Edmonton Humane Society Employee Reviews

Run away before even getting in
Animal Care (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 August 2019
This is an absolutely horrible place to work. Every day animal care staff is overworked because the schedule is made up horribly so staff often end up staying late but they refuse to pay out any sort of overtime. Leadership at the shelter is rude and ignorant. If you try to bring up any suggestions to make changes to try and improve things they are shut down almost immediately. They make staff feel belittled and uncomfortable a lot of the time. They are absolutely no help when it actually gets busy in the shelter they just hide in the office or in the back to make it seem like they are talking about something important. Whenever a complaint is made against anybody HR does absolutely nothing about it and more often than not the person that you had an issue with is told that you made a complaint only creating more issues. All leadership and upper management make it seem like they are this exclusive club and that all other staff are beneath them and they don't need to care about our needs. Staff repeatedly miss breaks on a daily basis because the shelter is so constantly understaffed that they can't have more than one person on a break at a time and unfortunately leadership makes being up doing adoptions so horrid that the staff feel the need to hide in the back away from it all. When extra staff are needed to do less desirable jobs management lets people get away with saying no to doing things constantly. Absolutely no training was provided upon my hire and so I was definitely ill-equipped to be doing my job. Above all else, animal welfare seems to be the farthest thing from any  more... of leaderships minds. They are rude, quick to judge and care more about the money than anything else. All I have left to say is don't even bother applying even if you love animals because guess what you do not get to spend hardly any time with them and the "perks" that come with being a staff member is not nearly good enough to make up for all of the awful things that the base staff put up with.  less
Dumpster fire
Animal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2019
EHS is one of the most toxic environments I have ever worked in. The board of directors has no clue what actually makes a shelter work and could care less about the animals. The management team is the worst part, outrageous turnover, disrespectful, under qualified and lazy. They will not help when the team is under staffed and repremand the workers who are there for not getting everything done. The behavior, medical, and animal care teams are horribly under paid and under staffed and they do all the work to make the shelter run. We worked ourselves to the point of exhaustion with no recognition. They keep workers who dont do their job, because they dont make waves, and fire the ones who work hard and question the decisions being made. All the positive reviews of current employees are clearly management trying to do damage control. Do not work here unless you are prepared for exhaustion and complete mental breakdown.
Pros
The animals and equal level coworkers
Cons
Management, board of directors, pay, benefits
New Management is all about money, safety/animals not priority
animal care (Current Employee) –  Edmonton9 June 2019
I've worked at EHS for a few years, and upper management always seems to be an issue. Each time there's a turnover in upper management (CEO's, Directors, etc), you hope maybe this will be the change for the better. It never is.

Directors are severely under-qualified, and make changes without listening to staff who have been here for much longer and know better. They have been firing long-time staff for seemingly no reason over the last couple months, and also creating toxic environments to force other staff to leave.

All the new managers and directors only care about money. They are cutting corners in terms of safety just to try to make a profit. We are a non-profit charity, this should not be our top priority. The animals should be #1 priority.

There aren't a lot of policies and procedures in place until something bad happens (volunteers/public getting hurt, cats left in a vehicle, etc). It's almost like working in a new start-up company, as nobody has any idea how to run a shelter.

Not sure if the review published on May 9 2019 is fake but it is NOT better now.

