ELAM

ELAM Employee Reviews

Total Freedom and Great Supervisor but Salary Sucks

Like many teaching jobs at language schools, it is a great environment and there's lots of flexibility to use your own materials and teach the way you want. However, the money is just isn't there. I maxxed out @ $21 /hr! Great, if you are a student or as a supplementary income, but just not sustainable unless you work 30 hours plus a week teaching!

Pros

Freedom

Cons

Salary

Fun/Interesting corporate contracts; awesome staff that offers great support & free workshops

I love working with Elam! I’ve taught English for many years and my experience with them has been overwhelmingly positive. Elam always provides fun/interesting contracts and offers excellent resources/materials to help you tailor classes to your students' interests and needs. They give you autonomy over the structure, methodology and content of your classes, and group size is small (never exceeding six students), enabling you to focus on individual needs. Over the years, I was offered the opportunity to teach a variety of courses for specific purposes and needs (e.g. report writing, interview/interviewing skills, negotiation/persuasion skills, pronunciation, etc.) which has enabled me to progressively hone my overall skills as a corporate trainer. Management is amazing: friendly, understanding and so helpful! They are always available and eager to assist you with anything you might need. One of the greatest aspects about working with Elam is that their team is comprised of experienced teachers who understand both sides of the teaching/learning equation. Out of all of my experiences with language schools, I can say that Elam is the best at matching teachers with students, since they take into consideration personality, preferred learning/teaching styles, your strengths and student needs. In my opinion, this is an essential, though often overlooked, ingredient that greatly enhances the chance of a rewarding experience for the teacher and a successful/fun learning experience for the student(s). Just apply and you’ll see! You won’t be disappointed!

Pros

They provide great teaching resources & useful workshops for skills development

Cons

No opportunity for full-time teaching, though hourly rate is competitive

22 June 2021
Thank you for your feedback and for letting us know that your experience with us has been rewarding! We have the privilege of working with a great team of teachers. Thanks for your dedication and for letting us know that we're excelling at what we care about most - bringing exceptional teachers and motivated students together to have an enriching learning experience!

Excellent organization to belong to!

An excellent company to work for! Students are great and the supervisors are amazing! Great energy and zero drama! I would highly recommend applying if you are looking for a stress-free teaching environment.

22 June 2021
We appreciate your review! We are always on the lookout for talented teachers who share our passion for language learning. It makes working together such a pleasure. Thanks for being part of our valued team!

Professional team!

I am self-employed and have been working with Elam as an English instructor for 13 years. I can say, without a doubt, that my experience has been wonderful. The entire team is very professional and knowledgable, open-minded and kind. Never once have I had any issues dealing with them. It would be nice, however, if the pay were a bit better. I also appreciate the freedom they give me to use my own material based on my students’ needs. I would love to continue our collaboration and would highly recommend Elam to other language instructors.

Pros

Interesting contracts, clients; flexible hours

Cons

No social benefits

A great place to work with a very supportive team

A very good place to work. I really like the culture and the staff. The communication is always professional and you feel supported every step of the way.

22 June 2021
We appreciate your feedback! As all our teachers work remotely, we are always looking for ways to bridge distance and let our teachers know that we are here for them. Your comments are affirming and let us know that we are on target. Thank you for teaching with us!

Great team

ELAM provides good opportunities to work and gain experience with professionals wanting to better themselves. You get to create and adapt your lessons to suit the needs of your learners, there is a lot of flexibility in this matter. Management is always a message away, they provide you with the tools you need and help guide you when you have questions. All in all, I highly recommend working at ELAM.

22 June 2021
Thank you for taking the time to give us your kind feedback and recommendation! It is rewarding for us to provide a supportive work environment and motivated students for newer teachers honing their craft.

Fun work life with great people on your team!

A typical day working for ELAM consists of me planning future classes, giving classes, creating course outlines, and preparing progress reports for various students. The company offers me contracts, and I choose whether to take them on or not. The class offers and info comes from their awesome management team. Everyone on the team is approachable and ready to help me at any time I need. I am in control of rescheduling classes and communicating directly with my students when it comes to taking time off. I like this aspect of my job at ELAM very much. There is a strong level of trust between company and teacher, and this is not always easy to find. ELAM is an amazing company, and I would recommend it to anyone who has a passion for teaching. Not only have they provided me with work during the pandemic and allowed me to continue pursuing my passion for teaching, they have guided and supported me all the way!

18 August 2021
We are delighted to hear that you enjoy working with us! Thank you for being part of our team of dedicated teachers. We are a company made up of teachers that share your passion, and we like to provide the best tools and resources to help teachers feel supported and inspired. It is validating to hear that this has been your experience!

Flexible scheduling and nice interesting adult students!

I have worked with ELAM for 3 or 4 years and I have appreciated the flexibility that this company offers.Although teaching material is available, I appreciate that rather than a fixed 'program' we also have the opportunity as teachers to create programs/materials that respond to our students needs and interests.The management is quick to help out with problems and respond to questions.This is a relaxed but well-run company to work for.

