Edmonton Public Schools

Edmonton Public Schools Employee Reviews

Canada83 reviews
I was only at Edmonton Public Schools for a brief time before I lost my job due to the pandemic.
The few weeks I was there, I faced many difficulties of learning how to cooperate with children that did not know me as well as learned to discipline and be stern with them when necessary.
Pros
Usually snacks in the teacher's conference room during lunch hour
Cons
Can be hectic and can be stressful when running short on staff and there are many kids to watch
Was excited to get hired on, but soon found out how terrible of a place this is too work. Office politics is out of control here....if a rumor isn't started by 11 then start one policy is in effect and is completely unprofessional. Management is seniority based and is clueless, they walk around with chest pumped out like they are something special. I
wouldn't hire them to stock shelves at the dollar store. They have a old guys club mentality and bully anyone that is different. They express the importance of team work but everyone back stabs and throws each other under the bus, instead of fixing a problem they brush it under the rug. No accountability for anything. Time theft and material theft is also out of control, employees take 1+ hour coffee breaks 1+ hour lunches and if you try to be honest and take shorter you get bullied or rumors spread about you. Also hours are 7-3:30 but people leave when ever they want after lunch it seems...the joke was "got to go to the suppliers"

Also they pay a vehicle allowance for employees which is quite generous, for trades to transport tools and materials people abuse that as well by car pooling and not carrying tools or supplies. It is such a mess. As a tax payer it really bothers me to know that our money is being spent this way. They also don't like smart, knowledgeable trades they seem to like the lazy, unorganized, unskilled but best brownnosers in the game. Oh and if you get a job here in the maintenance building be prepared to gain weight and become lazy.
Pros
good money, benefits, work/life balance
Cons
Management, support, office politics, no accountability
I have loved working for EPSB, always very rewarding to see something finally 'click' with a student. Usually the day is always a little different, and I love that part of the job.
Love my job budget Cut back’s have caused me to look for employment elsewhere. Edmonton public school board cares about their employees
Volunteering at Edmonton Public Schools was a wonderful experience. I met a lot of exceptional people and gained lifelong friendships and relationships.
Awesome atmosphere and friendly people. Lots of opportunities to learn about different cultures. EPSB solidified my learning as psychotherapist intern.
Upper management are old and like to yell at you. Just a sh@$ show most of the time.so many people involved in jobs that nobody knows what the bleep is going on. So many people need to retire there it’s ridiculous! Typical union mentality hide out and do the dog. Show up or don’t show up nobody seems to care
Best culture based place I've ever worked. Unfortunately the PC government cut education budgets drastically and I was laid off.
Great relaxed place with very empathetic people surrounding you. Always people helping out each other.
Love every aspect of my work. Although experience differs from place to place. Overall, it is a good place to work. good people, good students. Some days can be stressful
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Edmonton Public Schools?
No better place to work. Truly amazing. Everyone loves it there and that is why no one ever wants to retire. Great benefits and pay. But it is impossible to get on
Productive job if you enjoy kids. No day is the same. Nice to have the same days off as your own kids. The hardest part of the job is saying good-bye in June. The most enjoyable part is those lightbulb moments. when a child understands a concept and his face just beams. It lights up my world. A typical day at work will depend on your student situation. If you are responsible for a special needs child, Your day will look way different then if you are in a gr. 8 classroom. work place culture can prove to be difficult if cliques are allowed to build. Agreat leader principal can nip that in the bud quite easily.
Staff are very passionate about their work. Everyone goes above and beyond the call of duty to customize learning the meet the needs of the students..
Having worked here for six years I’d say best career I ever had and I assure you it is not just a job!!! They try to keep your training up to date and I’ve always felt respected in my position!
There is no job security working as a Substitute Teacher. They employ you when they need you and drop you when they don’t.

It’s hit and miss with management. Don’t always expect to be treated fairly.

The teachers are gold.
Fantastic place to work all the staff and the students are absolutely wonderful

This job provides the perfect balance between work as well as my family life and still enables me to drop my own kids off at school most of the time
The job itself is fairly easy and the hours are great. Coworkers are mostly great people other than couple of bad apples. Job security is very dependent on a yearly budget however and which political party is in charge. As soon as they think there's not enough money in the budget you are the first ones to get laid off. They go by seniority not job performance, You can be the best worker on the crew but if someone started working there earlier than you they get to keep their job while you get laid off, even if they're causing nothing but headache for the management.
I feel like a valued person. I am welcomed in each school. No discrimination. I Would highly recommend working for EPSB. Only thing is as a substitue, I dont get paid for summer vacations or Christmas or PD days.
Edmonton public schools provide a good platform to grow and build your career.
The school environment is very good for new joinee and a good team of supervisor and teachers to work with.
I enjoy working there and working with the kids. I have been there since February 2019. All the staff are great to work with. Its in a good location.I recommend.
Although the position could be rewarding on a rare ocassion, when students would catch onto something they were at 1 time struggling with. The teachers and principals took advantage of you all the time. I always felt like my position was unstable.
Loved working here but the principal didn't really like me so I decided to resign and because it was within my 6month probation I can not get another job with them. All thanks to the "review" my principal gave me.