Edmonton Police Service

Edmonton Police Service Employee Reviews

If you are truly a service-oriented person, this could be your career.

When people say that policing isn't a job or a career but a calling, I wholeheartedly agree. There is no career similar to it - perhaps the military. If you are not committed to putting others ahead of yourself, then look elsewhere.The brother/sisterhood in policing is perhaps only rivaled by the military as you are literally placing your life in the hands of your squad mates. When you have a good leader and a good squad/section/unit mates, you will likely feel like you never want anything to change. And, as with any organization, a poor leader will want to make everyone else jump ship.Within the EPS, you can have a very varied career and never have to change organizations. Your choices of careers range from super high energy to white collar management-type of work. You should never be able to say that you are bored with your job. If so, that's your fault!Some of the sights, sounds, smells and memories of work on the street can leave emotional scars so be prepared for that. Conversely, the street is, in my opinion, where you can serve the greatest good and have the largest impact on the citizens of Edmonton. You will undoubtedly literally save someones life if you work the street for even a handful of years.As a family person, the hardest part of the job on your family is also the best part of the job - shift work. Yes, you will miss the occasional birthday or piano recital, but you will also get to go on school field trips, have five days off in the middle of the week, etc so that you can have quality time with your family. Not very many Dads get to go on field trips -

Pros

Very tight comradarie, good pay, good benefits, 100% recession and Covid-19 proof employment.

Cons

Some of the things that you have to deal with will hurt your heart and soul

Bad

The Edmonton police commission is the worst place in the world to work. The management is constantly fighting with the staff they are horrible. Nothing good to say about them

Challenging, secure, adventurous,

Smart decision for me at that time in life. Helped me evolve as a person. Taught me to be consistent and open minded. Sympathetic but still firm. Financially a very good choice

Pros

Adventure every day.

Cons

Shift work as you grew older

Good inclusive work environment

Good place to work as a software developer. I met lots of friendly, professional people there. They do take their professionalism pretty seriously, though.

Productive with lots of learning and humor.

The people that I worked with were hard working with lots of laughter and fun throughout the day. We would celebrate birthdays and anniversaries with cake or luncheons. I learned something new every day which helped my grow into a productive member of the team.

Na

Management imposes poor policy decisions and direction for the front line would not recommend the chief was investigated for deceit for lying about incident with marginalized community and retired to avoid accountability that sums up management style

geat place to work

Great Team to work with. team environment is amazing. the uncanny support you get from eachother is unbelievable. great place to work. the cafe had a great breakfast sandwich as well.

Enjoyable place to work

I love working for Edmonton Police Services. Since initially becoming an employee in 2007 I've been able to make lateral moves 3 times in order learn new skills and advance myself. There are opportunities on a regular basis for advancement. It's somewhat like a family.

Very good introductory job with very little upward movement

A warehouse job with a lot of data entry and customer service. Attention to detail is very important because you are dealing with evidence for court and the various systems that are in place to keep things working efficiently. The job is pretty stress-free if you can manage to not make mistakes which is easy enough once you get the hang of things. For an entry level job, the work/life balance is pretty good as there is not anything for the typical worker to do once they leave, and if you are asked to stay late, you are always compensated.

Collaborative and competitive environment

Fun to workplace just be ready for the unexpected when you are a dispatcher for 911. It's hard to balance family life and work because you work 12 hours around the clock.

Jobs at Edmonton Police Service

See more jobs

High paced, high work load

Good management, enjoyable co-workers. High call volume, policing support typed role. Must be able to multi-task and work under high levels of stress. Varied work type and experts in many different software applications.

Cons

12 hour shifts, varied from nights/days

Great Challenge But Difficult

I would only recommend this job to anyone that has done extensive research prior to submitting an application. Make sure that this is 100% what you want to do before you get into it.

Learning experience

Overall, my experience with the Edmonton Police Service was eye opening and productive. I worked at the front desk receiving phone calls, complaints, and conducting criminal record checks. I participated in a handful of ride alongs with uniformed officers and developed a real feel for the job itself. It definitely made me more eager to end up on a police force in the near future.

Pros

Free experience

Cons

Only twice a week

Productive, fun, engaging.

The people I work with are a great group. We are very productive but at the same time we all have fun. The company puts on group events or competitions : eg, Stanley Cup , World Soccer Play offs, where we have pot luck lunches on the teams that are playing. Each group will make a food from that country / province/state. The supervisors door is always open and they don't hesitate to stop and listen. The supervisors will even go around to each and everyone and take the time to say "Good morning."

Pros

Sporting events lunches, fun people

Cons

No cons for my positon

Extremely busy work place without respect for employee

Typical day was extremely busy with constant interruption which prevent employees to focus and adequately perform job duties. Employees concerns were never taken seriously which cause lot of tension among superiors and employees. Once voiced discomfort definitively felt change in management attitude toward employees. Mostly cold attitude.Those who voiced their concern are treated like black sheep leading to isolation. Some employee don't say anything because they are afraid of speaking up. Very bad culture but only in this department, employees from other departments looked very happy. Very unsupportive environment. The hardest part of the job is work load that is impossible to handle with lot of rules to remember. Job posting are not reflect at all the scope of the duties that are required to accomplish. While asked for job description from HR was told that there isn't one and new is in formulation stage. Even though all information are accessible externally, the employees feel they are entitled to babysitting which takes unnecessary time from reps to look for their answer instead of focusing on quality of other more important and sensitive part of the job. Time off like vacation are distributed based on seniority which new person have no opportunity to have any time off when wanted like summer even though it is a very small department of 8 -9 people. Very unreasonable interdepartmental rules with very old, old behaviour and rules that cause turnover in the department.

Pros

Second Friday off

Cons

unbalance work load, lack of management support, lack of respect for employee

fun place

its been such a great experience working there i really enjoyed it everyone there is really polite and joyful its was really fun working with all the staff

Great Place

Great place to work; good atmosphere. A good variety of positions. The only down fall is the lack of parking. Great management, coworkers care. Great relationships and focus on a healthy lifestyle. Days go by quickly.

High Stress job. Not for everyone

The pay is fairly good being over $23/hr. Perks including police cats who will keep you sane. Cons are a generally toxic social environment where people talk poorly about everyone else around them, regular office stuff so I hear.

Pros

Cats, Free entertainment

Cons

Gossipy environment, Superiors have different rules

Demanding, fast paced, but fun and friendly working atmosphere

Working in unionized, big company with lots of wokers with different work habits, sometimes difficult personalities, but enjoying diversity and chalenges. Even dealing with serious, confidential information and workload, it was fun, vibrant place.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Hard to get vacation time in summer

Amazing Place to work!

Work environment friendly, enjoyable Co-hensions among units Organizations and multi-tasker Statistics Data entry Fun Would like to be permanent

Great job

Patrol the city and respond to calls from dispatch. Working a lot of hours in the office typing reports and driving to and from calls

Pros

great job

Cons

no life outside work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Edmonton Police Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement