El Furniture Warehouse Employee Reviews

Best Experience
Server/Bartender/Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 November 2019
Working at El Furniture Warehouse was a fantastic experience. I was able to climb the ranks and try every position. Worked with fantastic individuals and met a lot of regulars whom became friends. Depending on the position I was working everyday was different. I was constantly greeting people and making the guest experience as best as I could. I was taking orders and ensuring step by step service standards that need to be met by the company. I was making drinks for servers, and or managing the whole restaurant. Everyday was different and the work place environment was one of the best environments to work in. Very different and very fun! Learnt how to manage people and be their friend at the same time which can always be difficult. Great experience working for this company and would go back anytime!
Fun workplace
Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 November 2019
I get to come into work every day and work alongside all my friends and have my other friends come in to see me. It’s a fast-paced but very fun place to work and would recommend to anyone.
Very fun workplace with amazing co workers
Support Staff (Host, Bar Back, Expo) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 October 2019
This was a great job, I loved the people I worked with and the management team. Everyone was incredibly supportive, and had no issue helping each other out when work got crazy. The money could be a bit more consistent, but if you're bartending Thursday-Saturday nights you'll be good!
Pros
Free meal during work
Cons
inconsistent money
Fun Bar
SERVER (Full-time/Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2019
How to ensure a customer with eating preferences/sobriety still gets the same treatment as all other customers.
how to dance and have so much fun at work
MANAGER/BARTENDER/SERVER (Current Employee) –  London, ON29 March 2019
Scheduling, guest services, managing 10-20 people at a time, IDing, money management, bartending, serving, food preparation, running food, dishwashing.
Pros
Free meal per shift
Cons
Late nights
Face paced environment
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2019
Making sure that the day-to day operations is an essential part of the job when you have a line up that rounds the corner of guests wanting to come in. It's an intense, fun loving environment fueled by hard working people that make it look easy.
You don't leave your job you leave your management
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 February 2019
This place was an experience I'll never forget. Management is horrible. The company as a whole reminds me of a popularity contest in high school. Most of the staff were lazy and didn't care about their tasks because management didn't do anything about it. Employees got write ups but we're never let go. If a problem was brought upon a manager, they would say, what do you want me to do ? The office had mould in it for over a year before it got taken care of. Deep cleansing wasn't a thing. This place was so dirty I didn't even want to eat the food there but it was free. I'd eat Mostly pastas or salads. Deep fryers are never changed. Temperatures were never under 4°C. The fire alarm pull cord was taped over with masking tape for over a year. Nothing was ever cleaned behind any appliance. During the summer , there are so many wasps on the roof patio but instead of dealing with the problem and paying for someone to get rid of them, they let bartenders and servers and customers deal with it. It's so bad they fly around downstairs on the first floor and the basement. The bathrooms are full of graffiti, appliances are usually broken. Bottom line is , that place is a worthless environment. If people knew what was going on in there, this place would be out of business. If you want to work at a place like this where you need to be liked to move up , or where the environment is always dirty, this is the place for you.
Pros
You have a job and can look for another.
El Furniture Employment Review
Server (Former Employee) –  Bloor Street29 January 2019
Typically I would have opening shifts at El Furniture, which allowed various duties such as: setting up stations, expo, polishing cutlery and occasionally assisting the bar team with anything they requested. I learned to be flexible and was very eager to learn. Management was very friendly, but need to communicate more about things that worked and things that didn't. I felt like I was left in the dark a lot. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people there.
Toxic work environment
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2019
Working here felt like I was trying to compete for popularity in high school. If you respect yourself as an an individual avoid this place at all costs.
The tone set from management is the problem. Unfortunate because this place has so much potential to be a genuinely cool place.
Pros
Working at a "cool" bar, money can be good depending on the night
Cons
Managment, hours, vibe, cult like mentality.
Alcoholism
Prep cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 November 2018
I learnt time management through having to open up, start the equipment, take count of menu items and produce a list to prep for the day and delegating task accordingly to ensure production had no missed steps or lack of product for service hours. From management to the dishwasher we all drank every night.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Alcohol
They do not take care of their employee's
Hostess/Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2018
Obviously not your average restaurant environment. The facade is too much with this one. The Warehouse Group cares more about their brand and money coming in than anything else. They enjoy a quick employee turnover, they tell you your not doing enough when you have no choice to go above and beyond for the volume of people they are squeezing in and out. The kitchen isnt even big enough for 5 people to stand comfortably. Very toxic and stressful environment for minimum wage.
A fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 June 2018
It was a really fun vibe with supportive staff and fun benefits. you must have an outgoing personality and be excited to start a party every night but for nightlife in Toronto it really was a blast.
Cult of Personality
Bartender and Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 January 2018
You're either in or you're out here. Don't let their inclusionary facade fool you here. They pretend at All-for-one, one-for-all values but will drop you in a moment if you fall out of their agenda.
Cons
Great place to work and to increase knowledge of an ever changing industry
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 June 2017
I have always loved the scene that is warehouse. The place becomes a great family for all of the staff involved. Work ethic can constantly be seen as growing.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Young servers
Don't have one.
Dishwasher/Line cook/Prep cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 January 2017
I do not have a review because, I stopped for a second, thought about everything I could possibly write in this mother**cking box and my brain told me don't #&^*ing do it! Is that answer good enough @ s s holes?
Fun Work Environment
Hostess/Support Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 December 2016
Very encouraging staff, there is a lot of room for growth if you're looking into the management side of the service industry
Pros
Free lunchs
Cons
Long Hours
Most enjoyable part of the job
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  410 Bloor St West4 November 2016
It's a very positive, yet hard working environment. I love working with everyone because the standard of customer service is always being raised without sacrificing positivity and respect for one another. We all recognize that we are a team and we strive to exceed expectations before, during, and after service.
Pros
Staff Meals
Cons
N/a
Great crew, hectic environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BC13 September 2016
The expectations were high for the wage. The intensity was stressful and wore me out.

That being said, the management did try to maintain a positive environment and provide incentives.

In the end it was not a fit for me.

We were by far the busiest location for the franchise.
Pros
Free lunch, could play music, good crew, Chef beers
Cons
Long hours expected. Always working more than scheduled hours. Flaky staff.
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 August 2016
very upbeat environment, long hours with flexible schedules, great coworkers and friendly staff and management. All in all a good job.