Edmonton Catholic Schools

Edmonton Catholic Schools Employee Reviews

Canada54 reviews

Great benefits, toxic management

Worth sticking around when you work at a great school, especially when considering the pensions, time off, and yearly raises (small increments). Management was toxic and played favourites.It can be unrealistic to meet the needs of everyone you're expected to support, so it's super important to prioritize, be creative, and have strong communication

Pros

Benefits, relationship building

Cons

Buy in

working as a substitute gives you an indication to which schools you can see yourself working in the long term. .

advantages of being a substitute is that you are able to work in different schools, meet many children and find the environment best suits you if looking for a more temporary/permanent contracts that may come up during the year. Staff are usually friendly and welcoming. If you like the school its good to leave your details if another assignment comes up.Internal opportunities are advertised on staff site if you want a more permanent position.

Good pay and quick advancement, i was hired for casual in thr beginning but then after 3 months as a casual i got permanent position, the school i work in right now is very good, friendly staffs and nice building, great principal and vice principal. Health benefit and retirement fund.

So disappointed with a faith based institution

Are you sure there aren’t any other positions available for you in a different organization? The focus should be on the students, support staff (EA’s, OT’s, SLP’s, etc), instead a lot of money seem to be useless spending on office items, senior admin & staff.A large amount of bullying and child like behaviour from staff, very clicky and back stabbing, it’s best to record conversations with others or better yet keep to yourself. A lot of swearing, temper tantrum’s, whining from staff.HR not very supportive as their hands are tied. Time to maybe show senior staff and admin the door and have some new and fresh people with skills in place.

Pros

Pay and benefits, training

Cons

Long hours, non professional environment, pecking order, favouritism

Wonderful Experience

I really enjoyed working for ECSD. I hope to work for them again. Staff were great, benefits were great, work-life balance was great. I had a wonderful position and was able to make a significant difference in my students' academic achievement.

Fast paced

The management was poor and the team was uncooperative, however, you can learn a lot with their training program available. They offer excellent benefits and time off.

I loved my job

I love being an Early Learning Facilitator. Working with parents of special needs children is a privilege and one I hope to continue. I hope I can find a position as rewarding as my current one.

short time there but enjoyed it

worked at many schools and had opportunities to work with a broad range of students and faculty members. Job security is an issue as well as lack of hours

Good place to work.

You do not stop learning. Great environment. Good benefits. Very good management support. At the beginning it is a bit hard to make substitute work but once you have a position, it is very enjoyable.

Very good company to retire

ECSD is a great company to retire because it secures a future for your family. Great atmosphere to work, people are very friendly and if you like to work with children this is the place for you. Benefits and pension is great too and lots of vacation and holidays.

Edmonton Catholic

I have been there for 11 years. I am lucky to have a second family and love going to work everyday. I am truly blessed to work for Edmonton Catholic. Top 70

Great place to grow and learn

Thank you for the opportunity, guidance and support. Overall I truly enjoyed the folks I worked with, however found educators/social work ethics and practices collided.

Nice place but can be tiring

This is a nice place to work but some of the schools can be tiring and annoying. While some schools are like angels and the principal and staff are awesome, this can't be said of others where the principal and some staff treat you like you are gabbage and they are doing you a favour. They even encourage some students to disrespect educational assistant. It is not fair to this people. Other schools are just perfect with the principal, staff and students.

Some of the staff at the school I worked at hate themselves. All they do is complain.

The employees at one school are professional liars. They've been there too long and they think they own the school. The Educational Assistants(Some of them) love to lie and cause trouble). The Assistant Principal is a follower and trouble causer. She listened to everyone but me

I didnt like it

I found it to be a clicky place especially if you dont fit in or get caught up in gossip. there is alot of people that will be nice to you just to get you to talk then backstab later

Family Liaison Worker. You deal with everything, keeps you on your toes.

It is a great experience. They want staff to have child services experience. The board its self is very top-heavy in the system Managers have managers that have assistant managers. I would think that money could be spent on the classroom supports instead. They spend a crazy amount of money on Faith Development Day.

Pros

Great experience, wonderful kids

Cons

Principals are teachers, not social workers so sometimes, depending on the person. The communcations can clash.

Loved it

Lovely place to work, learned many different skills while employed by ECSD. Would recommend this employer to anyone. Summers off while the kids were young was a definite bonus.

This was a challenge for me coming from 25 years in private sector.

Enjoyed working in the public sector in the Education market. Rewarding to see the dollars spent on children in the classrooms. Great learning experience for me to see how the Government budgeting process works. Creating key performance indicators for the "dashboard" enabled Principals of the schools to quickly check their spending against budget. Developing relationships with school administrators was challenging at times as their core competencies are teaching and communicating where as our goals and objectives centered around Finance and management of assets.

Excellent

Edmonton Catholic Schools is a great employer. I have been very happy working here as an Early Learning Facilitator & now as an Educational Assistant.

supportive work environment

Chances for training and advancement. Positive workplace culture with an environment to learn and grow. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students and staff.

Very great environment to work with and productive for students.

Have worked with them for the last 5 years, but it is a great environment, friendly staff, great leadership. Would recommend the schools as I have a daughter who can be a testimony for the place.

Pros

Free launches

Cons

Many activities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Edmonton Catholic Schools. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement