Edward Jones

Canada120 reviews

Found 120 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,983 reviews
jonesadvisorboafinancialprospectbranchofficeclient

Stressful and awkward

The office format is very difficult and discouraging. The organization knows the branch office administrators are the bones of the system and yet the BOA is underpaid and completely at the discretion of the FA . If you have decades of admin experience, bypass this company and keep looking.

Pay and benefit not that fair. BOA No way to be treat least fair. I know So many unfair on BOA who they communicate privately

BOA never be treated as fair and reasonable. FA is the only boss in the office. Take lots of advantage of BOA from work and personal life. How can be least fair? No way at all. The fact is BOA always have to babysitter FA but with least pay. I knew so many BOA just have to bear and keep in silence in order not to lost job. Lots of overwhelmed story in different branch.

Insights into Edward Jones

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Supportive environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Great Company, Transparent, Supportive

EJ is an excellent retirement savings company, with access to most recommended stocks and mutual funds, as well as the banks products. Not forced or incentivized to push proprietary products, and has great transparency. Ideal if you are coming from another company, to negotiate compensation for $/% of your book and then enjoy increases workplace autonomy.

No Advancement

If your Financial Advisor does not advance then you will be stuck at a low pay. Branches are two people, the Financial Advisor and the Branch Office Administrator. The Branch Office Administrator does most of the work without a license and yet the pay back is very low. If you do not get along with your FA HR will side with the FA because they are who they consider their main asset gatherer. Bonuses are dependent on your FA, if they do not like you then you wont get much of a bonus even though you work hard, this also ties in with your performance review, HR will side with the FA and give you a low rating which is not fair.

Perks are only for Advisors, very little offered to motivate the Branch Office Managers.

Edward Jones has an excellent training program for Branch Office Administrators but the salary range is very low and the benefits are minimal. A lot of one's success depends on the personality of the Advisor we are assigned to, if the Advisor does not appreciate your efforts then there is very little by way of moving up the corporate ladder.

Pros

Good training program.

Cons

Low Pay, No perks.

Administration

You will be promised a lot, don't count on it. The advisors are given cart blanch when it comes to how the administration is paid. With most advisors, money is their God so don't count on being treated like a "team member" and given fair bonuses. Alot of it is lip service.

Depends on the Financial Advisor, some are good and some are bad, pay is standard, but with bonuses it can be very good, but bonuses depend on the Financial Advisor and how generous he wants to be.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Financial Advisors can be bad at times.

Individualistic and stressful workplace.

As an FA you are constantly under the gun to gather assets. Doorknocking is a very painful strategy though it can be successful. Culture is very individualistic, there is no opportunity to collaborate with peers.

Not a pleasant environment to work in .

Worked for an advisor who was not producing many clients and took his frustration out on me the BOA.Therefore I was depressed the entire year I worked at Edward Jones. It wasn't a pleasant experience for me.

Pros

1 hour lunch breaks

Cons

Advisor grumpy most of the time.

Independent branch and bad branch culture

Since the branches are independent, some of the FA’s can treat the BOAs any how without any recognition to humanity. If you are lucky to get selected to work for a good FA, you will love working there. It is high time the HQ start taking this reviews seriously and start working to better the branches. One bad nut will spoil the taste of the soup. If the FA doesn’t like you, they will do everything possible to dehumanize you and make you look Incompetent until you end up leaving or they find a way to get rid of you.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Bad culture at some branch

Disjointed organization

If you end up in a good branch with a respectful FA it's OK. No job growth opportunities for BOAs and salary is fairly low for what the job entails.

Pros

Great for self starters and people who prefer to work solo.

Cons

Low salary, workload is dependent on the type of FA you have. Can be extremely high or very slow.

Unlike Any Other

Being a part of the EJ team is amazing. The beginning is crazy tough the later years is where all the magic happens. The first 5 or so years are make it or break it. If you keep with the plan it’s amazing. If you don’t then it wasn’t meant to be.

Pros

Spirit of Volunteerism

Cons

Starting your business from nothing

Unfair to the employees

Voices are not being heard in the company. Once you leave the firm, no one bothers to solve your issues. Even though the company said the employees are partners, that is not true in reality. Every position works 40 hours per week, and only my role is 35 hours per week.

Pros

One day of personal day

Cons

Bonuses are not paid according to performance, They are paid according to the generosity of your financial advisor

It’s all about sales.

Hard sales targets. If you do not hit your sales target you have four months notice to remedy. If you don’t meet target you are terminated no questions asked.

Pros

Flexible work hours

Cons

Long hours. Total focus on sales. No credit for client service or retention.

Good company but people made it a toxic environment

Toxic leadership, where the general partner outright lies and favours certain individuals. You are made to feel insecure and this individual plays on your fear. Frames you in a way that furthers this individuals career. I wouldn’t recommend working here unless it’s a low level position where you generally would not be subjected to this type of treatment. HR dept didn’t take any action even with witnesses and proof of conduct.

Pros

Company helps clients

Cons

Toxic leadership

They did not value community volunteer work.

In fact I was scolded for missing a prospecting meeting because I had already committed to coaching two local minor hockey teams in a year end tournament.

Pros

Limitless earning potential

Cons

Long hours, management with an iron fist.

Good place to work for, if you get placed with a nice FA.

I enjoyed my job, worked there for almost 5 years. You just have to make sure you do your research on the FA you will be working for. I was blessed with a wonderful boss, however they are not all like that. The support head office offers you is unlike any company I've worked for! It was excellent and I never felt like I didn't know what to do. My only thing, BOAs need to get paid more, they pretty much run the office. They need to be appreciated.

Pros

Work support

Cons

Bad pay

They did not value community volunteer work.

Pros

Limitless earning potential

Cons

Long hours, management with an iron fist.

They don’t walk their talk

Lots of things are promised, not much was delivered. They are way behind with technology and have an old school way of thinking. If you don’t live close to an already established advisors office you’re completely forgotten about and don’t matter. Systems hardly work (technology) so that can be frustrating and it takes way too long to get fixed. Example: If your printer won’t print from the mainframe for months on end it’s apparently not a big deal.Positive is that if you are an established advisor elsewhere they will gladly take you on. They do pay for your licenses so that’s nice too. They have some team building stuff, that’s always good. And most other advisors are nice and helpful.

Pros

Friendly employees

Cons

Not much support when you don’t fit into a certain box

Always under stress, no identified measures

Unsecured job, lots of stress, completely unsecured job could be kicked out at anytime without any explanation.At my time 28 new candidates were accepted and in one year only 8 were left

Industry leader with integrity.

If you are looking for a top employer (refer to Fortune Magazine ranked #7) and top spot for clients (JD Power agrees 8yrs in a row) this is it! Great client focus and strong leadership at a firm managing over $1.3Trillion in AUM. Culture and history make this place VERY different vs a bank. Talk to any successful Advisor here and you will learn what differentiates the successful fromunsuccessful. For the benefit of investors, yes it does take a disciplined, hard worker and thoughtful approach to attract clients. If you are interested as a future associate or client spend time learning why its such a great spot. You owe it to yourself and those you care about (existing and future clients).

Pros

Support, Mentoring, Size, Reputation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Edward Jones. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement