Elizabeth Fry Society of Ottawa

Elizabeth Fry Society of Ottawa Employee Reviews

I’ve been working here for 7 months and I really enjoy it. Sometimes the job is stressful, but management is really supportive. The pay isn’t amazing but they really make an effort to do everything they can and make you feel appreciated.
Pros
Management, paid sick and personal days, respectful environment
Cons
Pay, stressful work
Don’t burn out working for an org that could care less about you: - staff are grossly underpaid - hourly rate was $19 for years, but was only recently raised a few mere percentages after MUCH (and years-long negotiations) and the Executive Director thought we should all be eternally grateful for that - staff are expected to cover 2, 3, sometimes 4 different roles for the same amount of pay - burnout if high amongst staff - staff turnover is a joke - speaks volumes to culture - the Executive Director has no clue what she is doing, doesn’t know how to keep good staff, and was hired to be more inclusive and team-oriented (unlike the previous ED who ran the agency like a dictatorship), but she’s none of those things; example: she’s been with the agency for about two years and has yet to visit the scattered offices to sit with staff; her advocacy skills are atrocious; she doesn’t work as a team, she’s awful at compromise; she doesn’t listen to her staff or management, she’s condescending and a total narcissist, she could care less about how her decisions impact staff, etc. - there’s no proper training offered to new staff as the previous workers in those same positions have long resigned - management tries their best and one in particular really does try to support her staff, but under the ED, there’s never any real positive change allowed - now that manager has resigned too!!! - staff got railroaded during union talks (this happens every time) - volunteers and students are put under enormous pressure with unrealistic expectations - staff are fired without - more...
Poor management and lack of training. Low salary. Barely any support or guidance because managers don’t actually know what your job is for the most part and the high turn over rate makes it next to impossible to keep up with clients without them falling through the crack. Office morale was horrible. This is supposed to be a feminist organization, yet it’s an all women team and can get pretty catty.
Pros: Clients are great to work with Cons: -Low hourly pay and low km's pay -Pay for a union that doesn’t help -Working out of the Bronson Centre (mice) -staff quits before 6 months -board offers no support -No recognition or appreciation from the agency -Micro management approach -Not enough training and no material -agency asks for staff feedback but never make any changes -Long going history of agency only looking out for clients and not staff -Disorganized -no retirement fund
Being a volunteer with Elizabeth Fry has allowed me to get more involved in my community and gain more experience in my field. The staff are very helpful and always make me feel welcome.
People in management positions that have no experience no management skills and no leadership skills with the exception of one who is off site. Low pay no training low morale high staff turover for a reason.
A "feminist" organization that treats staff unfairly. They really are the exact opposite. Board members claim that change is on the horizon all the time. False promises. Unprofessional.
Pros
peer-support from staff non-management
Cons
management, poor leadership, no vision, low pay
I had a very positive experience as an intern. The people in the counselling department were very helpful and easy to get along with. However, at least half of them have left because there is a high turn over.
Helping all woman homeless addictions woman on parole and helping them back into society. Running 2 groups a week with woman to build their self esteem get them back into their culture help them with housing learn how to budget.
Pros
great Benifits
Cons
non profit
This company is great to work for and everyone is very passionate about their job.The bad part about the job is not ever getting a raise. The starting wage is your ending wage; there is rarely a possibility for growing into bigger and better things, you are stuck in the same position. The people I work with are great and everyone is super friendly.
Working in this position provided me the opportunity to counsel and facilitate groups in the community, at the office, and at the Ottawa Carleton Detention Centre. I worked mainly with women who were inn conflict with the law and who had concurrent disorder (individuals with addictions who were diagnosed with mental health disorders). I managed a case load of over 100 clients and focused mainly on harm reduction using the housing first model. A typical day included counselling approx. 4-5 individual clients and running groups (group counselling and programming) twice a week with approx. 8-10 clients in the community and at the detention centre. The hardest part of the job was realizing that every client I worked with were not going to make full recoveries and recognizing the barriers that limited funding plays on social service organizations. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing clients return and having the flexibility to work in different locations doing the same work. I learned a lot about myself, the social services sector, and the individuals who rely on social services.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Limited funding