The only good thing about working here is the animals (obviously) and the amazing friends you make (it is easy to bond with coworkers when you're all struggling together). The Animal Care team members are amazing and work so hard to make this temporary home for the animals sanitary and welcoming while they're here. I love my team and the only reason I haven't left yet is because of them.
Pros
coworkers feel like family, the animals
Cons
no recognition for hard work, management is underqualified, everything else
Organization in crisis
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2019
EHS has had a stunning amount of turnover over the past year. Respect, kindness, honesty between management and staff have all diminished rapidly since I started this job. The leadership is unacceptably underskilled. There is no value placed on experience or years of service. Communication is terrible and as a frontline staff, I relied on rumour and conjecture to know what was happening in the workplace beyond my immediate area.
Pay is as low as they can get away with. Any performance increases I earned over the years were effectively negated with the recent minimum wage increases. I filled out more surveys on what I would want to see for recognition and how EHS could recognize front line staff than I received acknowledgement of my contributions and efforts.
My immediate team and coworkers were great and individual efforts within that group made the job worthwhile and fun, but it did not make up for the lack of vision or strategic plan and current rampant incompetence of management. Your voice as an individual is not heard or valued.
In short, EHS needs a major overhaul. They could really learn to use the same compassion they claim to have for the animals in their care with their staff.
Toxic Work Environment with Corrupt Board of Directors
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 May 2019
- Board of Directors has no animal welfare experience and has denied multiple applications for individuals to join the board with animal welfare experience. They do not understand the business and make decisions that negatively impact the staff and animals.
- BOD asked board member to step down and created a staffed position for them at EHS without going through a recruitment process. Individual holds no qualifications to hold this position.
-Dangerous animals are placed up for adoption without disclosure to the public. Animals who are returned for biting have their names changed before being placed back up for adoption.
-98% of leadership has turned over since fall 2018
-Animal Health/Care departments are understaffed however administrative positions continue to be added to support directors in their work.
-Donor dollars are misused paying for a large number of severance packages, investigations of bullying and harrassment towards staff by the BOD/Interim CEO and WCB premiums.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Board of Directors, Bullying, Harrassment, Turnover
Wonderful and getting better all the time!
Animal care (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 May 2019
I have really enjoyed working at the Edmonton Humane Society. It's so great to see the animals and their new families! The medical and behavior teams do so much to take care of our furry friends. There was some turnover but it's so much better now and really good things are happening! Management is stable now so that probably helps. I like that management is listening to staff and taking our ideas.
Pros
Cuddling cats and dogs, my team has hard workers
Cons
There was a lot of change but it's better now
Wonderful Organization -Animal Focused
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 May 2019
Honestly the commitment to animal care is amazing, there is so much focus on growth and organizational change its hard to not be excited to work here.

Positive, productive and supportive culture, the key initiative is to "set each other up for success".

Volunteers here are incredible! - no joke, best people ever.

As long as you do your work, be kind to others and animals and have a thirst for knowledge, you will go far with this organization.
Pros
People, Growth Opportunities, Social Committee Events, Events, Volunteers
it was fun
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 April 2019
I was only a volunteer but i cleaned kennels , helped take care of small animals such as changed water, feeding, just being there for them & petting them.
Do not work here.
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 March 2019
This place has gone downhill so rapidly in the past few months its frightening.

LITERALLY ALL of the managers and directors have quit or just disappeared into thin air with no explanation in the past couple of months. There is nobody left. I dont even know who my boss is as there are no managers left. Nobody knows what they are doing and we are all too frightened to ask questions in case we are next on the chopping block. Crazy decisions are being made every day that affect animal welfare and staff safety.

The place is in complete and utter chaos and we are heading into kitten season with no-one left who has any idea what they are doing. This place is going to be utter mayhem if something isnt done.

Every day I come into work wondering who will quit or disappear next, or will it be me. worst feeling ever wondering every day if you will be fired for no reason or waiting for the next email that someone else is gone. Or they just disappear with no explanation never to be seen again.

Cannot wait to get the heck out of this nightmare. Truly sad what is happening as the animals are going to suffer if something isnt done soon.

I used to love my job, now I live in fear of being fired. All I see is people hiding, crying and looking sad and stressed day after day.
Pros
animals, teammates, volunteers
Cons
Dont even think about working here
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 March 2019
This place is a disgusting place to work, I'm not talking about the animals, i'm talking about the CEO and Board of Directors. They are sycophants and egomaniacs. Their moral compass is broken and i cant figure out what they are doing involved with a humane society as their treatment of staff is far from it. They think that lower level staff don't know whats going on and treat us like morons. hopefully one of my many job interviews will come through and i can leave this toxic environment.
Pros
animals
Cons
its all in my review
Bad Management, Bad Hiring, Bad Shelter Overall
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2019
Where to begin.

