Elk Island Public Schools

Elk Island Public Schools Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews

schooljobstaffpaystudentworkinggreatteacher

Pretty good

Work life balance is good. Benefits for permanent employees are good. They could spend more time and resources training for the positions, a lot of finding things out on your own.

The last eight years of management team has made Elk Island a difficult place to work

When I first started at EIPS it was the place to work…progressive and innovated. However things change due to government lack of funding, lack of transparency of the latest management team and societal demands on schools and staffs.

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Superintendent

Insights into Elk Island Public Schools

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Supportive environment
  • Inclusive work environment

Toxic

By far the most unprofessional and damaging experience of my career. Incompetence at high levels - particularly in procurement and facilities - abounds. Astonishingly negative place to be with toxic, unsupportive atmosphere of back-stabbing and two-faced people at every turn. Total lack of training, yet the more you can do, the more will be piled on without thanks, pay increase, recognition, or room for growth. Horrible in every sense of the word. Game playing and dishonesty at high levels says it all. An embarrassment to education.

Co workers are great but unless you have a teaching degree regardless of position you hold.

Poor management leadership in most departments and few opportunities for advancement. Not very diverse and not open to change or new ideas. Dady to day running the offices daily work load does not encourage professional learning. Every department is independent. Your opportunities are limited by your manager is and not . Not consistent among staff for growth or opportunities for cross training. Facilities department is still ran like an old boys club.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Supportive and very caring team.

I loved working with the Elk Island school board. The school I was teaching at, Ecole Parc was composed of a very supportive and caring team. I really do miss working there.

Pros

Supportive environment

Cons

it was far from where I leave.

Max salary reached quickly

Great place to work but if you plan to stay with EIPS be prepared to reach your full earning potential quickly. As of right now, there are not a lot of incentives to keep furthering your training - I hope this changes in the future

too much politics/no appreciation

Awful place to work very backwards. Have no desire to work there again. Some nice teachers to collaborate with and a lot of the kids were great. Absolutely no appreciation.

Pros

was on same schedule as my children

Cons

everything else

excellent place to work

when you work at a school you bcome a part of a family . this made working at eips a great experience.i would stongly encourage others to apply at elk island public schools.

Pros

friendly staff

Cons

more support

Difficult to get a sub job or a contract

Unless you already know people in the district, it is a big struggle to get in the door. I did the whole introduce myself, hand out business cards, to many schools. When I am subbing with this district, I average about 5-8 jobs in one month. I think the school has their preferred sub list, and only those people are picking up jobs. If you sub for this district, be prepared to be impoverished. I see that they are hiring more substitutes right now, I am not sure to what purpose, to never be lacking in subs? They have subs that are woefully underemployed now.

don't even bother applying for a job here

I worked for EIPS for 6 years. They are an unprofessional organization. They do not hire on merit. I would not recommend applying here, they already have someone in mind to hire, a waste of your time.

Great job

I love working here. No union for support staff so school admin are in control. It's still a great job and pay is fair and equal with amazing benefits. Professional attitude is required at all times.

Pros

Benefits and pay

Cons

Job may not be secure each end of year.

Challenging Workplace

Working for EIPS has been both rewarding and challenging. This can be an extremely stressful environment, I learned patience and cooperation. I have had many opportunities with this employer.

day in the classroom

I come to work, and help out the kids with math , science,la. we go on walks with the kids. ( special needs class i work with ) its nice to see the kids thrive

Pros

seeing the kids thrive

Cons

some times not getting breaks

Elk Island Public Schools schedule interviews ONLY to hire internally??

Elk Island Public Schools - IT Department, schedule interviews ONLY to hire internally?? and I bet all 4 current positions are already filled internally. Interviews are just Formalities, they already know who they are going to hire and they are just going through the motions.

Pros

Good Pay!

Fast Paced and Rewarding

This position is very diverse from my background in the housing/real estate industry. It has given me vast insight into another level of marketing and how strategies I've learned in the past can still transfer over into the eduction industry.

Fantastic district to teach in

Ongoing professional development opportunities for full time teachers and substitutes. A district that cares about its communities, families, students, teachers, and support personnel.

Pros

PD opportunities

Oppressive job board, and HR policy

It seems like a great district to work for, as a sub. However, there is rarely work ever posted on their job boards. If it is, it's at 2 am. Add this onto the benefit that you are told if you dont work a minimum of 3 days, you will get booted off their sub list. So, I could wait to maybe, unlikely, get a job at 2 am, or be guaranteed work elsewhere to...um, I dont know, pay my mortgage and not be in poverty.

Pros

Friendly staff

Cons

No work, unless you are established sub

hard to get a job

It was difficult to get a job, constant promises by the superintendent and principals, interview but I was never chosen. I am an amazing caring loving teacher and it was incredibly sad to work with EIPS.

Most distracted driving job possible

Too much responsibility and not enough back up from administration; most kids are really good; some have no respect for anyone; have to be able to monitor all children on the bus plus keep your eyes on the road - impossible task, especially if someone is acting up; must be able to drive in adverse weather condition; paid for 181 days a year at about $75 per day; split shift so you can do other things in between

Pros

morning & afternoon split shift

Cons

driving in adverse weather

No Appreciation on Cleaning side of the school

I was a custodian in one of the schools of Elk Island Public School and for those times I worked for them I can say that I did not feel any appreciation at all from the management (principal, vice principal, head office). I did not know and was confused what could exactly make them happy the fact that the school is so big to clean. They keep on complaining more than seeing the good sides. No recognition and they can only see the faults of the custodians but never asked how were we doing as employees who keep their school clean and safe. It was a very hard job and I know that I and the rest of my co custodians really did our very best to keep the school clean but I ended up giving up my job because I was not happy at all with the management. Also the pay was not good for a very hard job.

Pros

some of my friend teachers in that school are appreciative

Cons

Too many inspection and pressure in a month.

I love working here

I prepare the milk list, help the students stay quiet during lunch, walk around the playground and make sure the students are playing safe. The other supervisors are supportive, helpful and cheerful. The manager is the example of being supportive, helpful and cheerful! The hardest and most enjoyable parts of the job is the students. They want to push some rules and as a supervisor I need to encourage the rules. But they love to have someone to talk to and they want to be good!

Pros

Good Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elk Island Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement