Elections Canada

Elections Canada Employee Reviews for Poll Clerk

Poll Clerk99 reviews
Canada99 reviews
I was a poll clerk and on election day there would be a rush from time to time but it was a good day overall. The only challenging part is if you mess up. One tiny detail could set you up to stay for longer hours if you didnt account for a ballot.
Pros
Decent pay, good breaks
Cons
Long hours of sitting, just be careful to not mess up
Had to work 1.5 hours past when they closed the gym to new voters just to finish taking the remaining voters' ballots. Then had to work with an inept supervisor which led to an extra 2 hours of bumbling around until we closed our station. worked 17 hours instead of the regular 14. They also refused to give us a lunch break because our polling station was so busy so I didn't eat until I went home. If you do apply as a DRO or poll clerk, make sure you request being paired with someone who has already worked an election.
Pros
Not physically demanding
Cons
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for Elections Canada although it was only on election day and therefore not a lot of time spent getting to know one another, I felt truly included and accepted by my peers and fellow employees.
Pros
Very good compensation
Cons
Can be boring in slow times throughout the day.
I worked the october 2019 federal elections and the day itself was long and exhausting. It was however mentally stimulating and fairly entertaining as there was a constant flow of electors needing their poll recorded, etc...
Working for Elections Canada is a quick was to make $300 as a teenager. Training is very simple and you're given the impression that the Federal Election is an easy workday. After working from 6am to 11pm (17 hours of work), my pay was cut down to 15 hours.
Its an exciting day to be a part of. Training staff is very nice and supportive. Its a long day but totally worth the experience. Nice to get out and involve yourself with the community
A great life experience. Teamwork, customer service, engaging the public, learning the election process and pride in being able to help your community.
Pros
Meeting people in your community
Cons
Can be long days during the polls. Bring water and lunch.
Easy,fun,nice and it was a lovely environment to work in. Everyone there was very nice and caring. I felt very welcomed and it was form 8am-10pm but it was worth it.
It was a good first job. It only lasted 1 day but I would do it again the next time there is an election. I would recommend it if you are looking to try out something and want a little bit of job experience.
Easiest job in the world. I worked as a poll clerk and I had no experience but I felt like I was a pro. Really easy but be prepared to deal with some frustrating voters. Oh and last one, be prepared to count ballots for 100 times
This job is paid piece rate so the more hours of over time you end up with the lower you are being paid per hour. they also wonèt allow working both advanced and general election days, so be clear when applying and only select the one you are willing to do.

You will be required to manage voters through the experience including helping them fill out appropriate forms. Be sure to stand up as often as you can. Take every break offered. The best part of this job is getting to see how politically engaged your town really is.
they have a lot of activities and jobs to do to keep you busy on elections day. The training they give before the actual poll days are paid and leave you well informed. Management was friendly and coworkers swell.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long Hours
It was a good place to work at once in awhile. They give opportunities to new workers as well, and it is a highly cooperative environment, not to mention political contribution you get to make.
Great job only part-time single election days does not allow for a stable career. Everyone helped one another there and I felt everyone wanted to ensure the counts and registration was done correctly for everyones sake.
Filling out forms. Handing out ballots. I learned about the voting process. I learned about which forms are filled out at which time of the day. Easy going place to work. Rushing to fill out the closing poll station forms and balancing the ballots. You get to meet new people in your neighbourhood.
it was my first time at elections Canada, I had a great time and in the training session, they gave us thorough information on how it would be so we were not confused. The payment breakdown and receiving it could have been explained a bit more.
They allowed us to take bathroom breaks during a busy voting day, which was nice. Overall, it was a fun day of hard work processing and tabulating votes.
It’s was a great experience working for elections Canada for a day. I will always remember that day, it was relaxed since we were at a retirement home.
Although it is a only once a year, the job is very good to have on your resume. My time spent working for the day made me learn a lot and i would absolutely recommend applying and doing it in the future years to come.
I day training for Poll Clerk. Very intense. Very long day! 16 hours. No lunch break. Had to grab 10 min when it slowed down. Not sure i would do it again.
Need to be professional and remain polite and courteous at all times.
Need to have experience in managing large groups to help electors circulate in orderly fashion.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elections Canada. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3