This place was cliqueier than in a hospital!

The management do not lend a hand when the shelter is short staffed (they sit in their offices cuddling their dogs and cats all day), and thus, the shelter animals suffer, because now you have overworked kennel staff trying to get everything done.

The higher up someone is, the worse they treat the kennel staff it seems. On top of that, they hire people they know, and they don't rotate shift schedules, so enjoy only ever getting weekdays off. You can barely take any vacation as well, because again, the hierarchy.

They also treat volunteers like garbage, almost as if they have no idea, the shelter relies 100% on the FREE TIME those people provide.

You are not paid well, compared to the higher ups... Sorry but the people getting feces sprayed in their faces every day deserve to be paid well.
Pros
a shower to wash the feces off you at the end of the day
Cons
everything else
Awful
Animal Care and Client Relations (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 December 2018
Coworkers are disgustingly rude. Management is awful and rude. Only pro is cuddling with animals. So after a long day of having your supervisors/coworkers treating you like absolute garbage, you can cuddle some kittens and dogs
Pros
Literally nothing but cuddling animals
Cons
Everything else
Do not work here
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2018
This company is not worth your time and energy. The management is absolutely horrible, the workplace culture is toxic and the pay is garbage. Other than the animals the people are dreadful. Avoid working here if you can.
Volunteers only
Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2018
Only know of Volunteer positions. It is NW of central Edmonton, closer to St. Albert so not very easily accessible for the majority of people who live south of the river.

They have lots of great classes, but again too far for many people who live in Edmonton to travel unless they have full time jobs. Seniors are limited due to the reduction in pensions imposed by the Federal Government.
Pros
Great people good care for animals.
Cons
Distance, not really centrally located.
Poor Salary and bad management
Animal Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2018
Working with the animals at the Edmonton Humane Society was great, but as an employee I would not recommend anyone work there. The pay is very low, the management (when I was there) was terrible-they would keep employees on even when they called in sick every weekend and wouldn't let me have their days off, (I had to work every weekend and the people calling in sick got at least one day off a weekend). They hire people who are really careless with the animals and don't do thorough cleaning jobs. I was so stressed going home every day I cried almost daily.

If you are adopting a pet, they're great-but I would not recommend working there.
Cons
Poor pay, bad management, careless staff
receptionist
data entry, adoption interviews (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 August 2018
this is the perfect environment for learning new challenges in dealing with the public and pets alike, staff is very friendly, and helpful. management is very easy to work with.
Extremely enjoyable
Volenteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 July 2018
What I did in a day at the society was playing with the cats and petting them. The enjoyable parts of volunteering was the majority of what I did was petting and playing with the cats.
Pros
Free snacks at the break room
Great place to work. Lots of opportunity for advancement
Manager, Animal Care (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 March 2018
I love working here, I have for 7 years. Always room to move and advance between departments or in roles. Management is supportive and offers great feedback. I've had education paid for , get great benefits, and wage is competitive for non-profits in Canada.

Working with the animals is a huge perk, but more so my coworkers, the mission and the values.

Hard work but even more rewarding. I am so happy to be employed by the Edmonton Humane Society.
Pros
Benefits; paid breaks; positive culture; education options; workshops; ongoing advancement
Very corporate, no room for individuals
Behaviour (Former Employee) –  Edmonton12 March 2018
A lot of the staff doing the physical work were great, HR and management seemed very disconnected from the animals and other staff. There was a lot of pressure to support management in their decision making without question, even when ethically ambiguous decisions or changes to procedures were being made. Discussion was not encouraged or even tolerated. It made for a very unsettling culture. Those who are exposed to euthanasia decision making processes while at EHS seem to be negatively impacted by the way it is handled and are made to suffer through it alone with no support.
Pros
Benefits, animals
Cons
Impersonal, cold culture, unethical, very low pay
Only done one shift
Adoptions Desk Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 February 2018
I volunteered for one day, which was super fun and very rewarding. The staff is willing to help you out as needed, but its a fairly intuitive role. Its also very rewarding as you can directly see your impact.