Elections Ontario Employee Reviews

don't expect to be paid for hours worked
IA (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2018
It was a long and interesting day, but it was disappointing to not get paid for the hours worked. It doesn't matter what hours the poll supervisor tells you to work. Elections Ontario won't pay for anything other than 12 hours for election day, plus training.
Fast paced, learn as you go mentality
Recruitment Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2018
Hiring so many people in such a short time leads to a lot of problems if the management isn't organized. there was alot of going back and fourth between sources of information that were all duplicated with different bits of information. Other than that the staff was fantastic, doing the work was great unless you run into an error and it was very fast paced and unforgiving which I happen to enjoy
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Unorganized management
A good experience in a new field
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON7 September 2018
For the most part it felt like a long day by the end of it. The mornings and evenings were not that busy but the afternoons had the most calls. The hardest part was probably keeping up with all of the calls that kept coming in.
Horrible mismanagement
Data Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2018
Elections Ontario is only highly rated by members who worked less than a month. All of us who have been here for years, hate it. No communication between departments, nepotism galore and most mangers have never worked in their fields.
Very great place to work.
Tech Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 September 2018
The environment is fantastic, full of people who understand the job and are willing to help you learn. This makes communicating very easy and overall a great place to work.
A wonderful short term employment!
Election Clerk (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON30 August 2018
I truly enjoy doing my part during an election period and have worked in the past 5 elections. Elections Ontario works hard to ensure that all of their temporary staff are well looked after, trained well and supported during their brief employment.
Busy but informative
Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kleinburg, ON29 August 2018
The day was long, busy and exhausting. I was on my feet for about 12 hours straight, and I could hardly stand by the end.

Despite this, it was a great opportunity to meet people in the community and to engage with others. I also worked with great people who made the experience more enjoyable.

It was a good chance to make money in a temporary, no-commitment environment.
Pros
Meeting others, building communication skills
Good Place to work
Tabulator Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 August 2018
The job was good . The people were good. The pay was good. The only thing I didn't like was it took a long time to get paid. The Hours we very long. But they were good to work for.
Pros
it was very friendly enviroment
Cons
very long hours.
Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 August 2018
It was overall a good experience working with a team for Elections Ontario.The people that were friendly and were always happy to answer my questions.
Pros
Working with a partner
Cons
Monotone work
Productive, welcoming environment
REVISION DEPUTY RETURNING OFFICER (RDRO) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2018
While it seemed like a stressful and difficult job, especially because this was the first time computers were involved and there was no guarantee that Election Day would go smoothly, our training and preparation for Election days were well conducted by our employers.
fun place to work
DEPUTY RETURNING OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 August 2018
It was fun to work with the Elections Canada. Got to learn a lot about the customer service and the official laws of elections and many more. It was a nice experience that everyone should have at least once.
Pros
Got good Money
Cons
Very long day
Boss was horrible
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ON25 July 2018
bad boss, never did the task they were supposed to do, liked to screw over the warehouse workers and leave out detail until the last minute to add work to other duties
Great Experience
Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Jacobs, ON17 July 2018
Learned a lot with this experience. Enjoyed working at the polling station, although a 14 hour day made for a very long day for everyone involved. We had a great team and I was happy to be a part of it.
Pros
Great team, learned a lot about the elections process.
Cons
14 hour day on election day was quite tiring for everyone.
Great
Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 July 2018
Very Understanding Management. Work is well organised and thought out. Overall a great experience and good time. Work life balance is great. I would recommend
Productive Work Environment
Elections Ontario 2018 (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON6 July 2018
Great Management team and wonderful workspace and environment. Simple and easy task. It can get confusing if you do not pay attention. It also requires the ability of workers to lift heavy boxes
Pros
good pay, good work environment
Cons
heavy boxes
fun workplace
Bilingual Tabulator deputy officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON30 June 2018
Great workplace environment. Long hours, but enjoyed every moment of the job. Got to meet all types of people. Would recommend to any of my friends and family.
Pros
free lunches
Tdro
Tabulator Deputy Returning Officer (TDRO) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2018
Standard work (election day)
-follow simple instructions to set up poll signage and other voting equipment
-vote tabulator is easy to set up with prior training and instructions with given manual
-pay and hours are reasonable
-is a team environment
Pros
pay, experience working on election day, practice communication skills
Paid less than minimum wage?
Supervising Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee) –  Welland Centre Ontario28 June 2018
I was a SDRO (Supervising Deputy Returning Officer) contracted for standby during the 2018 election. I've done this before and it's a great short term position that typically pays very good money. This election was the exception.

I was on standby and was not called in. I was paid the minimum 3 hours at $22.88/h. However, I was required to attend training in the next city plus drive 32km round trip for the 6 hour session. Elections Ontario has always paid supervisors mileage. Total payment was $54.60 or $9.10/h, almost $5/h below minimum wage.

This is outrageous considering the government sets the province's minimum wage. Since when do they think they are exempt?

Overall a good job but this government employer is CHEAP and operating above their own laws!
Pros
Mostly good money
Cons
Short term work, less than minimum wage
Fun tme at the provincal election
Poll clerk (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON27 June 2018
Long, enjoyable day with a constant influx of people coming in to vote. The most enjoyable part is the interaction with people, greeting them and directing them on where they vote. Hardest part is the long day. A lot of people came to vote, I was worried I couldn't keep up! That was not the case though.
Pros
You can food brought to you
Cons
The long day
I liked working at Election Ontario
Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 June 2018
I liked working at Election Ontario, we had a great team and great work ethic. We had a long day but didn't feel it, thanks to the team work effort. i would like to work there again.