EllisDon Corporation Employee Reviews

Innovative
SVP and Chief Information Officer - Global A/E/C (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 October 2018
Terrific place to work. outstanding leadership starting with the CEO - Geoff Smith. Salaries are outstanding along with the generous benefits. Workplace safety is always # 1.
ROWE principles are key. Self managed workplace.
Cons
Great place to work, very productive
Field Engineer / Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 September 2018
Great pay

Great benefits

Always busy at work

Always has a chance to go up in the company with a promotion

Paid Lunches

Paid to travel where the company goes
Lunches were brought in frequently.
Office Manger/ Accounting (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK19 April 2018
I enjoyed working for EllisDon the work was interesting and I got communicate with a lot of different employees and clients. I did make some friends that I still in contract with.
Pros
I was in charged of the office activities and fundraisers and we had fun.
Cons
I have no cons only that the job would of lasted longer.
good place to work
Services (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 June 2018
good place to work, people are friendly, good CEO. Opportunity to work on large projects. Good benefits and salary. low employee turnover, opportunities to move forward.
Core values
QA/QC Manager, Civil Division (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 May 2018
EllisDon core values are real.
CEO is great and Top Management is truly amazing.

A lot of freedom and collaboration. A lot of honesty and mutual accountability. Teams becomes family and everyone helps.
Pros
Great benefits in general
Cons
NONE so far...
Male dominated; in need of better work-life balance
Business Development (Former Employee) –  Ontario2 April 2018
This company is behind in work-life balance practices. Although they keep taking steps to get better at it, like all construction companies, they have a long way to go. The word “agile” doesn’t exist in their vocabulary. Unless you are dying, you are expected to show up. Do not be late even by a second, and be prepared to stay late - expect to put in 80+hours a week more often than not.
Pros
If you are just starting your career, are male and have an engineering background, probably a good place to start. Recommend you get out after 2-3 years.
Cons
Long hours, poor management, lack of empathy.
Great
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Calgary25 April 2018
Great place to work great people fantastic benifits lots of things to learn and to be trained on great hours great pay just have no work right now super are awesoume to deal with safety is top of the list for them
Pros
Great people
Cons
Not enogh work
Good Start in your career. More for a seasoned (5-10 plus) professional.
ESTIMATOR (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC18 October 2017
Pros:
If learning is your primary focus, EllisDon is where you want to be. The learning is every hour of every day. Overall, EllisDon BC branch was an very good place to work. The people and projects worked on and pursued were second to none. It's a collaborative and flatarchy corporate structure where everyone can talk to anyone if it's conducive to procuring a project.

Cons:
The pay. It's low to start and can extend for a while even if you have proved yourself and experienced moderate success. The management in place keeps wages low in order to finance project pursuits and keep their bonuses high. I can't completely blame them for doing that since I can't say 100% that I wouldn't do the same thing. However, considering the point in time I'm at in life and the production I gave, pay did not match performance. I'm afraid it's a recurring theme there.

Other than that, it was good.
Pros
Benefits and Coworkers
Cons
Low pay
Toxic environment and high turnover in employees
No available (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON1 August 2018
Every department in this company runs the way they feel. There is no consistency, lot of micromanagement and managing director of facilities is unpleasant to deal with. There’s no balance between work and life, they expect you to be on call 24/7. Pay is low for what their expectations are. May be a good starting point for young individuals but not recommended for long-term employment. People like to gossip about other employees and if you don’t join the club you will be out.
Pros
Ceo
Energetic company/ Fun environment
Safety Officer NCSO, Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 January 2018
During my time at EllisDon I had the opportunidy to excel my skills and expertise in the safety industry.
I was safety operator for this multicultural company, I was able to speak all my three languages and assist other contarctor as a translator.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Contractor / Security
Mix with the Blender
QAQC (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 December 2018
Be really good at the politics, its not enough to be smart, its not enough to be hard working. Putting in your dues dont mean anything. Am very proud to see blue signs.
Pros
Good shares
Cons
politics to the extreme
Very friendly people
Junior Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC28 November 2018
All team members and managers are very friendly and always provide assistance when needed. Very good culture and easy going work environment. Deadlines are expected to be met
hi
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 December 2018
My first start in the construction business and a top notch company that treated you fair and honest with amazing oppurtinites and devolepment to grow
Worse Job Experience in my Career-Head Office in London ON
Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 June 2018
Hired for the Payroll Dept.
Unwilling to be friendly and train in a proper fashion to learn the job quickly and be part of a team.
Shallow , immature girls working in this dept that do not like new employee's coming in that have a strong payroll knowledge.
Ignored at a retirement party by this dept. Worked there 5 days only before quitting ..yes that is how bad it was!!
Beware!
Cons
Good place to work, good benefits, good salary
General Labourer/ Carpenter/ Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 December 2012
A typical day working with Ellis Don was always a different story, you work hard for your money someday an others your walking around with a broom for 8 hours. Either way it was exciting. I learned alot during my time period with Ellis Don, they were able to get me certified on various types on machinery, but the hardest part of the job was working out in the -40 degree weather. Overall a good company to work for good benefits, good wages, an good co-workers to work with.
Pros
monthly prizes, good benefits, good wages, good people to work with
Cons
long hours, cold winter nights, rainy days, snowy days
Everything goes slow
Minion (Former Employee) –  Canada1 March 2014
Great company but too much time is spent on ridiculous tasks that have nothing to do with constructing the project.

If you have come from a smaller firm to join EllisDon be prepared to get extremely frustrated with how long it takes to get normal things in place to actually start building.

You will lose two or three months at the beginning of a project only to work like a dog the last three months making up time that was wasted at the beginning

It's hard to believe they make money. They have so many employees who really don't do anything but spend the day pretending they are necessary. Nice people though.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Incompetent (but nice) management
Amazing
Contract - Project Administrator/Legal admin (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL5 June 2018
Have loved every minute working for this company and the people I work with! I have worked with them for a number of years and they are still keeping me employed even though the office closed as they find me valuable and what I have to offer also valuable. I'm really treated very well.
Pros
Great People
Cons
No office in my region anymore
Very hard to get ahead in any position
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 May 2016
Very poor management of time and people. They treat you like gold but the backstabbing that goes on is ridiculous.
It's a big boys club and if you don't belong you won't work here long.

Money was low and the benifits ok but there are better jobs. I found one only after a week when they laid me off for no reason. Double the money and better work environment. Still here today and I love it.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Over worked and under paid
Great company
Zoom Boom and Bobcat Operator general labourer. (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 June 2018
Every day was a new line of work.Worked with many trades and got to perform many different jobs.Had a great supervisor.Working around the public was alot of fun.
Pros
Great job.
Cons
Contract work.
Poor Management-Keep hiring and then giving lay-offs
QC Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  VivaNext17 October 2013
Very Very poor management.I was hired as permanent employee and worked for 1.5 years with good record.They were keep hiring for their "New" civil division and at the end screwed up with budget and started lay-off old employees and kept less experienced "newbies".
Don't have any collaboration among other divisions.
benefits
Cons
poor management, open bar and still keeping retired people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at EllisDon Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.