Edmonton Public Schools Employee Reviews

Love working at edmonton public schools
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  L Y Cairns School13 June 2018
Absolutely love this job....As an educational assistant with special needs.
So much fun and great kids!!!
Teachers and other staff are so welcoming at my school...So nice and positive environment
Pros
Great kidlets and staff
Cons
Sometimes the classrooms are hot and muggy on hot days
a place you would want to go back to
Lunch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2018
working as a lunch supervisor I had a great experience learning how to work with children. my job as a lunch supervisor was to watch the elementary students as they had lunch and make sure they followed the rules and then for the second half of lunch I would supervise the children in the playground. what I enjoyed the most about this job was that I was always around children. the hardest part of the job was that sometimes the children wouldn't listen.
Administrative AssistantEdmonton, Alberta (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 May 2018

Flexible work hours

Good salary and benefits

Choice of locations

Some supervisors are very supportive

Sense of accomplishment
Pros
Flexible work hours
Custodial Assistant
Custodial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 April 2018
Great staff to work with. Repetitive cleaning. In a secure setting, never working alone and the students were mostly great. Definately a lot of time moving.
Pros
Part of a team
Cons
Can impact the body
Challenging work environment
Snack and Hot lunch Coordinator, Supervision (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 April 2018
Hard work feeding over 200 kids every day, not always appreciated. No benefits or job security. Management sub-par, especially if you are a non-union employee. Lots of personal time spent on emails, etc. Not paid.
Prouctive
Lunchroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 April 2018
Edmonton Public Schools is a great company to be apart of. During my shifts I was a lunchroom supervisor and the pay is higher than minimum wage. They hire students attending the school which helps us gather work experience
Student work experience summary
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  1 Kingsway NW, Edmonton5 April 2018
I worked as a student helper/caterer for multiple years and learned a ton of useful skills with my time there. I typically helped a baker doing an assortment of pastry and deserts. I learned to use a sheeter/roller, stand-up and counter mixers as well as convection ovens and industrial grills/stoves. The management was always a pleasure to work under and was very adaptable to my needs as a student. They always made me feel welcome and always took the time to teach. The hardest part of the job was getting there early enough(7am) to help with buns which was my favorite part because I enjoy learning and manipulating dough and yeast products.
Pros
close to school and free lunches
Cons
only worked an hour a day
Fun Workplace
Classroom Lunch Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 February 2018
Greatest job I have ever had. I wish I could have done it forever but would require more hours than 1 per day, 5 days a week. Best jobs for stay at home moms!
Cons
Fun place to work and amazing staff
STUDENT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 January 2018
Great place, had lots of fun everyday. Enjoyed interacting with different people everyday. Other coworkers were great too and the management was awesome.
Classroom Lunch Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 December 2017
Its a great place to work while your kids are in school or your an older adult looking to make a difference, listen, learn and help students these lunch jobs are awesome!
No longer a field to be proud of. Politics over education!
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton1 December 2017
Would not recommend employment here.. No longer an institution of learning but a glorified babysitting service catering to the monkeys running the show. Check out the paper to see the proof.
Pros
The Kids
Cons
A broken system
Very organized and well thought out. Great communication.
Lunchroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 July 2017
My supervisor was great at communicating with all employees to have final goals achieved on play ground and in classroom. We were made aware about health risks to children and how to minimize them.
Pros
Doesn't take up much time
Cons
Wasn't emough work to do. Didn't make much money, no training.
A fast paced environment with growth potential
Science Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2017
Greet buses, assist students with special needs ,work with students and teachers to facilitate learning objectives, supervise recess, supervise lunchroom. Bus supervision
Pros
working with children to help them be successful
Cons
children with special needs can be emotionally draining to work with
Great workplace
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2017
Enjoyed working for EPSB for a number of years. Loved the busy times around schools and loved working for kids and the staff. "Bumping" process is stressful, but a part of their system.
Friendly, but slow without projects
Junior Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2017
A typical day for the position of a developer would involve programming tasks of varying nature based on the requirements from a client or another department. Management works on a hierarchy of individuals ranging from the junior to the seniors, followed by supervisor and eventually up to department lead.

During my time as a programmer I learned how to use Oracle applications and used PL/SQL extensively, although other employees would have different tasks such as being a DBA or coding in ColdFusion. Everyone here has a good positive vibe and are always friendly to each other.

However, workflow is somewhat slow given the small tasks that I am given, and the result of me leaving employement at this location, as my contract is expiring and am not being renewed due to a lack of workflow. No other contractors in programming at this location are staying either for the same reason.
Pros
Friendly staff, fantastic health benefits
Cons
Slow moments when workflow is slow. Job security for contractors is largely limited by workflow.
Good Employer
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 July 2017
Management is okay, some managers are better than others
Culture is okay
Work and home life balance is perfect - haven't had to work overtime yet and hours are flexible
A fun place to interact with children of all ages.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 July 2017
It's a lot of fun to interact and read with the younger children as well as helping them with their schoolwork. It helped me gain more experience interacting with children younger with me as I wish to become a teacher.
Pros
Interacting with children
Wonderful place to work
Classroom Lunch Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 June 2017
Very fulfilling work place. You get to interact with not only your coworkers, but students of all grades and school staff. Everyday is different and a learning experience.
Job Security with a full pension.
Head custodian (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2017
A typical day at work : more action
What you learned : Lot of things in a workplace
The most enjoyable part of the job:JOB SECURITY and the Alberta School Employee Benefit Plan (ASEBP)
It is a fun place to work,
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2017
Edmonton Public Schools offers a variety of educational sessions where you can explore new ideas, strategies and implement them throughout your workday.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Large classrooms