Elections Canada
Happiness score is 85 out of 100

Elections Canada Employee Reviews

Canada885 reviews

pollcanadavotervotingelectorballotvotedro

Fast-Paced environment with lots of teamwork

It was a job that was really fast-paced, many voters coming in during certain periods of the day. Team members are cool to work with and good pay. Long hours thought.

Pros

Teamwork, Good pay, Communication skills and conflict resolution

Fun place to work

Educational place to work. learnt how the voting process and got to interact with members of the local community. It was a lovely workplace with great people.

Insights into Elections Canada

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Clear sense of purpose

Elections Canada is a great place to learn about voting processes at all levels of government

With a great team of professionals, patient and educated the instructions are always clear and concise which makes working for Elections Canada a place to work and have potential for advancement.

Pros

Always close to home

Cons

Not enough time too eat a proper meal, can get busy with questions or concerns

decent pay and purpose

It is a job that only is done every few years, but is one that has a clear sense of duty and responsibility. It is a patriotic and practical job. It pays well for the hours it provides. The only burden is election day requires a 12-hour shift. It is not a particularly difficult 12 hours, but a requirement of the job.

Pros

sense of duty and good pay

Cons

election day can be long for some people

A great company to work for

It was great working for the elections, you learn everything you need to know and your co workers/ staff that are on site and off site management help you with any troubles you may have. The pay is great and you get to work with amazing diverse groups of people.

Pros

Great pay, helpful management

Cons

Angry clients

Highly recommend!

Working for Elections Canada when they have jobs available is awesome! The training session is really easy, the work during polling season is fairly easy as well. If you like to help people and want to make some extra money, go for it!!

Agréable

J'ai travaillé aux élections pendant une journée et c'était plaisant. Les salaires sont incroyables et les pauses sont bien appréciées. Il y avait une employée qui me faisait des commentaires déplacés à cause de mon jeune âge, mais bon, ce n'était que pour une journée.

Pros

Pauses, bon salaire

Cons

Légérement stressant

I worked as an Information Officer

It’s fast-paced and stressful however I was paid good! Some people did not do there jobs so if you’re younger you will have to do more of the hard work than the older people. However older people are really nice!

a very positive experience

I would like to work again for elections Canada as it was a pleasure working with the general public as I once did with past employment.The work culture was both a learning teaching experience and gave me a self-accomplishment in achieving these goals for myself and other employees.

Solid pay and experience high stress

Have progressed lots. Theres suitable space to work around canada in these positions once you've got in. Its easy generally yo work with coworkers but who manages u is up in the air sometimes.

Long hours but you're only working for a day or two. Bring snacks and food!

You get paid really well (up to $200-300) for the day but it will be a 12 and over shift. The training is great so the job becomes really easy. You have a co-worker who is there to support you so you whenever you have doubts you can have their help right beside you.

Pros

Amazing pay, easy work

Cons

Very high passed a few months prior an Election - interesting to learn about the Election process

I very much enjoyed my 2 years à Election Canada…great opportunity to gain knowledge about the Election process and different cycles! Great support from the full-time employees ! The organization is open to introduce to new processed and automation to be able to get results quicker!

Fun, pays well and you learn the electoral process

Worked for Elections Canada during the last two federal elections and enjoyed it very much. You get to talk to people and help them vote during their visit. It also pays pretty good but you have to work hard and be vigilant. I would definitely do it again

A great gig and an exciting day

I was a deputy returning officer during the pandemic. I worked only on election day. I learned a lot about the election process and thought it was very interesting. I learned that with all the check and balances (and there are a lot of them) the election process is secure would be incredibly hard to rig, even at the local level.The culture is very friendly and helpful. You will get all the training you need to do this job well. The hardest part of the job was the long day. I worked for 16 hours straight (overtime is pad) and did not get home until 1am. The most enjoyable part of the job is that the day goes very fast and there is lots to do so you won't be bored, even if there are no voters present. Seeing who won and by how much is also exciting.

Great Team Environment

We had a great team to work with and everyone was there to help each other. The environment in general was relaxed until the 48 hrs prior to the actual voting day and then it was all hands on deck, top speed and on the ball 110%. We had to ensure customer service was too priority and all data entry was accurate. Need to be detail oriented and a multitasker to be successful but worth it!!

Some kind of bizarre nightmare scam being run by the government?

The pay for 1 day was a set salary. I can't recall it, though it seemed like good money (at the time), for a full shift.I'd heard good things about doing election days. In the past, there was well equipped staff, reasonable workload, and overall kind people. It started first thing in the morning, and I was ready to go until the designated closing time of the polls. It was a nightmare. I worked for 10+ hours, rendering the pay far below minimum wage. We weren't allowed to leave until the job was done, including hand counting all the ballots.My only interactions with the supervisors that day were their brief instructions, and their complaints when I told them I had to take a short break. I was lucky I brought food.My only interactions with the staff in the building was their complaining because I used the microwave in the staff lounge. After my only break (10 minutes), I returned to my station.It was dark when we left the building. They quietly sent me a cheque at a later date, and I never worked for them again.

Cons

illegal pay, misleading job details, hostile environment

Fun place to work

If you're working as information Officer, you're really just in charge of directing people to the voting room and then counting ballots at the end of the night. If you're looking for a job for a couple of days this is a great place.

met some really nice people living in the neighbourhood

I met some really nice people... it only takes one bad apple to spoil the crop... and we had our one who I had the pleasure to be partnered with... she was hired as a supervisor for election day and as a helper on other days.. Well she was assigned to my desk... my desk but she thought she was my supervisor... In fact my real supervisor was totally qualified unlike her and she encouraged all the staff. The bad apple thought she was running the show and bucked heads with many of us! Luckily it was only a temporary position!

Pros

ability to sit and meet people living in the neighbourhood

Cons

unfortunately no matter how hard you try you just can't get along with everyone you work with

Great Experience!

Great experience with them, easy day job to earn quick cash! Everything was organized, staff were friendly and helpful. No experience necessary all the training is provided and easy to understand.

Good pay for day, bad supervisor can make for a bad experience

I was a reception officer, day went well except for supervisor's that were contradicting each other.Also the end of your shift depends on how quickly the votes are counted... Again this is dependent on how competent the supervisors are. Some will speed up process, others slow it down due to lack of knowledge of the process

Pros

Free lunch, fun collegues

Cons

Undetermined day length.

productive and busy environment to work in assisting the public

productive workplace/culture, great salary, typical day at work is providing professional friendly customer service to the public and assisting with their forms to the right ballots. Assisting management with the set up and clean up after voting polls have closed. You get to learn the different zones in your community and where to direct the voting forms .The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to interact with people in your community while exercising friendly customer service.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Elections Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement