Elections Canada

Elections Canada Employee Reviews

Fast Paced Environment

It’s fast paced environment.I was fortunate to work in a productive and professional environment . I had excellent experience and will look forward to work for the next election.

great learning experience

its hard work but its super interesting and you learn a whole lot of things , i recommend greatly this employer for anyone who is not scared of long hours

Pros

Cons

not enough work

environnement de travail est très agréable

Quand tu travailes chez Élections canada tu te sens comme travail dans une grande famille ,dans le quelle tout le monde veille sur tout le monde.

Great experience

Long yet rewarding day. It was a pleasure working the election. It was a smooth day and I learned a alot. Everyone was a pleasure to work with. It was fun learning a new opportunity.

Pros

Good people and pay

Cons

Extra long day

The management team was friendly and helpful

Enjoyed the experience and would work with elections Canada again. I was very informed about the position and was able to assist other staff members within the position

A Great Experience!

Working as a Deputy Returning Officer (DRO) was nice to work with the public. It was slow at some times and fast-paced other times. When it was slow I would use that time to keep in pace with paper work and keeping my poll station tidy. There was always something to do - it is a job where you stay busy. Everyone was a lot of fun to work with. Pay is good, anything over 8 hours in one day is overtime. Takes a while to get paid, still waiting from election. Can take up to 2 months to receive your pay by direct deposit when I called and asked. It is a good side job that's just a lot of fun and when your pay shows up - it's a surprise! I had no problems at my poll. I hope to return in the future!

Pros

Long Hours, Took quick breaks when slow, Fun, Fast-Paced, Great Team

Was ok

It was long day 18+ hours and it wasn’t fair we didn’t get many breaks we should have been given more time to relax and it was very long day. It wasn’t something I would do again

Pros

Time and a half

Cons

It was an exciting day of work, stressful at times

This was a one-day job, for the federal elections. The training was 3hours, and very informative. On the day of the election, it was exciting and stressful too. All went well, we balance our ballots.

Pros

Meet new people with the same civic duty as yourself.

Cons

Some people that were hired were slow, didn't know English fluently and this was a problem.

Great Experience

Everyone at elections Canada were amazing, from the training to the voting day. The training tools were easy to understand. My follow co workers were easy to get along with. They always make sure you have the right support threw the whole process. I couldn’t say there was a con about this temp job. It was great to know how Canada elections work. I’d definitely do it again.

Pros

Great training, good pay, friendly staff

Productive and Professional team

I am fortunate to have worked with a productive and professional my team.This was a good experience overall and I won’t hesitate to reapply for the next election.

Pros

Launch Break

Great experience.

I enjoyed the 3 hour training and also working 14 hours on Election day.I also met some nice people and the environment was very good. My experience over all was good.

Pros

Breaks, great pay as well.

Cons

14 hours was a very long day and wondering when I will be paid.

enjoyable place to work, it was just temporary

When I took the job , I was told that there would be plenty of help around to assist me if needed, but that was not true, I had to figure everything out on my own, basically thrown to the wolves, but I succeeded with flying colours,

Pros

meet a lot of good people

Cons

covid 19 made the job more difficult

Busy, short timelines

Lots of work to get accomplished in just 36 days from the drop of the Writ, but we got it done! We had to hire and train 185 staff in order to conduct the election effectively.

Great team and fun place to work

I am fortunate to have worked with a productive and professional team. This position gave me a sense of purpose and the hours flew by. This was a rewarding experience overall and I won't hesitate to reapply for the next election.

Pros

Team with positive energy

Cons

Great job for students ( social sciences)

I was absolutely shocked that no background check was required for taking ballots and voters list into my possession.Positions were merged due to covid and the work requirements for pay is not appropriate for the GTHA at all.I would recommend this job for people doing politics, history, etc.. in school as it will teach you a lot about the business side of elections and teach you about the general population's behavior/knowledge at polling stations.

Cons

cant leave poling station to get coffee

Productive and collaborative place to work.

This was an excellent opportunity and it helped to fulfill my Civic duty to the Elections process. The training materials as well as online resources were enough to adequately prepare me for the position.

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Instances of very long hours.

Great for short term

Election work is short term. Ranging from a single day to four days, to months depending on what you hired for. Office personnel have the most long term position.Poll positions are one to four day commitments lasting 12-16 hours, lots of contact with people, sometimes abusive, mostly good!

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Abusive public

Easy and flexible place to work only short training

I was able to discuss my outreach plan with RO as a CRO- E but when I worked as DRO in last 2 federal elections I found that it was long hours to work as DRO or Poll clerk so didn't plan to work this year or in last Elections either.

Pros

Traninng short

Cons

Long hours on the Election Day

Can be busy and fast pace

Enjoy my job as reception don’t think ill do it again. Although it can be busy it can also be slow. I prefer busy all the time. Computer would be good

Pros

People are super nice

Cons

Evening receptionist can be boring at times

Productive and high energy

I have worked for Elections Canada since 2002. I've do enjoyed the total craziness and the great team of people I've had the pleasure of working with. The count down to election day is always stressful...always making sure we have everything in order...My favorite part is working Election Day when we input the data from all the polls and find out the winner.

Pros

Great snacks always provided

Cons

Only 40 days of work every 4 year

Equal opportunity employer

Training was good with practice scenarios to reinforce what we learned. Can be fast-paced at times. Depending on position, can be a lot of sitting. Not much time for breaks (bathroom or eating). Long shifts and minimum pay.

Pros

Minimum experience required; training provided.

Cons

Long hours, little to no breaks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elections Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3