn from one another so that we can use that knowledge for future projects etc. Along with that, i enjoyed - more...
Ellis Don is the good company to work and they have lots of work in Canada. EllisDon using best project management system to control their construction projects.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
lots of employees, so its hard to convey our message to higher managements.
Ellis Don has great workers and management that make it easy to feel comfortable in your work environment. As a construction job there are stressful days but most people are easy-going and relaxed so long as you get your work done and can adapt to an ever-changing environment.
Pros
Scheduled breaks, Team environment, regular hours, great pay rates
Cons
daily duties are constantly changing as things change or go wrong
EllisDon is a great company to work with. Great company benefit include company shares,profit sharing and dividends. 3-5 week paid vacation. The salary is fair enough.
good crew but would be nice to have a better option to do shift work they had busing to location but would of been nice to have more pick up locations
Excellent work place, collaborative, coaching and mentor ship available. Respectful environment, support for all employees, entrepreneur available. Good place to work
I really enjoyed spending the summer as a Project- Coordinator for EllisDon. The company gives a great deal of responsibility in their summer students and ensures you make the most of your placement.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the work environment in the early morning. The work is hot with the sun beating down on you. so be sure to bring lots of water.
always celebrating public and special occasions, inviting all employee Remote projects celebrate at location with project team . For example going to a restaurant near by
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
each has the time off assigned to his/her