Elizabeth Fry Society Employee Reviews

Placement
Student placement for Canadore College MHA program (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON31 March 2019
The staff was very welcoming and helpful since day one. Kept me in the loop and trusted me to do what I wanted if I was comfortable. Never pushed me out of my comfort zone.
I don't appreciate
Support Worker (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON13 March 2019
being forced to review employers by indeed.

This was a placement, it's a non-profit, great organization but has no funding for programs or employees to run them
Great place to work.
Casual Worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 March 2019
Amazing supportive staff and management. Helpful in providing training and ensuring a safe working environment. Excellent place to work when looking for experience in the social work field.
does not care about your safety
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 January 2019
- they will put you in unsafe work situations
- they will take advantage of young graduates who are not acquainted with bottom line safety requirements in social services
- they will push you to do double shifts if the next person to come in does not show up
- management uses a micro-management and passive aggressive style; if you make a mistake there will be an email sent to the whole team saying "WHO DID THIS MISTAKE, THIS IS INAPPROPRIATE" rather than speaking with you privately and provide strategies to improve
- workers are overworked and underpaid and are mistreated by clients and management
- majority of management do not not have a bachelors degree in social services/work so have limited understanding regarding the framework used in social services; i.e. AOP, Structural Social Work/Services, Signs of Something etc
Pros
kind frontline staff
Cons
low pay, unsafe work environment, unorganized management
Empathy and practical help for clients who are at risk or involved in the Criminal Justice System
Mainland Nova Scotia - Volunteer Placement (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS18 September 2018
Staff are empathetic and client centered. They truly take the time to help women who are at risk of or involved in the criminal justice system. E-Fry provides practical help and supports to these women.
Pros
Practical Support
Cons
I can't think of any cons
Great programs but undervalue their employees
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 September 2018
Satisfying work and great day to day programming but head office is disorganized and disconnected from the individual programs and the wage is about $3-5 per hour below competitive organizations.
Pros
Great experience with low barrier front line work
Cons
Poor wages
Non-profit jobs
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 August 2018
Elizabeth Fry Society is a great agency and they do great work. However, it is the system that needs improvement because the system does not provide front-line workers with enough support systems to help them (us) cope with the complexities of the work and the nature of the job (lots of exposure to trauma). Overall, non-profits lack appropriate remuneration and often employees, especially front-line workers live below the poverty line. I hope in future the government recognizes how difficult and necessary these jobs really are and provides non-profit organizations with more funding to give employees better pay and more support systems.
Pros
Great agency that does great work and runs innovative programs
Cons
low pay, lack of support systems, working in high-stress
A great place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 June 2017
A very supportive work environment, dedicated employers and employees, great learning opportunities, a chance to give back to the communities through good works.
incredible people to work for
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 March 2017
I work 2 morning's a week as their receptionist I great client's, answer the phone, filling and , direct client's to the staff members. I have learned how to be a respectful , caring person who try's to take care of client's requests The management at Elizabeth Fry Society is the best I have ever seen,
The hardest part of the jobs is trying to make our client's feel safe where they have come to friendly, and a supportive place to go I have been volunteering at Elizabeth Fry for over 8 year's I love what I do and I enjoy the people I work with and all the client's I have become to know and enjoy meeting new people.
Pros
Elizabeth Fry is absolutely essenshile to kelping women who are in crisis
Cons
that we would love to do more to help women in crisis
helper
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS17 February 2017
would print papers off for the classes and i did taxes and help keep the place clean and the bathrooms and your always busy doing paper work
Pros
1 hour for lunch
Cons
haft hour some days
Established Company
Youth Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 January 2017
An opportunity to engage in meaningful and productive work that can really make a difference in the lives of others. Your commitment can actually change the course of someone's life.
toxic environment and culture
Front line staff (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC15 September 2016
The work that we do is fantastic, but the environment is toxic and management is poor at the Director lever. Supervisors try as hard as they can and get nothing but negativity from their supervisors.

Directors have not idea the work that we do at the front level but try to tell us how to do our job. I wish they could come work the front line for a week and see how they do.

The one thing I enjoy the most working here is the co-workers, I've met some of the most dedicated, caring, strong women in my life, and I'm honoured to be able to watch the work that they do everyday. They work their butts off to find solutions for clients and help them achieve their goals.
Pros
The clients
Cons
management, pay, short staff
administrative assistant
Administrative Support (work placement) (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS14 June 2016
filing, computer skills, organizational skills, strong communication skills, shredding important personal files
My Review
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 June 2016
My typical day at work was always good. I always looked forward working and start a day off in a outstanding environment,

I learned to always have hopes and stay positive no matter what the future holds, because another day working with the people I'm around have that same attitude of achievement like I do.

I enjoy working for the management because the management always teaches the step toward the goal for having their candidates achieve for the better in the future.

Co-worker is a team for me. Helping, understanding, motivating, and respecting was what I received while working with the co-workers.

Hardest part I don't recall having any hardest part while working. Only thing I could remember is if I can make it through what I have learned in one day/first day of the job.

Enjoyable part of the job was learning new challenges. I like to challenge and learn new things everyday in the job
Pros
Treats
Cons
Na
awesome place to volunteer
Court Worker Wetaskiwin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 May 2016
A lot of connections and they help everyone as best they can! They are located in an easy access area! Great people to work with!
Volunteer
Fundraising Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON26 April 2016
Amazing people to work with and they run for such a good cause. I enjoy volunteering and helping out in anyway I can. The fundraisers are always so creative and fun.
Pros
Amazing people
Cons
unpaid
Great clients
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON9 April 2016
E.D. is very unorganized and plays 'favorites' within the staff, don't voice your concerns because you will pay for it.
Pros
Clientele
Cons
EFry treat the clients with dignity and respect
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 December 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is the clientele. There is quite a diverse array of people who come through the doors of all the EFry shelters. Most of the staff are wonderful caring people, but there is a huge turn-over and clients are treated better than staff.
Pros
There is always lots of work. Most clients are grateful to be there.
Cons
Low pay and hard people to work for
rewrading and full filling
Cynthias place (Former Employee) –  surrey10 April 2015
I helped at risk clients with life skills, goal setting,listen, health and nutrition meal planning and helped with work out routines. Also helped search for housing.
A day in the life
Casual Relief Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 February 2015
A typical day onsist of making sure youth are up and ready for school. Attend school with youth while supervising them on internet and their behavior in the classroom. Manage the progress of youth throughout the facility and supervise youth while on community programming. Making lunch and dinner as well as helping with cleaning and laundry. At the end of every shift a progress report is written for each youth that sums us their behavior and activities throughout the day.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
overnight and awake hours