Edmonton Public Library

Edmonton Public Library Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
Excellent culture and co-workers
It was a pleasure working at the Edmonton Public Library as it values the diversity and differences in the customers they serve; I loved getting to know and connect with the community. The people I worked with were always willing to support one another and I always felt I was accepted as part of the team very quickly.
Fun workplace
EPL doesn't pay you enough but you will learn interesting things here. You feel you are giving back to society here. that's one of the biggest positives.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
Politics
Too hard management
Employees who have been working for a long time treat new ones like babies. Faced a bit of racism and favouritism. Sometimes managers can be way too hard on their employees. They should also give benefits to their part time employees. People who have worked at the library before should be given preferences while hiring in the future.
Fun Workplace
It is not a hard job to work at, and the staff are all very good people, in the time I worked there I had no problems and everything always went smoothly.
excellent first job
it was a well paying job for a high schooler with four hour shifts twice a week so i could still focus on school and other activities, although you could choose to double hours in the summer which was great for some extra spending money. overall it was good, the people were nice and although the work could get boring, due to its repetitiveness, it wasn't particularly difficult and the environment made going to work enjoyable. it was also really easy to talk to the managers about any concerns i had about the job and they tried their best when scheduling to take into account personal schedules.
Easygoing and fun time
I was not paided but the staff at the libray were super helpful and understanding. They had a very good system in place and I flet very welcomed and supported.

The job was very easy and nothing about it put any pressure on the workers.
Pros
helping a kid read
Cons
volunnteer position
Excellent place to Work
Excellent Team Work Everybody that is involve in the process make they best to make the job go smood
Excellent Management Style: You always has the opportunity to share with your direct Manager the best way the get the job done on time

Life work balance: You always have the time to finish you job during the time they give you to finish it so you never have to take work at home
Easily the best job I've had so far.
I worked as a Student Page in high school, and I was one of the first student pages that was trained for that branch. The staff is easygoing and friendly. Hours were pretty good, and the library was not open on holidays. There were times where customers of questionable character would come in and harass the female student pages, but they were dealt with swiftly and in some cases banned from the library. They take the security of the staff quite seriously.
Pros
Great hours and staff
Cons
Work can get pretty repetitive
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Edmonton Public Library?
Nasty organization poor management
I am a former employee who watched as the management said they valued opinions...they did not. Managers were encouraged to gossip about employees but not look at their performance reviews. Favoured got ahead others bullied till they were too stressed to stay working. Love what the library stands for though
Pros
great salary and benefits
Cons
bad managers
Fun place to work
EPL actually respects and loves their employees. They pay them well and get respect and hard work in return. Definitely would work here again! They also throw amazing Christmas parties!
Pros
fun positive environment
Amazing Workplace with Awesome Coworkers
- Really understanding supervisors who knows the stress of being a student, and works around your school schedule.
-Relaxing place to work at with some interesting customers visiting all the time.

-Sense of family within the workplace.
Student Page
It was a great job and unfortunately had to leave it for hockey. but they were very accommodating and it was a safe place to work. the supervisors were there if I needed and overall a great job.
Beware
Unbalanced work-life, scapegoating, bullying, and absolutely no support for managers. The CEO does not know how to lead and does not investigate issues.The more you give the more they take away and expect. Stay away if you value your self-worth.
Really uplifting
So much fun! I got to work with many individuals in random teams which helped build up staff relationships. We even went skating at lunch together!
EPL is a great place to work. Great support and leadership from management. Ability to learn and grow with EPL's extensive resources. Also, it is great working for an organization that does so much for the community.
Fun place for Graphic Design
Busy, fun place to work. I enjoyed the graphic design experience and had a wonderful team to work with! I would recommend it for an awesome place to work!