Pros

You can accept contracts that fit your schedule.

22 June 2021
Thanks so much for sharing about your experience working with us! We work hard to provide the best possible environment and support to our talented team of teachers. This tells us we're on the right track!

No follow-up by the management + no stability + no fixed income

They leave you to yourself. The teaching setting is boring coz almost all the time you find yourself giving private lessons which are paid the same as group lessons which is unfair!Salary wise, althouh the per hour rate seems interesting but you spend most of it on the gaz coz sometimes you make more than one destination per day and you may make long travels to reach your work.

29 March 2021
Thanks for your review. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations. We haven’t given face-to-face classes in over a year, but when we did, we’d often pay a higher rate for these. Still, we understand how commuting costs can add up quickly and appreciate your feedback.

Small innovative language school, highly motivated students, independence in your career!

ELAM is a small company with a big heart. Made-up of a dedicated team of teachers, they are passionate about what they do and strive to be the best they can be. I've been teaching with them for three years. They are accessible, easy-going, and supportive. Working with ELAM has given me the flexibility to travel and keep working while living in another country. ELAM's students are highly motivated business professionals. Some of my students have been with me for multiple contracts. This has allowed us to set real learning objectives and see them through. ELAM gives me the freedom to use my own course content to best support my students' needs. Overall, I would say that teaching with ELAM has been a rewarding experience.

Pros

get to meet great people, flexible schedule, distance work, continuous learning, independence, motivated students

Le travail

C'est relax. Aucune pression. Je donne des cours en présentiels ou en télétravail.

29 March 2021
Merci de nous avoir fait part de votre expérience. Nous sommes heureux de savoir que vous avez apprécié votre expérience d'enseignement avec nous.

Perfect for self-reliant people

Excellent staff and wonderful teaching experience. Continuous support. Teachers are free to experiment with the approach that works best for them. Very friendly atmosphere.

20 April 2021
We are so glad that you enjoyed your experience working with us and that you felt supported, valued, and trusted. This is what we strive for. Thank you for your comments!

Highly Recommended

A small size company with very high ambitions and a superb team. I highly encourage any qualified individual to apply as this company is sure to provide a good payout and put you in contact with great people.

25 March 2021
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback. Your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day.

Job conditions

Prévoir des avantages sociaux ainsi qu’une culture de loyauté et d’appartenance auprès des employés.

It was not difficult for me to get through the interview process. The management is very generous and helpful. The rate of pay is good. Job was easy.

Interview process was easy. The interviewer selected me at the first interview but I had to wait for the offer for about one month. The management is really generous. Very good working environment. I was happy working at ELAM.

29 March 2021
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed being part of our team. We strive to make teaching with us a positive and rewarding experience.

Great part-time teaching experience

Management overall very kind and helpful. It's a great place to start off teaching and to get some part-time freelance work. The pay is fair considering that you can get paid less for teaching so many more students per class in some language schools (the most I ever taught in a class with Elam was six). Having said that, it does not provide me with full-time hours or a potential to expand my career.

Pros

Good management, fair pay, fun work

Cons

No major career growth

20 April 2021
Thanks very much for sharing your comments. We are glad that ELAM provided you a positive experience at the launch of your freelance career!

Travail stimulant

Excellente opportunité de partager ses connaissances avec les autres. Belle culture d'entreprise, équipe professionnelle et sympa. Les cours permettent aussi de faire connaissance avec beaucoup de personnes et ainsi élargir son cercle social. Le salaire est compétitif. Par contre, payé une fois par mois, à la fin du mois. À part ça, tout le reste est bien.

Pros

Travail valorisant; salaire intéressant

Cons

Salaire payé une fois par mois.

29 March 2021
Merci de nous avoir fait part de votre expérience. Nous sommes heureux de savoir que vous vous êtes senti soutenu lorsque vous avez fait partie de notre équipe. C'est ce à quoi nous aspirons.

Satisfied

I just started. I only have one student. Until now all is well. The advisers were very helpful. There was a small training and a follow up to help the teacher find the right training methods. The pay is fair. Although the management should consider the years of experience.

Pros

Fair pay

Cons

Not frequent lessons

20 April 2021
Thanks for your comments! We appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

dynamic school

Good teaching methods. I enjoy the administration team and their philosophy. I like working with people. I have had the opportunity to get some more experience in teaching. I learned to evaluate my students' needs and developed some new methods to help them.

Pros

flexibility in my schedule

Cons

no social benefits/ no job security

20 April 2021
Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We are happy that you gained valuable experience during your time with us and that you enjoyed working with our team!

Positive atmosphere

Plenty of communication between management and teachers. Terms are always very clear, plenty of support material is available to the teachers, as well as consultation if needed. Payment is always on time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ELAM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.4