Elizabeth Fry Society

Elizabeth Fry Society Management reviews

Canada40 reviews
They hire a lot of casual staff. Unnecessary. There is no rule as to who gets called and you'll never get a shift if you're not a preferred staff. Lots of drama. Most senior staff sit at the desk while newer staff run around doing the dirty work.
Pros
Looks good on a resume, staff training.
Cons
Emotional work with no support.
There was no room for growth and the job did not match the description. Management did not seem to care about the employees, disregarded employee mental health or any employee feedback. Lack of collaboration between staff. Constantly changing rules.
The population served was amazing and working with the women was rewarding, the team itself was also an asset, however, the poor management was enough to destroy employees.
Pros
Working with a population that is rewarding to work with
Cons
Lack of room for growth and progress despite efforts, poor management
In terms of growth great
Pay averages for non profit organization

Management is helpful and always willing to help when targets or deadlines due

Feel part of a team always

Regular follow up meeting to say on task
Honestly, just terribly run by upper management. Not adequate pay, maximum work, and very little room for growth. Lots of opportunity for training though which is nice.
being forced to review employers by indeed.

This was a placement, it's a non-profit, great organization but has no funding for programs or employees to run them
Amazing supportive staff and management. Helpful in providing training and ensuring a safe working environment. Excellent place to work when looking for experience in the social work field.
- they will put you in unsafe work situations
- they will take advantage of young graduates who are not acquainted with bottom line safety requirements in social services

- they will push you to do double shifts if the next person to come in does not show up

- management uses a micro-management and passive aggressive style; if you make a mistake there will be an email sent to the whole team saying "WHO DID THIS MISTAKE, THIS IS INAPPROPRIATE" rather than speaking with you privately and provide strategies to improve
- workers are overworked and underpaid and are mistreated by clients and management
- majority of management do not not have a bachelors degree in social services/work so have limited understanding regarding the framework used in social services; i.e. AOP, Structural Social Work/Services, Signs of Something etc
Pros
kind frontline staff
Cons
low pay, unsafe work environment, unorganized management
I work 2 morning's a week as their receptionist I great client's, answer the phone, filling and , direct client's to the staff members. I have learned how to be a respectful , caring person who try's to take care of client's requests The management at Elizabeth Fry Society is the best I have ever seen,
The hardest part of the jobs is trying to make our client's feel safe where they have come to friendly, and a supportive place to go I have been volunteering at Elizabeth Fry for over 8 year's I love what I do and I enjoy the people I work with and all the client's I have become to know and enjoy meeting new people.
Pros
Elizabeth Fry is absolutely essenshile to kelping women who are in crisis
Cons
that we would love to do more to help women in crisis
The work that we do is fantastic, but the environment is toxic and management is poor at the Director lever. Supervisors try as hard as they can and get nothing but negativity from their supervisors.

Directors have not idea the work that we do at the front level but try to tell us how to do our job. I wish they could come work the front line for a week and see how they do.

The one thing I enjoy the most working here is the co-workers, I've met some of the most dedicated, caring, strong women in my life, and I'm honoured to be able to watch the work that they do everyday. They work their butts off to find solutions for clients and help them achieve their goals.
Pros
The clients
Cons
management, pay, short staff
My typical day at work was always good. I always looked forward working and start a day off in a outstanding environment,

I learned to always have hopes and stay positive no matter what the future holds, because another day working with the people I'm around have that same attitude of achievement like I do.

I enjoy working for the management because the management always teaches the step toward the goal for having their candidates achieve for the better in the future.

Co-worker is a team for me. Helping, understanding, motivating, and respecting was what I received while working with the co-workers.

Hardest part I don't recall having any hardest part while working. Only thing I could remember is if I can make it through what I have learned in one day/first day of the job.

Enjoyable part of the job was learning new challenges. I like to challenge and learn new things everyday in the job
Pros
Treats
Cons
Na
E.D. is very unorganized and plays 'favorites' within the staff, don't voice your concerns because you will pay for it.
Pros
Clientele
Cons
Typical day at work includes completing various tasks and administrative work throughout the entire day as well adn supervising, interacting and supporting clients. I learned a great deal about the justice system on ontario and canada as well as how complex some adolescent issues are today. The management are the nicest most understanding team of management I have ever experienced. Co-workers were diverse in personalities. Hardest part of the job of setting boundaries when you are close in age with the teenage girls. Most enjoyable part is being able to help and be there and hear these stories these girls have to share.
Pros
free food, available shifts, comfortable environment
Cons
can be stressful at times, hours are long.