Edmonton Public Library

Edmonton Public Library Employee Reviews

EPL Paradise

I learned so much when I worked there. Before my days there, the Dewey Decimal System was a foreign subject to me. I picked up on it in no time. Once an elderly man asked me for help finding a book, and after getting the Dewey Decimal reference for the book, I found it in seconds. That man was so happy, he gleefully responded by saying, "Young eyes!"I met so many great people there, both customers and fellow colleagues. My supervisor was typically fair, and eventually came to realize that while I could not work at as fast a pace as my fellow Student Pages, I did my work with absolute precision. I never once got in trouble, and I really appreciated my superiors, including librarians, library technicians, management, and supervisors. There are numerous former colleagues of mine from there that I'm still friends with to this very day.

Pros

Union, Job Security, Little to no drama or workplace problems

Cons

The odd difficult customers and co-workers, smutty books and magazines

Friendly and Fantastic

EPL treats their employees better than any other place I've worked at. The pay is substantial, the staff is incredibly friendly, and the work itself is rewarding and challenging. If you want a job that pushes you to do your best while giving you genuine community-driven motivation, the Edmonton Public Library is perfect for you.

Fun workplace

EPL doesn't pay you enough but you will learn interesting things here. You feel you are giving back to society here. that's one of the biggest positives.

Pros

work life balance

Cons

Politics

Too hard management

Employees who have been working for a long time treat new ones like babies. Faced a bit of racism and favouritism. Sometimes managers can be way too hard on their employees. They should also give benefits to their part time employees. People who have worked at the library before should be given preferences while hiring in the future.

Excellent culture and co-workers

It was a pleasure working at the Edmonton Public Library as it values the diversity and differences in the customers they serve; I loved getting to know and connect with the community. The people I worked with were always willing to support one another and I always felt I was accepted as part of the team very quickly.

Fun Workplace

It is not a hard job to work at, and the staff are all very good people, in the time I worked there I had no problems and everything always went smoothly.

excellent first job

it was a well paying job for a high schooler with four hour shifts twice a week so i could still focus on school and other activities, although you could choose to double hours in the summer which was great for some extra spending money. overall it was good, the people were nice and although the work could get boring, due to its repetitiveness, it wasn't particularly difficult and the environment made going to work enjoyable. it was also really easy to talk to the managers about any concerns i had about the job and they tried their best when scheduling to take into account personal schedules.

Easygoing and fun time

I was not paided but the staff at the libray were super helpful and understanding. They had a very good system in place and I flet very welcomed and supported. The job was very easy and nothing about it put any pressure on the workers.

Pros

helping a kid read

Cons

volunnteer position

Excellent place to Work

Excellent Team Work Everybody that is involve in the process make they best to make the job go smood Excellent Management Style: You always has the opportunity to share with your direct Manager the best way the get the job done on time Life work balance: You always have the time to finish you job during the time they give you to finish it so you never have to take work at home

Easily the best job I've had so far.

I worked as a Student Page in high school, and I was one of the first student pages that was trained for that branch. The staff is easygoing and friendly. Hours were pretty good, and the library was not open on holidays. There were times where customers of questionable character would come in and harass the female student pages, but they were dealt with swiftly and in some cases banned from the library. They take the security of the staff quite seriously.

Pros

Great hours and staff

Cons

Work can get pretty repetitive

Nasty organization poor management

I am a former employee who watched as the management said they valued opinions...they did not. Managers were encouraged to gossip about employees but not look at their performance reviews. Favoured got ahead others bullied till they were too stressed to stay working. Love what the library stands for though

Pros

great salary and benefits

Cons

bad managers

Fun place to work

EPL actually respects and loves their employees. They pay them well and get respect and hard work in return. Definitely would work here again! They also throw amazing Christmas parties!

Pros

fun positive environment

Amazing Workplace with Awesome Coworkers

- Really understanding supervisors who knows the stress of being a student, and works around your school schedule. -Relaxing place to work at with some interesting customers visiting all the time. -Sense of family within the workplace.

Student Page

It was a great job and unfortunately had to leave it for hockey. but they were very accommodating and it was a safe place to work. the supervisors were there if I needed and overall a great job.

Beware

Unbalanced work-life, scapegoating, bullying, and absolutely no support for managers. The CEO does not know how to lead and does not investigate issues.The more you give the more they take away and expect. Stay away if you value your self-worth.

Really uplifting

So much fun! I got to work with many individuals in random teams which helped build up staff relationships. We even went skating at lunch together!

EPL is a great place to work. Great support and leadership from management. Ability to learn and grow with EPL's extensive resources. Also, it is great working for an organization that does so much for the community.

Fun place for Graphic Design

Busy, fun place to work. I enjoyed the graphic design experience and had a wonderful team to work with! I would recommend it for an awesome place to work!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Edmonton Public Library. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3