Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers Employee Reviews

Very welcoming
Student (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 February 2019
As a newcomer, it's a must visit stop because it's really helpful for Immigrants. They all have a very warm and welcoming personalities and are extremely helpful.
Managers to Stressed - Mennonite Centric
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 July 2018
Lack of diversity in the management and the board means that the central ethos is to follow lead mennonite staff members.
Managers in the esl department are burnt out and so many issues are ignored or scapegoated on others

Pay is great for esl teachers though
Pros
great wages
Cons
burnt out lead esl manager; no diversity in management
Very positive
HR Administrative Assistant (Practicum) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 April 2018
Very positive job place!
My experience during the intensive Administrative Professional Practicum Program from March to April 2018 was very positive. I had fun, but we also worked very hard to achieve my goals. I loved every moment of this professional experience by EMCN, and their team was always supportive, helpful, energetic, and knowledgeable.
I was so happy to have my professional practicum at the Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers as a bilingual front desk clerk.
Pros
Helpfull team
Cons
Stressful Enviroment
Produ tive and fun workplace with a good workplace culture.
SENIOR MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2017
This place really allows you to do what you love and give something back to the community. The ability to see a smile on the faces of those whom you help makes the time go by quick.
Pros
Flexibile workplace culture
Excellent
Resource Room Facilitator (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2017
Excellent working environment. Informative orientation provided. As a volunteer, I feel valued and appreciated in the company. EMCN is a great government agency to work with. Information on the settlement, employment, education and other newcomers benefits are discussed.
Great work atmosphere
EAL Teacher (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2017
its a great place for work
great staff
admin believes in diversity
equal employment opportunity
helps new comers to canada
offers great opportunities
Pros
diversity
Cons
diversity
Customers satisfaction
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 October 2016
• Reconciled A/P and A/R Sub-Ledger to General Ledger with follow-ups of delinquent items
• Developed aging report, performed aging analysis and followed up on overdue balances
Inexperienced operations management makes your future uncertain
ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 September 2016
The immigrant clients of EMCN are compelling as they are striving to improve their new lives in Canada. You will be filled with a sense of purpose in developing programming or managing your portfolio of projects.
BUT be warned that the operations and executive management will not support you in your job. The operations team is inexperienced in program management and the programs have experienced such high growth that there is not time or support for new initiatives.
Do not expect to have any coaching or instructive feedback. Most managers do not last in this organization and are spit out instead of honored for their contributions.
The only jobs that are safe are the ESL teacher , settlement worker, daycare worker , social worker and employment counsellor type jobs that are clearly defined.
All coordinator and management jobs are open to subjective evaluation and hr policies are not observed for these positions. At any time they will let you go based on assumptions. 40% of management positions are given their walking papers over the last 6 years
Pros
A real sense of purpose to work with motivated immigrants
Cons
Inexperienced management operations team who react vs. coach
Great work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2016
Great work day not much work. I learned how to crate a professional resume, and do effective job search with clients. The management was friendly and easy to get along with, the hardest part of the job is answering the 6 line telephone system, the most enjoyable part of the job is working with clients from different cultures.
Pros
meeting clients from different countries
Cons
Not having enough work to do
A great non-profit organization
Volunteer as Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 July 2015
Though I am only a volunteer, I have seen how the organization works and it is a great place to work and volunteer.
I have learned how to help many people in many different ways. I've had the opportunity to work for a very good coordinator who teaches me new things about the organization to understand better what I do as a volunteer.
Freedom to prepare lessons according to my methods which are effective. Pleasant and fun work place. Students are highly motivated.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2014
Greeting each student by name, teaching the class to communicate using complete sentences and encouraging them to speak in English. I learned about a few customs of other nationalities. The management has given me a free hand to use my methods as well as supplying me with their material. The other teachers are very friendly. I did not find anything hard to do as the students are motivated and learn fast. I am very happy with their progress in communicating in English.
Pros
Free coffee and tea
Cons
Nothing for the moment
Excellent working enviornment
Web Developer / Database Management [Volunteer] (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 August 2012
Excellent management,