Elections Canada

Canada163 reviews

Clear
4.0Pay & benefits

Great for short term

Election work is short term. Ranging from a single day to four days, to months depending on what you hired for. Office personnel have the most long term position.Poll positions are one to four day commitments lasting 12-16 hours, lots of contact with people, sometimes abusive, mostly good!

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Abusive public

Equal opportunity employer

Training was good with practice scenarios to reinforce what we learned. Can be fast-paced at times. Depending on position, can be a lot of sitting. Not much time for breaks (bathroom or eating). Long shifts and minimum pay.

Pros

Minimum experience required; training provided.

Cons

Long hours, little to no breaks.

Insights into Elections Canada

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Clear sense of purpose

Good Pay for a day

I was a poll clerk and on election day there would be a rush from time to time but it was a good day overall. The only challenging part is if you mess up. One tiny detail could set you up to stay for longer hours if you didnt account for a ballot.

Pros

Decent pay, good breaks

Cons

Long hours of sitting, just be careful to not mess up

Fun to work with people from all different backgrounds, even just for a short period of time like one election day.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for Elections Canada although it was only on election day and therefore not a lot of time spent getting to know one another, I felt truly included and accepted by my peers and fellow employees.

Pros

Very good compensation

Cons

Can be boring in slow times throughout the day.

pretty good

The money is good but the job is really boring. O would never do it again but if you like sitting at a desk for 15 hours you would be fine. It is only for one day but like I said, really boring.

Stressfull and my pay was cut

Working for Elections Canada is a quick was to make $300 as a teenager. Training is very simple and you're given the impression that the Federal Election is an easy workday. After working from 6am to 11pm (17 hours of work), my pay was cut down to 15 hours.

great way to make money quickly

it was only on day of work plus another 5 hours of training, for which you were paid. It's a pretty boring job but you end your day with a fat cheque for doing next to nothing

Pros

easy

Cons

Fun place to work for a couple of days

they have a lot of activities and jobs to do to keep you busy on elections day. The training they give before the actual poll days are paid and leave you well informed. Management was friendly and coworkers swell.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Long Hours

It was a stressfull day,

Could have been more money for the amount of time we were there. 16 hours was a long day. we did have breaks. The Supervisors were good at handling my questions. i did check my work a lot so wouldn't have any at the end of the night.

Challenging

I day training for Poll Clerk. Very intense. Very long day! 16 hours. No lunch break. Had to grab 10 min when it slowed down. Not sure i would do it again.

Long

Was a long day but the pay was good and I got to help make a difference in the Canadian government by helping others have there say for what they wanted

it was nice

taught me a little more about politics, very long day though. really cool experiencing how everything works getting involved and keeping records. with the long day with good pay.

a great way to get involved in the election.

elections canada offers paid training, the opportunity to make more money by working the advance polling days, and pays well for one day of work. I would highly recommend.

Please don't do this job, it's not fun at all but it's well paid.

An exciting oppurtunity

A great way to make fairly easy money, while learning about voting. Teaches problem solving and working well with others. Time management and working under pressure.

A quick way to make some money

It was a rush to complete training and it was difficult to get to; but the people were very nice and I only worked for the single election day. It was a very long day and there was no time for breaks. we had to keep an eye out for a slow section of time (when no one was voting) to go to the washroom or get a snack. would not recommend if you cannot sit for very long periods of time.

Pros

only one day of work for a decent salary

Cons

11 hr day, no given breaks

Good

It was a good experience. The training you're given makes the job super easy and I would most definitely do it again. Plus as a bonus the pay is great.

It was fun to meet people

It was really great to meet so many faces. Everyone was very nice and they made sure we were well educated on what should be happening, very organized and neat.

Pros

free lunch

poll clerk

Very interesting working experience! I've learned more about Canada's election process! My deputy officer is a very interesting person, the hardest part of the job is the long hours without a break because of the long line ups of voters. The most enjoyable part of the job is good pay and the overall experience with my co-workers!

Pros

good pay

Cons

hardly a proper lunch/dinner break, long hours

Good job for someone who is looking for occasional work

This job only happens when there is a election at one level of government. It is not more than a casual job and will not allow to you to pay the bills.

Pros

Cons

Must be efficient at the everything involved in the job, Not a good source of income.

Good for short term work

- all staff were friendly - pay was adequate for the hours - mileage was provided if they sent you to a rural polling station - would have been nice if coffee/food was provided as election day was very long - There may be some room for growth and management but I was just a poll clerk so no delegation rolls